Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorms Thread Only

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭pp_me129

guess whos back back back again....
    anyway wats the latest any pic come on anything likely over wat?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

GFS goes for more intense development in the Irish sea right up beyond 6:00 in the morning:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

The promise of something in the southwest disappeared. all we got today is a little drizzle.

More flashes here now btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Currently there are rumbles of thunder here

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Okay now we have a lot of frequent C2C strikes to the south of me....probably out to sea someplace off annagasan. Looks like it's headed this way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭pp_me129

darkman2 wrote:
    GFS goes for more intense development in the Irish sea right up beyond 6:00 in the morning:D

???
    link??
    ???

darkman2 wrote:
    More flashes here now btw.
    I've been in and watching tv for the last 2.5 hours

It's 20c still :eek:

I know I heard thunder at around 830 but it was very distant.

High based storms have to be practically overhead before they get in anyway loud.

*goes out to have a look* (and a listen)

Yeah it's pretty hard to tell here (street lighting) but I can't make out any low cloud like you normally would with an approaching storm.

I tried the trick of counting between flash and rumble, but no rumbles for the brightest flashes....must be pretty high up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

pp_me129 wrote:
    ???
    link??
    ???

Don't have a clue what it means but..Link..then click on live lightning activity and look at all the marks over Ireland. Feck all around Dublin.:( :(

Well I saw one distant flash of lightning out over the Irish sea.
    It was a long way away.

It's black dark obviously but the heat out there for this time of nigh,I've never experienced it before that I can remember,it's eeery.

It's completely cloudy.

In theory, there should be enough instability and energy in the athmosphere tonight to spark a few cracking storms...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Have a few cells goin on atm,the one east of dublin is the liveliest.

Just got two close and really cracking strikes there one after another:D

Lot of strikes out to sea.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

Don't have a clue what it means but..Link..then click on live lightning activity and look at all the marks over Ireland. Feck all around Dublin.:( :(

Is it just me or is the lightning detector data for that site completely off. It's saying that the midlands and mid-west in this country should currently be experiencing something not far off what they're getting in Lebanon at the moment! ;):D Yet, it doesn't seem to be the case at all in reality.

From what I can see, that site above, the Isle of Wight lightning detector site and the meteorologica site seem to be completely off when it comes to picking up lightning in this country. The meteorologica site currently shows the southwest coast getting a pounding and the Isle of Wight shows no activity anywhere in this country or in the Irish Sea. From what I can make out, I think the site above and the meteorologica sites are actually picking up the activity in the Irish Sea but reporting them as being way too far west than they actually are. Seems the distance calibration is way off on both sites. As for the Isle of Wight one, well, I don't know what the hell is up with that thing! :D

Does anyone know of any websites that has accurate recording of lightning in this country? The best I've come across so far is the blitzortung site but even that can be off by quite a bit at times.

Maybe we need to pitch in together to raise enough funds for Snowbie so he can have his detector live and online 24/7, eh? ;):D Because his reports and screenshots seem to be the only proper and accurate detector covering this country at the moment!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

I thought Snowbie would have had his broadband connection back by now?

Very true Aidan,storm is just off the dublin coast moving north

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

I thought the issue was that he needed other data for accurate triangulation?

Well it's kicked off over dundalk big style...lot of accompanying rain, plenty of sheet lightning and intense c2c strikes....and ground shaking thunder. Directly overhead but pretty high based judging by the heaviness of the raindrops. Still a lot of flashes out to sea and SE of me but what I have here is moving north. A fair bit to come I'd say....dundalk always seems to do well for nighttime summer storms.

• Advertisement

ch750536 wrote:
    I thought the issue was that he needed other data for accurate triangulation?

My detector picks up 98% of strikes and 98% accurate,if and when some more people go live with me on my network it will then receive both high and low strikes pinpointed to the spot.

From what ive observed it looks like they are actually dying out, or else theyve remained too far out at sea.

nothing else going on around the country.

Right over Dundalk and surrounding louth atm

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Well I haven't seen or heard a thing here, must be like the snow that avoids me in winter. Been a bit of drizzle, seriously heavy air outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Snowbie wrote:
    Have a few cells goin on atm,the one east of dublin is the liveliest.

Damn,should be down in the sisters place in Wicklow.100m from the sea looking towards Wales with 0% light pollution. You'd probably see some of whats going on over the Irish sea.
    Sorry about that link,it did seem as if the midlands were under attack alright.
    Weather fascinates me but just not clued in on the science end of things.

I'll just sit in the corner.:D

On the safe side of precaution Wertz,if its overhead,knock off the pc

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Just back online after a significant electrical storm. Several strikes a minute and there were strikes in all directions. I'm not sure if they came from the SE, S or SW. What direction are these strikes going?

Btw it was absolutely brilliant :D. It was not raining so I was able to go outside once it had passed over. Can I expect any more of this??:p

Don't you Dubs be greedy, you had your fair share a couple of weeks ago!:p

And Snowbie, I had the PC off but there wasn't much need. It was all intra-cloud stuff from what I saw (overhead).

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

What did we have a couple of weeks ago? How did I miss that! :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

Wertz wrote:
    Well it's kicked off over dundalk big style...lot of accompanying rain, plenty of sheet lightning and intense c2c strikes....and ground shaking thunder. Directly overhead but pretty high based judging by the heaviness of the raindrops. Still a lot of flashes out to sea and SE of me but what I have here is moving north. A fair bit to come I'd say....dundalk always seems to do well for nighttime summer storms.

Jaysus man, are you nuts! :eek: You say it's banging away right over your head or pretty close to you and you're online? Get off your computer and unplug, unplug, unplug EVERYTHING (don't forget the phone line) and go take cover under the duvet for God's sake! :D

I plug out everything in the house if I so much as see lightning or hear thunder no matter how far away it is. I tend to take the cautious approach that if it's close enough to see (even on the horizon) or hear it's already too close for comfort. It's probably overkill, I know, but I don't take any chances when it comes to my electrical and computer stuff! ;):D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement