Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorms Thread Only

Options

Comments

Snowbie I can hear a lot of distant rumbles outside now,I'm not sure what direction its coming from.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

That cell is exploding about 40kms off wexford coastline,its intensified since last posting,anybody in south see anything yet.Its dark enough:)

Now a strike just off rosslare,in for a treat now.:D
    Now a second strike off rosslare(im waiting for upload to finish)

Its to the south of here and its a constant rolling rumbling.
    Theres little or no gaps in it.

Earthman wrote:
    Snowbie I can hear a lot of distant rumbles outside now,I'm not sure what direction its coming from.
    Direct south of you EM.
    you should see flashes now,must be 3/permin thats the ones closest to you,but outa that cell i have recorded 83 in last minute,its huge.

I can hear the rumbling inside now.
    That must be some storm as I am way up on the wicklow wexford border.

Going out to see if I can see lightning.

BUT by the non stop nature of it, this pc will soon be off!!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Snowbie wrote:
    That cell is exploding about 40kms off wexford coastline,its intensified since last posting,anybody in south see anything yet.Its dark enough:)

Now a strike just off rosslare,in for a treat now.:D
    Now a second strike off rosslare(im waiting for upload to finish)

This is gonna be close for Dublin but I think we wont see this. Maybe the flashes in the Irish sea and the odd rumble.

Earthman, whats the cloud formation down there?

yup
    the lightning is here now to the south,like balls of flame rolling across the sky.

It's at least 20 miles south of here yet snowbie but it must be something fierce as the thunder is non stop :eek:

Going out again,that was frightening!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭idontknowmyname

okay something really weird happened in the Balbriggan area today. Most people were in bed and all of a sudden we heard the biggest bang ever and a really bright flash. We thought it was a gas explosion as with thunder you can normally hear low rumbling. It was just one huge huge bang and light and that was it. I wasn't at home when it happened but I heard it where I was staying. People came out onto the streets and were looking out their windows. My sister thought a plane that has just gone overhead had exploded or something.

Did anyone else experience it this morning? Was it thunder or something else?

Earthman wrote:
    yup
    the lightning is here now to the south,like balls of flame rolling across the sky.

It's at least 20 miles south of here yet snowbie but it must be something fierce as the thunder is non stop :eek:

Earthman, if you could, I know it may be a bit dark but could you get a baring on where this is headed. Looks a beauty:D

okay something really weird happened in the Balbriggan area today. Most people were in bed and all of a sudden we heard the biggest bang ever and a really bright flash. We thought it was a gas explosion as with thunder you can normally hear low rumbling. It was just one huge huge bang and light and that was it. I wasn't at home when it happened but I heard it where I was staying. People came out onto the streets and were looking out their windows. My sister thought a plane that has just gone overhead had exploded or something.

Did anyone else experience it this morning? Was it thunder or something else?

There was lightning this morning so maybe it was that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Ryanoneill2006

Earthman wrote:
    yup

Do you guys think it's still on course to hit Dublin??

looking south from here a lot of the storm is out at sea and some down over wexford.
    It's definitely heading north as its getting louder and I only saw lightning just before the post I made here reporting it.

Cant make out the clouds as its too dark but the storm is still at least 20 miles south of here edging north slowly.I've seen some very distant cg's with an orange flame of light wide out from them.
    Theres also been some sheet cloud to cloud lightning nearby,maybe 10 miles away.

Do you guys think it's still on course to hit Dublin??
    Thats what were trying to find out. Certainly if it hugs the coast it could well, not really hit dublin but you would see lightning and probrably here a few loud rumbles. Though im still not convinced it will make it here.

This is the intesity shot,large and general northerly direction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭pp_me129

Oh wat a storm please come my way plz

Earthman wrote:
    looking south from here a lot of the storm is out at sea and some down over wexford.
    It's definitely heading north as its getting louder and I only saw lightning just before the post I made here reporting it.

Cant make out the clouds as its too dark but the storm is still at least 20 miles south of here edging north slowly.I've seen some very distant cg's with an orange flame of light wide out from them.
    Theres also been some sheet cloud to cloud lightning nearby,maybe 10 miles away.

Ok thanks, I will of course have my beady eyes on the radar which the latest one suggests a weakening of the main cell but the rosslare one going strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Heyes

anything for south dublin ?

Untitled-1-1.jpg

Told Ya it was a sign !!!!!!
    Now nobody can doubt my wisdom

Red denotes earlier strikes and the brighter the color the newer the strike,i can see a northerly motion in this with a hint of an NNE,but none the less we in Dublin should pick up the side of this storm.

Still nothing here in Waterford no flashs or distant rumbles at all so fingers are still crossed

• Advertisement

Snowbie wrote:
    Red denotes earlier strikes and the brighter the color the newer the strike,i can see a northerly motion in this with a hint of an NNE,but none the less we in Dublin should pick up the side of this storm.
    Ask yourself which one do you belive?
    http://www.isleofwightweather.co.uk/live_storm_data.htm

Quite a lightning show to my south now.
    It's edging closer.People down towards Enniscorthy way towards the coast must be getting it bad.
    Theres some great orange flames of cloud to cloud lightning rolling along the clouds and some straight lines of cg embedded.
    Theres also increasingly closer what I call shaddow flashes that look like they are in the sky overhead

Sounds great Earthman... any pictures??

pp_me129 wrote:
    Ask yourself which one do you belive?
    http://www.isleofwightweather.co.uk/live_storm_data.htm

That one is my own,as i posted earlier the IOW has its signal sponged by the welsh mountains so it is very inaccurate.I have my own lightning detector which im uploading screenshots of.Its located out my back garden 22feet up on a mast, with all my other toys.;)

I believe my own alright.

It's very close by now with fierce displays of forked lightning,there was three in a line in the last blast I saw.

It's about 10 miles south of me now so I'll soon have to turn off the pc

Rite the next METO radar image is do or die. If its being killed off, the game is all but up for us. Earthman certainly thinks its going strong so thats good. Its making steady but good progress up the coast.

Sounds great Earthman... any pictures??
    I am very tempted but I'm staying inside for this,I'll leave the photography to you :D

This storm is likely to get to Bray in the small hrs if it keeps going ta its current speed.

Earthman wrote:
    I am very tempted but I'm staying inside for this,I'll leave the photography to you :D

This storm is likely to get to Bray in the small hrs if it keeps going ta its current speed.
    Maybe not, the latest radar suggests that its not doing well once it hits the coast. It may not make it here at all:(

Hope you get some good flashes there Earthman:)

About 5 miles away now and yes DM2 I can testify that it IS going very strong.

No rain here as yet though.
    Looking outside is like looking off the coast of africa at the moment :eek:

Switching everything off now,I'll report in the morning.
    It should be with ye sometime in the wee hrs so enjoy!!!!

• Advertisement

Cheers Earthman!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement