Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

OpenSolaris: Best way to get started?

• 07-06-2006 12:06am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭

Ronseal warning: Does what it says on the title :)

Basically, I'm not afraid of unix, but am at a slight loss as to how to get started with OpenSolaris.

At first I was looking at the opensolaris.org page, until it was explained to me that the site mainly provides the kernel (like kernel.org for linux), and isn't an actual distribution in itself (which is a relief because all of the instructions looked like you had to have a working OpenSolaris system running to get opensolaris installed)

So what would people recommend trying to do? Go with one of the three major distributions: Schillix (Done by Jorg Schilling - who I'm not endeared to after his SuSE/cdrecord stunt), Belenix (which seems to be primarily a livecd but installable) or Nexenta (basically Debian OpenSolaris)? Or install Solaris and then drop in the OpenSolaris kernel (which seems to be how OpenSolaris.org seems to suggest it - basically go with Solaris Express and work from there - although the bit of Sun's site linked to explain Solaris Express seems to need a lot more stuff)?

So do any people have any recommendations on a good way to start with OpenSolaris.. like a distro they found good, etc?

Aoife

Advertisement