Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorms Thread Only

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

According to the latest GFS the thunderstorms may arrive earlier for many, as early as tomorrow evening. However its hinting at a rain shadow in the East caused by the Wicklow mts but its only one run and these things change every 6 hrs. Its also saying that the storms will be gone by midnight so a quicker evolution but IMHO I think thats to quick and precip wise it will be an outlier:rolleyes:

Here is the latest Sattelite images. Interesting to see the development over Biscay and particularly Northern Spain.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/sat.mpg

NOTE: This file may have to be downloaded...... 1.67 MB.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Ok the show is already starting but nothing much happening.Strikes will be moving in general North motion.

Thats developed into some feature that from Biscay. Severe thunderstorms I reckon for Southern Ireland later.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rsfloc.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Cheers for the picture Snowbie. Did you get your broadband back yet? Hope so, I will be glued to the PC over the next 36hrs looking for your screenshots. Your last shots were amazingly accurate. I like the way we have county boundaries for an easy guide!!!

• Advertisement

Danno wrote:
    Cheers for the picture Snowbie. Did you get your broadband back yet? Hope so, I will be glued to the PC over the next 36hrs looking for your screenshots. Your last shots were amazingly accurate. I like the way we have county boundaries for an easy guide!!!

Yes Danno i only got it back on (broadband) tonight,thank God for it.Dinosaur dial up was truly iritating.Took ages to upload pics,but when i done that one it was done in seconds.look for more screenshots to be uploaded from now on here as they happen.:D :D:D

Not much happpening still but there are strikes out sw of us.

Snowbie wrote:
    Not much happpening still but there are strikes out sw of us.

Snowbie I wouldnt stay up waiting for something to happen because these features tend to die away overnight and regenerate during the day. Im not expecting anything during the night time hours, the cloud on Sattelite is not that deep. It will be the morning I reckon before we see things develope properly.:)

Also just thought id draw everyone's attention to the Estofex forcast:

'A frontal boundary moves eastward reaching from western Spain to Bay of Biscay and further to western Great Britain on Wednesday, 18 UTC. To the east of this boundary ... warm airmass characterized by steep lapse rates and rather weak moisture will be present ... and models suggest increasing CAPE values due to height falls. Thunderstorms are expected to form along and east of this frontal boundary during the day due to weak QG forcing and daytime heating. Given weak vertical wind shear ... as well as high LCLs and rather weak CAPE ... organized thunderstorms are not expected to be likely.'

So essentially what they are saying is, yes definatley some storms but they wont be too organised for the reasons they have outlined. Not counting chickens yet:)

There is a guy on NW reporting lightning strikes in the South West....anyone confirm????

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

• Advertisement

Have you a link to the NW page DM2?

Ooooh that looks Sweeeet! :D:D:D

I can't wait till tomorrow evening.

darkman2 wrote:
    There is a guy on NW reporting lightning strikes in the South West....anyone confirm????

Yes can confirm DM,starting to take off now to the wsw.

The 2300UTC (Midnight IST) report from Valentia should be good so...

Nothing showing up on doppler radar though.
    Strikes every 15 seconds now.

Thunderstorm detected well off the sw coast now.

now TS detected off the sw coast,anyone confirm down in Kerry.

A moderate to strong TS out in the Atlantic well off the coast and is stationary atm.

I see Valentia had gone from 19c and fair at 11pm to 22c and cloudy at midnight. 51%RH though...

In fact, all the western areas are still in the 20s! And thats midnight!

• Advertisement

Biscay has come alive now. 3 organised but weak cells.

http://en.allmetsat.com/images/afwa_msg_europe_ani.php <<< If you look close enough, you can see the two embedded cells beneath the thin high cloud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

Here in Kerry, in the Southern Iveragh Peninsula, (Near Kenmare) I can confirm there has been nothing to report just yet. However I reckon that lightning may make landfall before sunrise, it is eerily quite and feels like something is about to erupt. I will update tomorrow with details etc.

Danno wrote:
    http://en.allmetsat.com/images/afwa_msg_europe_ani.php <<< If you look close enough, you can see the two embedded cells beneath the thin high cloud.

YUP:cool:

netwhizkid wrote:
    Here in Kerry, in the Southern Iveragh Peninsula, (Near Kenmare) I can confirm there has been nothing to report just yet. However I reckon that lightning may make landfall before sunrise, it is eerily quite and feels like something is about to erupt. I will update tomorrow with details etc.

Well off the coast roughly 240km from you.Probably too distant to see though.

Some more strikes to the south and cells to the west still going.

Hmmm. looks good for tomorrow so.

Well I am signing off.

Take care. :D

wonder will we be seeing anything on this part of the world. or will it just fizzle out before it moves that far inland.

Snowbie wrote:
    Some more strikes to the south and cells to the west still going.

Looks promising. Thanks for those screenshots again, really useful. Im hittin the sack, I donnt expect anything significant to develope over night, rather during the day tomorrow. Fingers crossed anyway. Night.:cool:

• Advertisement

The only thing that i can say is :eek:
    http://www.meteorologica.info/freedata_lightning.htm

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement