Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorms Thread Only

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 thunderone

gone quiet here in laois too at 0055hrs. Going to give it approx 30mins then bed...well sleep to be precise. Damn muggy though, very sticky conditions.

Hopefully some thunder action tmw night I may be able to view..

starting to rain heavy here again so that may induce some thunder activity.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

highdef wrote:
    Loudest rumble just now at 00:57 - You hear that one Snobie. Saw the flash through the window but wasn't watching where it came from!!!!

Yeah gettin louder too,like bagdad now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

where are u based,locations :d

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Friend reporting sightings in Tramore, the odd flash every few mins. Didnt hear any thunder tho.

Mainly saw it outside of Tramore in Fenor, temp in the city tonight was 22 Deg Cels, and 19 in Tramore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

Just been to http://www.isleofwightweather.com/lightning.html

It seems to be moving my direction a bit(Cavan), am I likely to see anything do you think? Love a good storm!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Snowbie you still gettin flashes? Im not getting anything now.

Havin seen one in awhile :(

There is 3 weak cells off the wex/wicklow coasts.

Snowbie wrote:
    There is 3 weak cells off the wex/wicklow coasts.

Must be pretty much over:( Little activity near Dublin). Potential in the early hours but I think thats it for a while.

Tend to agree,saw good few intras and fork,so im happy untill tomorrow.Another 3 days of this,aint it great.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Twas activity over wicklow mountains to south dublin area. Saw flashes around 00.15 in Greystones town.

oh well nn all

Snowbie wrote:
    oh well nn all

Good night. Make sure your up VERY early;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,263 ✭✭✭highdef

Right - It's gone quiet so I'm hiting the hay. Good night.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

looks as though the southeast is going to get some horrendous rain in the next 24 hours looking at the UKMET radar charts.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

looks like wexford, roslare area is in for a rude awaken. :D

The thunder here went from 10pm last night untill about 2 am ish.

Some pretty horrendous noise and flashes with forked lightning curling up into an s hook.
    I had to plug out everything.We were only on the edge of the storm,most of which was at sea but it had its finger well and truly inland for a few miles as it traveled up.

Fantastic lightning display

Earthman wrote:

Some pretty horrendous noise and flashes with forked lightning curling up into an s hook.
    I had to plug out everything.We were only on the edge of the storm,most of which was at sea but it had its finger well and truly inland for a few miles as it traveled up.

Glad to see your pc didnt blow up EM- lol
    WE were getting it from the south but more from the west as home grown developed late last evening,we saw a good few strikes alright.Nothing overhead here though.
    Looks like some thundery rain pushing northwards already off the wexford coast.

Earthman wrote:

Kinda died out quick for us, though spectacular flashes all the same:) Any thoughts for today. I think we may have a better chance but only slightly better. Some precip to the south but hardly thundery.

I'd go with the only slightly better.

pressure is too high and its rising...

• Advertisement

Earthman wrote:

At least we still have the southerly flow. Direction of the flow I would say is better. The activity, what there is of it atm, has a better baring for the East and midlands I reckon. The trough appears to be staddling the Irish sea which is good:)

Rain is fading out down south.
    Dull and cloudy here.
    Nice refreshing ne breeze too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

There was a flash of lightning I saw through a gap in the curtains at about 12.30 am roughly. Didn't hear any thunder (window was open). I don't think there was anything after that.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

It was quite close to me (in Clonee, up the road from Blanchardstown) and I had it for about an hour before I fell asleep. Looking at the direction of the flashes, I reckon it was around 2 miles west/south-west of me (about 10 secs. between flashes and thunder).

Saw some great forked lightning.

Earthman wrote:

Examining the charts further, we have a couple of problems:

1. CAPE, its not exactly inspiring for storms.

2. The flow, yesterday we had the problem where the flow was too Northeast. Today, believe it or not, we have the opposite problem. It seems slightly to the Northwest which means where depending on stuff from South Wales. Which could happen later today or early tonight as the heat and convection get going but equally it could ruin our chances of see storms. If anything the midlands and West look best today for me and the south.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,417 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Thunder and lightning last night in north Kilkenny at about 12.30- woke me up in fact.Lightning was really bright but storm didnt last very long at all.

TBH Dm iwasnt expecting to see anything from the sw last night,what a surprise.anything can happen in this air atm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Thunder_struck

Snowbie wrote:
    OK looks like heavy shower came outa nowhere off wexford coast hitting rosslare at the mo,optimism is growing and confidence level soaring that the east will be hit sometime around midnight(dublin area that is)hopefully electric.:D

Right, from here on in I will no longer waste my time looking up 87 different weather forecasts, I will just read Snowbie's posts: Dublin area was hit sometime around midnight. :eek:

At one point there was the loudest bang I'd ever heard and the brightest flash I'd ever seen.....at the very same time. Which led me to believe the storm was located directly above my head.

I know nothing about these things but I'd only ever heard the sound of last night's thunder in New York and Zimbabwe before! What was that all about? Why is my west Dublin thunder sounding like something out of Africa?!

Snowbie? Are you there? Can I have a forecast for west Dublin today? :)

Thank you.

darkman2 wrote:
    Examining the charts further, we have a couple of problems:

1. CAPE, its not exactly inspiring for storms.
    I think though that these storms(certainly last nights ones from what I was looking at) are/were high based so the cape and LI is not as much of a factor.
    2. The flow, yesterday we had the problem where the flow was too Northeast. Today, believe it or not, we have the opposite problem. It seems slightly to the Northwest which means where depending on stuff from South Wales. Which could happen later today or early tonight as the heat and convection get going but equally it could ruin our chances of see storms. If anything the midlands and West look best today for me and the south.
    The wind is North north east here veering more north east than north and gusting close to 20mph at ground level.

The biggest problem today in my opinion is the 1020mb's...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭pp_me129

OK lastest from Waterford City
    As far as i saw no flashes no thunder Last Night

At the moment Very overcast and Is raining!!!!
    Me not Happy

Temp: 20.6 Degrees

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement