Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorms Thread Only

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Right, from here on in I will no longer waste my time looking up 87 different weather forecasts, I will just read Snowbie's posts: Dublin area was hit sometime around midnight. :eek:

At one point there was the loudest bang I'd ever heard and the brightest flash I'd ever seen.....at the very same time. Which led me to believe the storm was located directly above my head.

I know nothing about these things but I'd only ever heard the sound of last night's thunder in New York and Zimbabwe before! What was that all about? Why is my west Dublin thunder sounding like something out of Africa?!

Snowbie? Are you there? Can I have a forecast for west Dublin today? :)

Thank you.

I be glad to Thunder,theres rain pushing up from the south wheather it turns thundery is up to many factors and at the mo it doesnt look like being to significant,but there is another clump likely to follow later this evening and overnight and this one is to watch,with the heat of the land and a very low LI(lifted index) can trigger more storms,again 50/50.
    Overall throughtout will be muggy humid sticky weather with little sunshine trapping the warmth beneath the clouds.But when or if sun pokes through the temp will soar especially inland.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

so far the promised heatwave looks to be a complete washout for us here in Ireland with temperatures only around normal for the time of the year with damp cloudy conditions and showers:( are we gonna see any proper heat at all like the uk is currently enjoying?

I know nothing about these things but I'd only ever heard the sound of last night's thunder in New York and Zimbabwe before! What was that all about? Why is my west Dublin thunder sounding like something out of Africa?!
    Well if the conditions are right you can get a west africa style thunderstorm in greenland you know.

The athmosphere over the celtic sea yesterday morphed into what you would usually expect over the bay of biscay or northern spain.The airmass being unstable,continental in origin and it found itself out over the open ocean containing plenty of moisture which is a perfect breeding ground for storms (much like the norm over west africa).There would have been lots of collision up there between the air masses.

The resulting storms circulated around the New bay of biscay last night before they started to decay.As they were decaying, they started to move north.I'd say at their height they must have been awesome for any boats in the area.

There was also a decaying front over Ireland yesterday which spawned some heat of the day convection helped along by some of the airmass that was creating the stuff down over the celtic sea.

As for today/tonight,I actually wouldnt rule out a repeat but I'm less confident of it.All I can say is look south for imported storms.

Wenesday could be fun with A biscay low heading up over us.The risk of your Africa style storms on that day should be high.

Earthman wrote:
    I think though that these storms(certainly last nights ones from what I was looking at) are/were high based so the cape and LI is not as much of a factor.
    The wind is North north east here veering more north east than north and gusting close to 20mph at ground level.

The biggest problem today in my opinion is the 1020mb's...
    I agree EM,the evening is one to watch,I say the bases of the clouds last evening espeicially Dublins TS was 6500 feet,is more like watching altocumulus as city lights were reflecting off of bases.
    Might get interesting later today with common knowledge saying southerly drift with convective heating and instability over celtic sea,a repeat proformance.As you are our eyes first you will see it before any of us.

Gonzo wrote:
    ( are we gonna see any proper heat at all like the uk is currently enjoying?
    You think the UK are enjoying that?

Temps 29 to 32c are oppressive,I doubt most people over there are enjoying it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Thunder_struck

Snowbie wrote:
    I be glad to Thunder,theres rain pushing up from the south wheather it turns thundery is up to many factors and at the mo it doesnt look like being to significant,but there is another clump likely to follow later this evening and overnight and this one is to watch,with the heat of the land and a very low LI(lifted index) can trigger more storms,again 50/50.
    Overall throughtout will be muggy humid sticky weather with little sunshine trapping the warmth beneath the clouds.But when or if sun pokes through the temp will soar especially inland.

Thanks Snowbie! While you're on Howth head, I'll be under the bed. Again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Earthman wrote:
    Well if the conditions are right you can get a west africa style thunderstorm in greenland you know.

The athmosphere over the celtic sea yesterday morphed into what you would usually expect over the bay of biscay or northern spain.The airmass being unstable,continental in origin and it found itself out over the open ocean containing plenty of moisture which is a perfect breeding ground for storms (much like the norm over west africa).There would have been lots of collision up there between the air masses.

The resulting storms circulated around the New bay of biscay last night before they started to decay.As they were decaying, they started to move north.I'd say at their height they must have been awesome for any boats in the area.

There was also a decaying front over Ireland yesterday which spawned some heat of the day convection helped along by some of the airmass that was creating the stuff down over the celtic sea.

As for today/tonight,I actually wouldnt rule out a repeat but I'm less confident of it.All I can say is look south for imported storms.

Wenesday could be fun with A biscay low heading up over us.The risk of your Africa style storms on that day should be high.

Im not confident about today. I think the track of any storms are always going to be toward the northwest, as thats where the upper level winds are taking any activity. The best we can hope for is development over Cardigan Bay. Im not confident for the East tomorrow either. I think the west will get the fun tomorrow. Wednesday still unsure but looks like the east is the favoured location.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Impressive storm over Laois last night around 12am. Knocked out power for a split second also!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Right, from here on in I will no longer waste my time looking up 87 different weather forecasts, I will just read Snowbie's posts: Dublin area was hit sometime around midnight. :eek:

At one point there was the loudest bang I'd ever heard and the brightest flash I'd ever seen.....at the very same time. Which led me to believe the storm was located directly above my head.

Snowbie? Are you there? Can I have a forecast for west Dublin today? :)

Thank you.

Whereabouts are you Thunder? It was pretty loud in Clonee but never got that close - a couple of miles away was the nearest I reckon. Seemed to quieten down around 1am, when I fell asleep. :)

Only ever experienced the same time flash/thunder a couple of times - once last year (in Blanchardstown) where something very nearby our office was hit, and the big storm that went on all night back in the late eighties.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

July 25th/26th 1985 was *the* thunderstorm.

All nighter with forks everywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Danno wrote:

It was 21 years ago? Wow... I'm getting old... :(

Still remember it like yesterday though. What a storm. Lots of it was right overhead where I was (south Dublin at the time).

I have to admit to being, erm, scared ****less at that one! :eek:

Danno wrote:

Remember that one very well as it terrified the life out of me.
    That was totally electrical and was on the news the following day.
    I remember Gerry fleming with his magic wand and the charts behind him talking about severe TS potential in the midland and east.That was a storm alright.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

i remember that as well about 15 hours of thunder but 8 of those hours was the proper spanish/african style storm., I was scared too and I was only a lil kid then.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,417 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Anyone remember November 2003 in Dublin- unreal thunder and lightning; thats the most recent 'big one' I can remember.Think even a house was struck and burned down by it!

Sun coming through here now, feeling very warm:) Interestingly over Wales on radar just the first signs of development associated with inland convection. If we are to see storms today its from here they are likely to emerge I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

mfitzy wrote:
    Anyone remember November 2003 in Dublin- unreal thunder and lightning; thats the most recent 'big one' I can remember.Think even a house was struck and burned down by it!

Was that october 2003? The reason I'm asking is that I remember a really severe storm over Dublin around october 20th/21st/22nd that year - I left for Australia the following week. It was the first time I'd experienced a 'direct hit' - no time at all between the lightning flash & the thunder. The noise of the lightning bolt itself was awesome!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,417 ✭✭✭✭road_high

peter1892 wrote:
    Was that october 2003? The reason I'm asking is that I remember a really severe storm over Dublin around october 20th/21st/22nd that year - I left for Australia the following week. It was the first time I'd experienced a 'direct hit' - no time at all between the lightning flash & the thunder. The noise of the lightning bolt itself was awesome!

Yes, it could have been october either not sure!!Feels like it was only yesterday though- it was some of the most intense i've ever experienced; normally you don't notice it so much in a town or city, but by god we noticed this one!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,263 ✭✭✭highdef

Yeah, twas October alright, not long before Hallowe'en. Went on for about 2 and a half days. best storm I remember was around August/Sep 1996 or 1997. Ran up along the east coast and got to Dublin around 11pm. Some amazing lightning associated with that. Have most of it on video still, including 3 overhead flashes (which caused several TV's in the area to blow up) with amazing thunder. The 3rd overhead flash was one of those multi flashes that seem to go on and on. In fact the crash of thunder begins before the lightning has finished strobing.....thats how close the lightning was. Wont forget that one.
    As for the here and now, still not much going on storm wise but with the sun now out, it's feeling very warm and sticky here in D8 :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Thunder_struck

Danno wrote:

That was the night I developed a morbid fear of thunderstorms! Never had a damn problem before!

Tomorrows fax chart:

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/brack0a.gif

Looks like the west will get the storms tomorrow, the East I think will miss out. On the plus side though *should* be plenty of sunshine for the east lifting temperatures:cool: Could reach 27C inland just from the East coast.

As for today, I think its pretty obvious now that were not going to get storms in the East. A good chance in the West though.

• Advertisement

darkman2 wrote:
    Tomorrows fax chart:

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/brack0a.gif

Looks like the west will get the storms tomorrow, the East I think will miss out. On the plus side though *should* be plenty of sunshine for the east lifting temperatures:cool: Could reach 27C inland just from the East coast.

As for today, I think its pretty obvious now that were not going to get storms in the East. A good chance in the West though.

I think the threat is less than yesterday,but not given up on it yet.
    Early evening would be the time we know or not.

There is some development over southwest England and Wales with a good cloud base and heavy rain. Dunno whether its thundery yet but they could just be land based storms....

Thats that for today for the East, those showers are dying out, they never really got going.

Tomorrow, like I said I think the west is most at risk but in the East we should get some very warm sunshine at last after all the greyness.

Wednesday looks great for storms for the east as we are in the convergence zone between the 2 landmasses with temps up to 25C and a light northwesterly wind.....:cool:

Yeah DMnlost all potential now.Weather warning out for UK for violent TS for wedensday,havnt heard that one in awhile.If only.

Snowbie wrote:
    Yeah DMnlost all potential now.Weather warning out for UK for violent TS for wedensday,havnt heard that one in awhile.If only.

We *should* get some decent storms on Wednesday:D Meanwhile enjoy the heat tomorrow, then the storms:D :D

Thunderstorms may effect the east tomorrow night. Warm temps during the day should help things. Thats the latest chart anyway.:D

brack0a.gif

Latest from UKMO:

Wednesday
    Hot and humid with torrential thundery downpours across England and Wales. Storms pushing north into Northern Ireland and Scotland, giving the possibility of flash flooding.

Now I know that dosnt refer to us, but the storms have to go through us to get to the North....

Could get 26 or 27C tomorrow in the Eastern half of the country.

A couple of strikes down south,not amounting to much but something in that rain.

Snowbie wrote:
    A couple of strikes down south,not amounting to much but something in that rain.

Its a lost cause at this stage Snowbie. As I was saying tomorrow and Wednesday have more potential then today and yeaterday combined:)

I know i do agree with you.Pity though.
    I will still track them anyway and see what happens.
    Ok i will give up.:(
    Let it be kind tomorrow.

• Advertisement

Look at the cape and LI for tomorrow,looks nice at present time.

http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/FREE/stormwatch.asp

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement