Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorms Thread Only

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Snowbie wrote:
    Okay here it is,exploded in last 10 mins,moving direct to Dublin,can see out window Anvil flattening which means intensifying.
    Gettin stronger.

The sky here looks unstable atm. Charred up......

On radar its definatley heading north and looking like it will stay out in the sea.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Storm is dead,nothing in last 10 mins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Thunder_struck

I use much more scientific methods than you lot: the dogs in west Dublin are barking hysterically....trust me, that means the storm is heading this way. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

After I signed off last night, the most awesome fork lightning display I have seen for a long time came up the Nore Valley. ESB was knocked out for a moment. A re-run of Sunday Night - but I was sober! :D

Started shortly after 3am and lasted over an hour. With a strike rate of about 60/ph.

Hope we get more of the same again, but not as late!

I can see anvils over the Irish sea but I think thats where they will stay. Last chance tomorrow for decent sorms. The East and North most at risk with winds being offshore. We we will be looking for inland convection this time unlike the last few days (in the East anyway):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

Hey Danno, just out of curiousity, what part of Laois are you in? I'm in Portlaoise, on the Abbeyleix side of the town, and if you read my post a page or two back about the activity we had here early this morning it sounds as if we may have got the tail-end of what you had this morning. Some fairly intense flashes that flickered across the sky but no fork lightning that I could see, it seemed to be mostly sheet lightning here. As I said in my other post, from my rough calculations it only got maybe as close as 2 1/2 - 3 miles here but it was impressive enough all the same. So maybe it was part of the same storm we had here only the edge of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭pp_me129

SANY0055.JPG

The sky in waterford city

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Around Durrow Aidan.

I could see flashes over Portlaoise last night aswell. From my house I can see the glares of Kilkenny City and Portlaoise town on my horizon. It was mostly sheet up your way, I seen about two forks near you, but the main area of forks were in the Nore Valley, Ballyragget, Freshford areas as well as overhead here.

New echo off the rosslare coast.

I use much more scientific methods than you lot: the dogs in west Dublin are barking hysterically....trust me, that means the storm is heading this way. ;)

Too many cats.

• Advertisement

pic of rosslare echo?

pp_me129 wrote:
    pic of rosslare echo?

http://www.met.ie/latest/rainfall_radar.asp

One heading towards Waterford too.

Right off to see Germany beat Italy,back at half time

ah dream on which 1 is it is it the big one over wales and cornwall?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,263 ✭✭✭highdef

Could see the tops of the thunderstorms in the Irish see to my South on my walk back from the shops in D8 around an hour ago. Just 3 minutes ago, there, was a short but heavy fall of rain. Stopped now. Can only view to the west across to the northeast from the office window so cant see if there is anything to the south of me. I presume there is something there. Anyone getting some action (of the weather variety) in Dublin?

OK, downpour here now but still quite bright. Shower must be developing right over my head

OK, intense downpour of monsoon intensity has eased to heavy rain. Still bright and blue sky still about a mile away to the northeast. Still very bright. Looking at the latest Met Eireann radar, CB's are exploding over the Dublin area right now so this was one of them. I am in D8. Rang home to D13 and its dry. In fact, I reckon I could drive a mile down the road and it'll be dry. Very very weird. Road outside is like a river. No thunder though, which surprised me

Can confirm that there was thunder in the past 5 minutes in the Santry area - D9, I think

Thunder!!!

We have thunder here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Heyes

thunder in south dublin at mo mon ami :)

Big anvil to the south. We had one rumble about two minutes ago. Didnt see any lightning...

Can confirm hidef,planes are diverting around the south of the storm,or thundery shower.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Woot...thunder clap in Dublin 2 and i can still see blue sky :D

See the CB clearly,must be building over Mtns.

Massive CB building to the south of the liffey

Starting to rain here now. Only one rumble, seemed kinda distant so far.......

Snowbie wrote:
    Massive CB building to the south of the liffey

Im guessin thats what im looking at. You dont get a much more thundery sky then that.....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

yep...just off to the east of me. mean...

• Advertisement

darkman2 wrote:
    Im guessin thats what im looking at. You dont get a much more thundery sky then that.....

big isn it

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement