Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorms Thread Only

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Hittin the hay now off to me leaba,storm still goin,though not as strong.
    NNW motion or NW.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

So am I, have to be up early to track tomorrows storms. Hopefully we are not left disappointed again.:)

Night.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Thankx.

Hopefully a better evening tomorrow.

C'yall then!!! :D

nn all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Just stuck my head out the window, could see faint lightning flashes (4) off to my E, SE.

Must be that storm near Wexford.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

You should have stayed up, Danno, because there was quite a show here in Portlaoise between about 3.45 and 5 or so. I had gotten up at about a quarter to 4 to, ahem, attend to some "nocturnal bathroom functions" ( ;):D ) and, just after I switched out the light, saw a bright flash out the window. Opened the window and heard a long, lingering rumble.

Went to the front bedroom and watched several distant flashes to the south/southeast roughly, accompanied by more long, lingering, but not particularly loud, rumbles of thunder. The lightning was flickering maybe once a minute or so and, with the thunder not sounding that loud, I reckoned it was quite a distance off. Then it all seemed to stop completely. I watched for nearly 10 minutes, maybe, where there didn't seem to be any more lightning so I thought it had probably died off.

Then all of a sudden, just after 4 a.m., FLASH! The whole sky lit up with a massive flash that flickered across the whole sky for a few seconds and then there was a much louder, closer clap of thunder. It was funny, I thought, it was almost as if it quietened down deliberately just so it could sneak up closer to me! :D

By my rough calculations (using the old "count the seconds between the flash and the bang, then divide by 5" method) it only came maybe as close as two-and-a-half to three miles but, still, from the bright flashes that flickered across the sky and lit up the place and the relatively loud claps of thunder it was plenty close enough for me! :D

It went on till about 5-ish and then just gradually died off. So, here in Portlaoise anyway, the day has kicked off with a bit of a bang and, judging from the weather forecast for today, it looks like we could possibly see some more fireworks before the day is out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Calling Earthman. He's not online yet as last update to his site was before midnight.

No rain here overnight, but looks like it's wet a few miles south.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Just heard a rumble of thunder here in Waterford.

Had a very severe downpour here in D13 last night.
    Rain rate at 78.7 mm/hr
    5.8mm fell.again just formed off the coast lasted 10 mins or so,woke me up with its severity.
    Nice to know that the TS off the wexford coast moved inland.

Heard more thunder last night alright but I was too sleepy tucked up in bed to care tbh :p

We had a sharp shower before 7am but so far the very heavy rain just south of Gorey hasnt reached us here.It wont be long I'd imagine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

My Strikealert has gone into overdrive with plenty of detections in the 0 to 6 mile range. As of yet I've heard nothing outside. This seems to be an inconsistancy

I've heard something low here from the house mothman.
    Have to go back to work out in it now and the pc is going off as I dont want it fried today.

From the radar the stuff over wexford and heading this way originated over the bristol channel and sw wales and that area is continuing to feed us.
    It's thundery there so the likelyhood of thunder in the East and southeast is high today.

another Ts being exported to Eire,from Wales.
    Sunny SE renamed to TS SE.
    Looks very lively down there,EM and mothman,your our eyes.
    Keep us posted.
    Mothman do you have a skyscan detector?

Sunny and warming up nicely here.HUmid and close.

Snowbie wrote:
    Sunny and warming up nicely here.HUmid and close.
    Warming up nicely alright. I hope the trough moves further north, the southeast ive a feeling is in for some day:eek:

Agreed,they should push futher up to us alright.did you hear that rain at about 4 this morning?

Snowbie wrote:
    Agreed,they should push futher up to us alright.did you hear that rain at about 4 this morning?

Nope, I was fast asleep, I only wake to the sound of thunder:D Thankfully we seem to be losing the irritating and useless cloud we have had the last few days.....

That TS over sw wales is on a NW track again,we need a central wales export for us in Dublin to be targeted.
    Trough line petering out now over Wickla.
    Can feel the electricity out there.very humid.

Snowbie wrote:
    That TS over sw wales is on a NW track again,we need a central wales export for us in Dublin to be targeted.
    Trough line petering out now over Wickla.
    Can feel the electricity out there.very humid.

GFS peps up Irish sea activity nicely particularly this evening:

Rtavn124.png

BTW we want that to peter out, the trough will still be there for thunderstorms to develope on....

Cool.

• Advertisement

The flow is generally starting to turn more northerly so Id say this evening there is a chance for Dublin as new storms develope.

That echo over sw wales moving northwards up the Irish sea.:)

Snowbie wrote:
    That echo over sw wales moving northwards up the Irish sea.:)

Any seferics from it. IOW definatley not picking up anything now. Maybe its in decline?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭pp_me129

Waterford : Lots of ativity last night
    But guess what

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    I SLEPT RIGHT THRO IT!!!!!!

Yes,im just back from lunch and checked when i went home.not many though but is producing.Seems like a nne shift in it now.

any pics ther snowbie

Snowbie wrote:
    Yes,im just back from lunch and checked when i went home.not many though but is producing.Seems like a nne shift in it now.
    Its actually died out to a tiny shower of light rain now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

having a look here http://www.isleofwightweather.co.uk/live_storm_data.htm seems to be activity in the s/se, its probably too small to be detected as a thunderstorm.

Things seem to be quieting down. Should be new development through the evening.......

• Advertisement

Im in waterford and there dosent seem to be any activity
    Clear blue skys

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement