Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorms Thread Only

Options
  • 07-06-2006 12:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭

I have started this thread for future storms and to declutter the forum of independent Thunderstorm events and to post to one thread only.
    It be interesting to look back at this thread at the end of the summer and to recap any interesting developments that has hopefully happened within the summer months by posting,displaying graphs,sferics,even photos of cloud formations etc etc.

So here is to many thunderstorm events to come:D

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Severe thunderstorm potential starts Saturday:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Loobz

darkman2 wrote:
    Severe thunderstorm potential starts Saturday:cool:

Yeah, what developments are there for this weekends natural fireworks display? Are we in for a treat or just a few distant rumbles? Planning on goin camping sat evening near the beach... should be interesting.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Loobz wrote:
    Yeah, what developments are there for this weekends natural fireworks display? Are we in for a treat or just a few distant rumbles? Planning on goin camping sat evening near the beach... should be interesting.

Dunno yet tbh. Normally its hard to say this far out. Just have to wait and see for another couple of days.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

I say at the moment that the east central(thats carlow,kildare,w dublin,meath,right up to monaghan) is most at risk from Thundery downpours as there will be a SE wind from the Irish sea covecting over Eastern areas and exploding over the above come saturday.

Or maybe we will get the classic bay of biscay storms that run up the eastern side of the country if wind turns a bit more southerly,but cant be certain if these logistics pan out.:(

Maybe we will all see some fireworks display at some stage,really hard to tell untill closer to the weekend,but it will become alot more humid and sticky for everyone.

My detector is recording lightning strikes off the south coast and some over land waterford,can anyone confirm this.

• Advertisement

Yes theres thunder down that direction,specefically west cork according to my sources.

Closed the other thread.
    Let all the discussion go in here for now.

I'm actually expecting to hear thunder overnight and during tomorrow.It's a given.
    Has to/had to happen really despite the gfs-the conditions are textbook for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Isle of Wight detector is showing activity over Cork and Kerry area as well.
    Seems to be drifting my way I'll post if anything happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Takeshi_Kovacs

Yep at least two strikes in last few mins to the southe east of me, and looks like it is heading this way... and there goes another one...
    hope it doesn't get too close though cos i have no lightning protection for sky dish or wireless mast up on chimney :(

Damn, my part of ireland is just cut off on that Isle of Wight detector

Yep at least two strikes in last few mins to the southe east of me, and looks like it is heading this way... and there goes another one...

were bouts r u

• Advertisement

On the basis that's there's a slim chance of anything happening further north, he/she must be in the Munster area. It's not enough that they won the rugby, now they steal our thunder.

Snowbie wrote:
    were bouts r u
    Few miles outside of Tralee

lol father,looks like the south from west wexford right over to craggy island is in gor a hammering tonight.
    My detector is ploting lots of strikes over cork kerry at the moment and just off the limerick coast

Since winds would appear to be slack enough I'd imagine it's a case of getting the deck chair out if you're down that way and enjoying the show. Us Pale'ers might have more luck tomorrow even if it happens during the day when we can't see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

I could see angry anvils way off (say 20^ above horizon) travelling down the N8 towards urlingford round 9pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Loc : Top of Dromtrasna, Abbeyfeale.

Seen a lot of strikes (20+) off the coast of ballybunion. Seems to be hanging around.

Hmmm, according to http://en.allmetsat.com/images/noaa_dlr_uk.php (the 20.48hr shot), I was looking at the line from Limerick City to Youghal.

This is a preview of my detector bare with me and i will try to improve the quality

Snowbie wrote:
    This is a preview of my detector bare with me and i will try to improve the quality

Quality seems to be fantastic, and it confirms what I am seeing.

:P

This is from the 1200km range out,as we can see these storms built up from a humid SE flow from the bay of biscay.

• Advertisement

Snowbie wrote:
    Best quailty i have seen so far.. very detailed... hmm where does a fella look for one of these?

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭YeAh!

ooooo it started lashing rain 2day for the first time in 2 weeks. I'm excited, I LOVE thunder storms.....

Best quailty i have seen so far.. very detailed... hmm where does a fella look for one of these?

I got all my weather stuff from the US.Much cheaper than the UK.
    I use a Boltek LD-250 lightning detector(thats a screenshot from the software i use with it),the data is in realtime so when a strike happens it beeps on the console and the software plots it on the map exactly when it happens,very accurate too.

Sorry about this Earthman...

WHEN PEOPLE ARE POSTING IN HERE - PLEASE POST YOUR GOD DAMN LOCATION!!!

Just had to get that out in the open...

Normal Service resumes... :D

about 3 flashes a minute to the south of me, tralee way but out to sea Ireckon.

Snowbie wrote:
    I got all my weather stuff from the US.Much cheaper than the UK.
    I use a Boltek LD-250 lightning detector(thats a screenshot from the software i use with it),the data is in realtime so when a strike happens it beeps on the console and the software plots it on the map exactly when it happens,very accurate too.
    Nice but expensive, and strangely ebay does not have any listings for it...
    I guess i'll have to get the soldering iron out and have a go at one of these... http://www.techlib.com/electronics/lightning.html

TS starting to lose their intensity for now,check out the graph on the screen shot down the bottom right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,947 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Just got a Shower in Tullow and thought I heard a rumble but not sure.

• Advertisement

irish1 wrote:
    Just got a Shower in Tullow and thought I heard a rumble but not sure.

Not detecting any TS

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement