Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorms Thread Only

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

highdef wrote:
    Had a quick look out of my bedroom windown in D13, not too far from Snowbie and saw a very distant flash to my east northeast. My bedroom faces mortheast and I can see the aircraft warning light at the top of Howth hill to my east south east but nothing in that direction.......YET

Hidef hows it goin,here is the shot of the lightning you saw NE of you.
    looks like it be a late one tonight for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 thunderone

snowbie,

had massive f**k off clap of thunder just now 0023!!!!!Jaysus it was loud.did u plot that on your radar. I had just came inside so didnt see flash.

btw if i cant report take it my power has gone

I seen a few sheet lightning flashes and there was also two forked which looked directly south of my poition, abbeyleix area.

Another loud clap now 0027hrs.Very loud.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

lightning to my south and west and east:D :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Hearing some loud claps of thunder and few flashes of lightining in sw dublin. They seem to becomming more frequent now. If they are infact coming from laois direction we should be in for a good show here :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Heyes

YeAh! wrote:
    We never get thunderstorms down her in Kerry :(. The last time I saw a good thunder and lightning storm was in France. I was speaking with a person from Estonia and she said whenever there is bad weather there is always thunder and lightning. Why don't we get any here?

there s normally a thunderstorm most summers.

• Advertisement

Lads for your info,

This thunder is only like something I've seen outside ireland, I haven't heard or seen this bad since I was younger (early '80's).

It feels like there is artillery shells landing close to the house with each clap...And I don't do drama btw that is what it feels like.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

Have had a few loud claps of thunder and a few flashes of lightning here in Portlaoise in the last 10 minutes or so. Plugging out computer now to be safe. Night night! :D

man i wish i had a digital cam so i could snapshot some of these shots, its not easy to get good shots in housing areas so maybe in the mountains or high hills. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,263 ✭✭✭highdef

OK, there have been a good few flashes of Lightning to my northwest which is rather unexpected as I was looking south easteast before hand. Thunder is distant and occuring approx 30 - 40 secs after each flash. I forget the formula - How far would that make the storm?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

thought it was one mile per second no?

• Advertisement

Dublin is goin to be attacked from two sides,south and SW.
    Hey DM another 3 days of this:D

Snobie, is there a storm to the northwest of D13??? I'm a little confused as it appears to have just come out of nowhere

time interval between flash and clap/5= dist in miles

e.g 10sec/5= 2 miles

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Snowbie wrote:
    Dublin is goin to be attacked from two sides,south and SW.
    Hey DM another 3 days of this:D
    Yeah I was thinking about the collision of the two different storms:eek:

Hidef its from our sw and west.Over say blanch.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

so , how far does the light from a flash of lightning travel at night, and how far does a clap of thunder travel at night?

so , how far does the light from a flash of lightning travel at night, and how far does a clap of thunder travel at night?
    Same as day (not being smartarsed) The darkness intensifies the effect and also it is more silent usually at night, due to the lack of human induced noise pollution, this will make the storm seem more violent in most cases. Also thunder and lightning is one of our most natural fears which we can trace back to the times when we hid in our caves way back when!

So even though I marvel at natures most spectacular weather events.....inside the caveman is telling me to hide! Self preservation at it's finest!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Heyes

all s gone quiet in s dublin :(

Thanks for that Thunderone - Another flash of lightning to my NW just now and this was forked. 40 secs till thunder so guessing around 8 miles away. Clous has a slightly orange tint from the streetlights so I'm assuming there is some heavy rain falling from it. Still dry here though and can see nothing to the southeast - Snowbie, is there still a lightning display in the south/middle Irish sea?

You can here thunder from flash of lightning usually in a 10 sq mile radius,to put it in laymans terms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

bloody lightning....i'm trying to listen to medium wave!!!!:D

highdef wrote:
    Thanks for that Thunderone - Another flash of lightning to my NW just now and this was forked. 40 secs till thunder so guessing around 8 miles away. Clous has a slightly orange tint from the streetlights so I'm assuming there is some heavy rain falling from it. Still dry here though and can see nothing to the southeast - Snowbie, is there still a lightning display in the south/middle Irish sea?

yes running up wickla coastline,just died down over land.

highdef wrote:

awesome :D

I'm assuming you can normally hear thunder to about 10 miles away or so as according to Thuderone's calculations, the lightning is about 8 miles from me and I can just barely hear the rumbles - well actually clear enough but not loud at all. And Snobie, he reckons the storm is around the Blanch area which would be around about 8 miles or so as the crow flies. It's gone rather quiet though, I have to say

Eyes back to south of dublin now.Oh arent we spoilt tonight:D

Well the 00:30 report from Dublin airport is showing thunder there. I'd say the storm is fairly close to the airport alright

Well the 00:30 report from Dublin airport is showing thunder there. I'd say the storm is fairly close to the airport alright

Also noticed at the 00:00 report, Casement was showing thunder yet Rosslare was showing lightning!!! How strange

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Snowbie wrote:
    Eyes back to south of dublin now.Oh arent we spoilt tonight:D

Just got a flash there, looks like where back on:)

Loudest rumble just now at 00:57 - You hear that one Snobie. Saw the flash through the window but wasn't watching where it came from!!!!

• Advertisement

Has kicked off again in south dublin/n wickla.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement