Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

True Lives documentary on the murder of Jerry McCabe

Options
  • 06-06-2006 11:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭

This was an excellent piece of television. The highlight was certainly the moment when she asked Gerry Adams what he knew of the murder. As usual, like a coward, he weaseled his way out of answering the question, preferring to resort to the usual meaningless stock comments that he makes in these situations. This was compulsive viewing for those Shinner-voting idiots that think these scumbags should be released from their hotel, sorry, prison. Ann McCave is a real hero.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Damn I forgot this was on. Will it be repeated ?

possibly,I missed it aswell.
    Someone with digiguide would know (ask here as they mostly all have it)

Great tv tool digiguide,tells you when/if everything is repeated.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Saw it, for a wonder (I don't watch much TV). Ann McCabe's dignity and courage are inspirational.

I somehow doubt it will have much of an influence in the Republican movement. Anyone who is equivocal about the wrongness of cold-bloodedly murdering a family man doing his job is, quite frankly, living on a different planet from the rest of civilisation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭samb

Ye Brilliant. I think Anne McCabe may have single handily slowed the rise of SF/IRA's electoral gains by at least a seat or two. It's only right that she continues to make noise and hopefully in years to come history will not be revised and our streets will not be named Adams as they are Parnell.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

Brave woman to confront adams at a shinner fund raiser, he spoke to her like she was a small child, I'd love to see her run in the next election up against that gunner runner Ferris.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭mountainyman

Forgot her husband was the only person killed. This documentary was an insult to Jean McConville.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭ScottishDanny

Forgot her husband was the only person killed. This documentary was an insult to Jean McConville.

What about the other nearly 3,500 people killed in that conflict and the Catholic civilians still being attacked in 2006? Nobody has a monopoly on grief, I feel sorry for Mrs McCabe and the McConville family but when prisoners were released under the GFA it affected thousands of people on both sides of the divide who saw the killers of their loved ones walk free (for every Micheal Stone there was a Patrick Magee). They didn't like it but they dealt with it. Why are people so hung up about one Garda? AFAIK his killers are still serving their sentence. I'm not trying to provoke anything here I just don't understand how 1 Garda = 3,500 others.

And whats that about rape? First I've heard.:confused:

What about the other nearly 3,500 people killed in that conflict and the Catholic civilians still being attacked in 2006? Nobody has a monopoly on grief, I feel sorry for Mrs McCabe and the McConville family but when prisoners were released under the GFA it affected thousands of people on both sides of the divide who saw the killers of their loved ones walk free (for every Micheal Stone there was a Patrick Magee). They didn't like it but they dealt with it. Why are people so hung up about one Garda? AFAIK his killers are still serving their sentence. I'm not trying to provoke anything here I just don't understand how 1 Garda = 3,500 others.

And whats that about rape? First I've heard.:confused:

Ah you'll have to do better than the stock reply.

Lets have something more original than a deflection/avoidance of the awkward issue that the IRA apparently sanctioned/agree with the shooting dead of a respected catholic law enforcement officer of the Republic of Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭ScottishDanny

OK,
    Why is his religion an issue? :confused: I personally think the whole affair was wrong, it broke the conditions of the ceasefire and I'm sure the perpetrators are not eligible for early release under the GFA so I don't believe the shinners have a case for releasing them early. I also understand that the robbery contravenes the PIRA 'green book' (operations in the 26 counties, shooting of Garda or Irish Defence Forces)so yes there are a lot of questions there. Like why risk the whole peace process for a post office van in Limerick?

My point is why is Gda McCabe singled out by public opinion as some kind of lone martyr? Is that not a fair point?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

My point is why is Gda McCabe singled out by public opinion as some kind of lone martyr? Is that not a fair point?

Maybe because it is a more practical way of stunting SF's electoral growth than lobbing all the deaths at them which they will brush off by citing deaths on their own side at the hands of British forces. They can’t really justify Mc Cabes death even by their warped standards.

It's not about one person being more important than all the other deaths; it’s about using this case as a focal point, representing public repulsion at acts of violence. This specific case is representative of all the victims as in it puts pressure on those who try to achieve their aims through violence against innocent people.

as for risking the peace process for an opportunistic raid, well not all Provo’s support the peace process and a spanner in the GFA works is just what some on both sides want even if the groups they're affiliated to support the agreement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭rcs

This was an excellent programme that showed Sinn Féin/IRA up for what they really are - a bunch of cowardly, cold blooded criminals & murderers.

It also showed what a complete and utter liar Gerry Adams is. For how long after Gerry McCabe was murdered did he spin the line that this was not an officially sanctioned IRA operation? Then when the heat had died down and he knew it wouldn't affect his party, he came out and admitted that it was, in order to get his "colleagues" out of prison under the terms of the Good Friday Agreement.

You can't claim one thing and then when it suits you claim another, in order to get those men freed, who should be doing time for murder in Mountjoy, not manslaugter in the holiday camp that is Castlerea.

What sort of right minded people vote for these terrorists? God forbid the day Sinn Féin ever get into government down here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 I disagree

I found the programme to be pure dribble. It was over emotional and tried to portray this person as some kind of semi-God. It went over the top and it would have been better not to have shown so many home videos of that man. Ben was a right laugh with his sob poem.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭rcs

I disagree wrote:
    Ben was a right laugh with his sob poem.

I'd say you would be a lot of laughs too, if you were riddled with bullets and left to die

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Ugh that stupid bint Toireasa Ferris winds me up. maybe something went off accidentily she says, yeah fifteen ****ing times. and in two groups of shots. the man who pulled the trigger sprayed the car with bullets, stopped, and sprayed the car with bullets again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Brian Capture

Detective Jerry McCabe was killed accidentally by 17 stray bullets fired by a group of freedom fighters.

He died while they were trying to end British rule in Ireland.
    Those men are heroes who should be freed.

Detective Jerry McCabe was killed accidentally by 17 stray bullets fired by a group of freedom fighters.

yeah,like Gerry mcCabe was anything to do with the North and like the bullets werent fired at him or anything.
    Did you run your statement by the health and safety dept for the bit about the stray bullets ? :rolleyes:
    I'd like to see a united Ireland too,I'd campaign for it with billboard advertising if the bank would give me the money for to run the campaign,I wonder should I go into the branch with a double barrel shot gun and demand an increase in my overdraft or the first teller I see gets it? :rolleyes:

To tell you the truth,your little soundbite holds as much water as a sand riddle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭RedPlanet

I thought the program was rubbish.
    It had it's moments alright, however RTE loves to venture into their anti-SF rants and it just devalues their calibre of journalism.
    I love the part where (this one guy) was onabout how after the killers are released we'd see them paraded around the SF Ard Feis, lamented as heroes.
    When in reality, this incident is hugely awkward for SF.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭ReefBreak

RedPlanet wrote:
    however RTE loves to venture into their anti-SF rants
    I'm not sure what RTE you've been watching for the last 30 years.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

RedPlanet wrote:
    When in reality, this incident is hugely awkward for SF.
    ...which explains why they've been abandoned to their own devices in Castlerea, with no visits from SF officials from one year's end to the next.

Right?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Ben was a right laugh with his sob poem.

I'd consider myself a cynic who isn't often surprised by the depths people can sink to, but well done, you just set a new marker.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭RedPlanet

ReefBreak wrote:
    I'm not sure what RTE you've been watching for the last 30 years.

you know, the one that enjoyed Section 31.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 I disagree

civdef wrote:
    I'd consider myself a cynic who isn't often surprised by the depths people can sink to, but well done, you just set a new marker.

:D I thought it was a bad poem that a child could make up in two minutes. Thats all.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Wow, I wish the world was as black and white for me as it seems to be for you.

You'll never destroy the church by pulling down a steeple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭\m/_(>_<)_\m/

You'll never destroy the church by pulling down a steeple.

but its a start...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭mountainyman

I am bored of hearing about Gerry McCabe and his widow is just an ordianary woman who has gone mad with grief. She is not inspiring or uplifting. I am not learning anything from her. Her suffering has not ennobled her. I am sure if I was in that position I would be all about the forgiveness.

She should be more saintly.

I am bored of hearing about Gerry McCabe and his widow is just an ordianary woman who has gone mad with grief. She is not inspiring or uplifting. I am not learning anything from her. Her suffering has not ennobled her. I am sure if I was in that position I would be all about the forgiveness.

She should be more saintly.

well said, and so true... she is getting as tiresome as the mccarthy sisters...

and we all know who funded the mccarthy sisters, i wonder who is funding this campagne.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Meh

Yes, I bet you republicans would like them to shut up with the inconvenient questions about how your "movement" murders, steals and lies. The comments in this thread disgust me, Sinn Fein supporters are revealing their true terrorist colours.

Meh wrote:
    Yes, I bet you republicans would like them to shut up with the inconvenient questions about how your "movement" murders, steals and lies. The comments in this thread disgust me, Sinn Fein supporters are revealing their true terrorist colours.

im not a republican and i have never voted sinn fein.

so start that moan again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭IronMan

and we all know who funded the mccarthy sisters, i wonder who is funding this campagne.

Truly stomach churning stuff. Why do people like you hate the republic and this democracy so much?

Advertisement