Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorms Thread Only

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Snowbie wrote:
    big isn it

Yup.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

camera is broke,nuts what a pic that would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭jd

highdef wrote:
    Can confirm that there was thunder in the past 5 minutes in the Santry area - D9, I think
    Yip-heard it in Northwood..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭pp_me129

any lightning detechdors pics??/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭jd

Snowbie wrote:
    big isn it
    This one? Due south of Santry..
    img_0136.jpg

• Advertisement

jd wrote:
    This one? Due south of Santry..
    img_0136.jpg

Thats the one.:) Dont know whether there is thunder in it or not. There is little or nothing showing on radar

• Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Jeez ye get thunder up there and here for the first time in the past couple of days that ol' grey cloud cover has broke and tis really clearing up here, blue sky for a change :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭pp_me129

Jeez ye get thunder up there and here for the first time in the past couple of days that ol' grey cloud cover has broke and tis really clearing up here, blue sky for a change :D

Been a lovly blue sky all day down here and the sun was splitting the rocks :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,263 ✭✭✭highdef

Hey JD, thats where my friend in Santry rang from - Northwood. I recognised the pic. Another cell moving into D13 now (home now) - looks like just gonna be heavy rain

• Registered Users Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Absolutely lashing down here in Killester. Just heard some thunder, no lightning though.

• Advertisement

Nice pic jd,nearly on top of me now,has produced rain now.

Thats still building,might produce

Snowbie wrote:
    Thats still building,might produce

Thats just coming over me now, no thunder from it yet. The showers are moving northeast out of Wicklow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Heyes

loads of raining in s dub, but nothing else :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Lots of grey in Galway and little else. :(
    The east is hogging all the weather again first the snow now the thunder. :mad:
    We'll start hogging all the rain if ye keep this up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Seems to be something going on in the east alright but cant see anything yet. Theres dark clouds overhead and few patches of drizzle, just your typical irish summers evening atm. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Are people gone for an early night or what ;). Ahh the match lol...

Looks like some very heavy thunderstorms in the East and North tomorrow afternoon. Dublin, I wonder will Wicklow give a rain shadow, it happens sometimes but I think tomorrow is the best chance for storms. Top temp 26C tomorrow:D

Depending on wind direction DM,sometimes TS spawn quickly from mountainous areas as the air is forced to rise quicker.

Snowbie wrote:
    Depending on wind direction DM,sometimes TS spawn quickly from mountainous areas as the air is forced to rise quicker.

Yes I agree. Potential for violent thunderstorms especially in the north. Flash flooding possible IMO. Should kick off early tomorrow afternoon as the inland convection kicks off:D

Wind and jet tomorrow will be west - southwest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

New crop building over S Tipp, NW Waterford, looks like heading along NE...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

Anyone know of anything happening in the west at the moment? From the screenshot I attached below the Meterologica site is showing something but neither the Isle of Wight lightning detector or the Blitzortung sites are showing anything. :confused:

Looks like there's a couple of pretty nasty storms moving northwards through France at the moment. One looks like it's starting to make the journey across the English Channel at the moment as well. Looks like parts of southeast England could be in for bit of rough night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Anyone know of anything happening in the west at the moment? From the screenshot I attached below the Meterologica site is showing something but neither the Isle of Wight lightning detector or the Blitzortung sites are showing anything. :confused:

Nothing happing in Galway anyway and I've a good view over the bay towards clare and all seems calm there too.

All is quiet from my detector.
    Thats interference from that detector,it is showing strikes way to far like 250miles too far.Them strikes are nearly or where nearly on top of meterologicas detector.over Nwales.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Theres gona be some bang crash and walloping this afternoon
    in the east from 1500hrs..

Should be some decent thunderstorms;)

Last chance saloon today.

I definitely think its going to get hot inland,probably a 26 or 27c somewhere with a widespread 24 or 25c.
    Thats enough to get some convection going-pressure is low enough.

Cape and LI is ok ish but not great according to GFS so I dont know how thundery those will be,they are after all convection showers and not high based activity but I think there will be some thunderstorms,there should be.It's just not likely to be widespread.

Theres a fair chance that the activity moving into Britain may fringe the East coast later but its less than 40% I think.
    The upper cloud shield from this is already fringing the East coast.
    It's going to be this evening or tonight before that happens if at all so keep an eye on it.

Earthman wrote:
    Last chance saloon today.

I definitely think its going to get hot inland,probably a 26 or 27c somewhere with a widespread 24 or 25c.
    Thats enough to get some convection going-pressure is low enough.

Cape and LI is ok ish but not great according to GFS so I dont know how thundery those will be,they are after all convection showers and not high based activity but I think there will be some thunderstorms,there should be.It's just not likely to be widespread.

Theres a fair chance that the activity moving into Britain may fringe the East coast later but its less than 40% I think.
    The upper cloud shield from this is already fringing the East coast.
    It's going to be this evening or tonight before that happens if at all so keep an eye on it.

6z GFS peps up the precip for the East and the CAPE just slightly better. Its 50/50 though I think and hit and miss as usual but we could well see thunder later this afternoon:)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

By bejasus!!

I step outside and its like a bloody cooker!:eek:

My garden at 11am is reading 23c:eek:

Here we go! It feels even hotter than that becuase it is so muggy
    and close:eek:

It the hottest so far,cumulus already building.Precip over wickla mtns according to ukmo.

• Advertisement

some large cb's fast developing over the south of the wicklow mountains and are visible from here.
    I'll post photo's in a few minutes.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement