Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorms Thread Only

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Earthman wrote:
    Its actually died out to a tiny shower of light rain now.
    Storms over the sea have a tendency to die down and regenerate themselves,as is the case for this one,the cbs will be still present and it only takes instability to pep it back up.If there is no echoes on radar doesnt mean it has disolved it has just lost its moisture content,i dont think we will be seeing the last of this,if over open water chances it will intensify.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭pp_me129

Snowbie : pic of lastest lightning strikes if possible plz

waterford : Clear blue skys and sun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Thunder_struck

Sorry for interupting.........but honestly, can any of you explain why you love thunderstorms, while the rest of us quake in our boots? Seriously, WHY AREN'T YOU AFRAID??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭pp_me129

That is one big ass storm over england
    According to isle of wright The peak rate was 40/m

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Sorry for interupting.........but honestly, can any of you explain why you love thunderstorms, while the rest of us quake in our boots? Seriously, WHY AREN'T YOU AFRAID??

I use to be terrified myself years ago in my teens,then when i went on hols i got a super storm over in majorca.Kinda sat down and watched it and got to like it,faced my fear in the end.Its spectacular looking display.

Actually Lightning got me first interested in weather when i was just six years old.

daveirl wrote:
    This post has been deleted.

O...............kay. Jeez, I envy you! Wish I felt the same way. Right, back under the bed I go. :(

All land generated,nice one goin up through Ireland atm.
    Im in work thats why i havent uploaded pics.

Snowbie wrote:
    I use to be terrified myself years ago in my teens,then when i went on hols i got a super storm over in majorca.Kinda sat down and watched it and got to like it,faced my fear in the end.Its spectacular looking display.

Actually Lightning got me first interested in weather when i was just six years old.

Bizarrely they worry me less when I'm abroad, have no clue why. I've done the opposite journey, they didn't bother me until I was about 21.....now: the sound, the flashes, the atmosphere, the smell...........:eek:

Had a cousin who was struck by lightning down in courtown,wexford donkeys years ago.It bounced off a tree and she felt nothing,saw the whole thing.Her hair was singed thats about it.she got a bad headache later on that evening allright.Was amazing to see as just looked like a bright stick hitting her.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

The real storms are getting going now across England and Wales. Like I thought almost entirely land-based which may not be good for us. Tomorrow should be far better though:D

Snowbie wrote:
    Had a cousin who was struck by lightning down in courtown,wexford donkeys years ago.It bounced off a tree and she felt nothing,saw the whole thing.Her hair was singed thats about it.she got a bad headache later on that evening allright.Was amazing to see as just looked like a bright stick hitting her.

Snowbie, latest met radar shows a small but very heavy burst of rain on course for the dublin coast, just developed now (its red). Its from the same cell that brought the thunder earlier to Wales:)

darkman2 wrote:
    Snowbie, latest met radar shows a small but very heavy burst of rain on course for the dublin coast, just developed now (its red). Its from the same cell that brought the thunder earlier to Wales:)

Yeah from my post earlier on ,the clouds just lose there moisture content but cbs remain.Thats goin to pep back up a bit.Be home in a half hour and put my detector on to see if its goin to come alive again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 thunderone

Any thunder down South?Wexford?

Seems there may be some thunderstorm activity around the midlands.

Massive CB se of Dublin over sea.

darkman2 wrote:
    The real storms are getting going now across England and Wales. Like I thought almost entirely land-based which may not be good for us. Tomorrow should be far better though:D
    Not according to met Éireann who seem to be of the view that the low pressure and instability will have moved further away over Britain by tomorrow.

Pressure is 1014.1mb here now and falling.Theres also a lot of nice cb's and AC visible to the east,probably the remenants of the South Irish sea activity.

Earthman wrote:
    Not according to met Éireann who seem to be of the view that the low pressure and instability will have moved further away over Britain by tomorrow.

Pressure is 1014.1mb here now and falling.Theres also a lot of nice cb's and AC visible to the east,probably the remenants of the South Irish sea activity.

I think I will go with the GFS;) Of course may not happen but the setup looks pretty good to me for the Eastern half of the country. The further north the better.

Rtavn304.png

The cell is growing:D May just miss dublin but we will have to wait and see.

Unless it expands it will come on shore south of Dublin I reckon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Raining very heavily here now- Clara C Offaly.

Left Athlone at 5.00 dry,hazy- now rivers of water flowing down the roads... no thunder though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

looks good, if it keeps growing. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

darkman2 wrote:
    The cell is growing:D May just miss dublin but we will have to wait and see.

Unless it expands it will come on shore south of Dublin I reckon.

I'm trying to see where it's going to track, possibly just north of me and south of Dublin.

I've only just logged on after being away for the afternoon.

Still growing and with no activity as yet.Exported storms from wales a high possibilty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Oh, seems to be heading north and will certainly miss me and probably Dublin as well.

Is it likely to come onshore?

Mothman wrote:
    Oh, seems to be heading north and will certainly miss me and probably Dublin as well.

Is it likely to come onshore?

Dunno yet, it could just die out. Dont see a threatening skyline here atm.

Latest radar it appears to be heading north....

The temp is actually at its max here now 20.2c in some late evening sunshine...

And heres whats in the sky over head directly.

I've used software to contrast the image so you can see it better.
    Took this about 10 mins ago.

test%201%20037.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

supercell heh :D

LoL

It may be tame compared to England at the moment but I still wouldnt like to fly a helicopter through it-t'wud be bumpy :eek:

Nice to see visible signs of instability overhead here though.

Earthman wrote:
    LoL

It may be tame compared to England at the moment but I still wouldnt like to fly a helicopter through it-t'wud be bumpy :eek:

Nice to see visible signs of instability overhead here though.

There are still little planes flying overhead in west Dublin, having taken off from Weston.......the sky is devilishly grey, should someone not tell those pilots to land NOW!

Okay here it is,exploded in last 10 mins,moving direct to Dublin,can see out window Anvil flattening which means intensifying.
    Gettin stronger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Ryanoneill2006

Greetings Boys... Are we in for an eventful evening?? Could do with a good storm to clear the air!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement