Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gigs/Events mod?

Options
  • 06-06-2006 11:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭

Any chance we could get a dedicated mod for Gigs/Events?

Duplicate threads are popping up on a daily basis, and there’s still a sticky for the boards Christmas gig ever present.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I was wondering about that link, thought they were starting a bit early.
    Two unholy alliance threads i not nearly enough. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Yeah, it's a bit of a mess all right.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Isn't Kali the dedicated mod. Perhaps a PM to him?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Haven't seen Kali about much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Two unholy alliance threads i not nearly enough. :)

Ooops, that would be my fault, as one of those threads was moved from Rock/Metal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Haven't seen Kali about much.

Kali
    Last Activity: Today 09:00

I'd say send him a PM. Seem's like he's around. A lack of posting doesn't indicate people aren't there :)

Ooops, that would be my fault, as one of those threads was moved from Rock/Metal.

Hmm, once I thought about it, maybe that half the mess in the Gigs/Events forum is us dumping all the gigs and events from our respective fora without checking if there's already a thread for it in Gigs/Events.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

John2 wrote:
    Hmm, once I thought about it, maybe that half the mess in the Gigs/Events forum is us dumping all the gigs and events from our respective fora without checking if there's already a thread for it in Gigs/Events.

Generally I check whether or not a thread has been posted in Gigs/Events already. Seems like the one time I didn't bother, eh? ;)

Hehe, I never bother to check as I check all the fora in the order they appear in the subscribed drop down menu and it would upset my OCD if I checked Gigs/Events first.

I'll PM Kali a link to this thread and see what he says.

Generally the posting procedure for a large concert at Gigs/Events goes like this, taking Pearl Jam as an example:

"Pearl Jam rumours" thread
    "Pearl Jam gig announced" thread
    "Who's supporting Pearl Jam?" thread
    "Support announced for Pearl Jam" thread
    "Who's going to Pearl Jam?" thread
    "Times announced for Pearl Jam" thread
    "So, what did you think of Pearl Jam?" thread

Wouldn't it be better to have these type of questions/answers condensed into one thread?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

hello :)

yes i'm alive.. just couldn't be arsed posting much these days... gigs/events (and comp/tech) gets a look over every day, mostly I just tidy up ticket sales and multiple spam by the same author plugging various noname gigs in some boghole.

In terms of big events, you'll always get multiple threads, oxegen the last few years must have had over 30 that I condensed.. unfortunaly this does tend to make threads rather incomprehensible and hard to glean info from... I only notice one thread for Pearl Jam though (and that was tidied up a while back).

What would probably be a better idea would be making the most popular thread a sticky so ppl notice it immediately (generally nobody ever checks the second page of threads and thats where the problem lies).

Again people tend to move any music related things in there, without checking first (oxegen threads from every second boards is again a prime example).

Anyway if someone else wants to help mod the forum as well I don't mind at all.

I agree, threads that are mushed together too much get rather messy, I'm just recalling one of the overbloated Oxegen threads from a year or two back.

Perhaps promoting the search function in a kind and friendly manner would encourage posters to look up past threads and post from there?

Or how about making a sticky with links to all the original threads on big events such as Pearl Jam?

If there's noone else up for the job, I'll volunteer to help you out Kali. Get the place in order. :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

*Votes for random gig/events regular to be made mod*
    It could be youu!

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Ok... I'm going to break (or at least skirt) one of my own rules and make FreakyScenery co-mod of Events/Gigs because he seems to give a sh*t, has a clue and this doesnt appear to be a "make me mod, me me me" post.

Freaky if you are up for the job (please reply here), I'll forget to make you mod tomorrow if you like. After that I'm sure a PM will make me do it sometime next week. :)

Hey, at least I'm being honest!! :)

DeV.

/me waves at Kali.

I've been observing Freakyscenery's posting for a long time and despite some bizarre notion that this year's Electric Picnic line up isn't great, he seems the full shilling.

John2 wrote:
    I've been observing Freakyscenery's posting for a long time and despite some bizarre notion that this year's Electric Picnic line up isn't great, he seems the full shilling.
    Yeah, that was a bit crazy, it has the yeah yeah yeah's and more importantly DJ Shadow. I'd love to see him.
    Anyway, may you do a super job Mr. Scenery.

Yeah, that was a bit crazy, it has the yeah yeah yeah's and more importantly DJ Shadow. I'd love to see him.

Goin' to Belgium for the Shadow. :)

OK, I'm ready for the job DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Ahh good stuff.. welcome to the ranks freakboy!

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I remembered I remembered. All on my ownieo!!

Kali, will you show him the ropes? (and the Mod forum). Thanks.

DeV.

Advertisement