Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorms Thread Only

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

This was around the 2nd and 3rd of July. Wicklow and Dublin itself got a fierce doing, but died out a bit beyond Dublin, if I remember right.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Just back online after a significant electrical storm. Several strikes a minute and there were strikes in all directions. I'm not sure if they came from the SE, S or SW. What direction are these strikes going?

Btw it was absolutely brilliant :D. It was not raining so I was able to go outside once it had passed over. Can I expect any more of this??:p

Don't you Dubs be greedy, you had your fair share a couple of weeks ago!:p

And Snowbie, I had the PC off but there wasn't much need. It was all intra-cloud stuff from what I saw (overhead).

Looks like good thunderstorm potential for the east tomorrow atm:)

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

During the day darkman?...bit of a waste, prefer at night but will take it anyway :)

Happy days. But are these frontal storms, land-based convection ones or sea-based convection ones?

In other words: Where will my damn storms come from??:p

Do you have another sferics pic Snowbie, before I hit the leaba?

Felixdhc wrote:
    During the day darkman?...bit of a waste, prefer at night but will take it anyway :)

Were in with a shout.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Happy days. But are these frontal storms, land-based convection ones or sea-based convection ones?

In other words: Where will my damn storms come from??:p

Do you have another sferics pic Snowbie, before I hit the leaba?
    Yup ,just a min

Looks like louth got a battering all right.Lucky sods.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

Just out of curiousity, Snowbie, have you ever looked into providing live, 24/7 online coverage of your lightning detector like the Isle of Wight lightning detector website and others? I personally think it would be a great service, not just to us Boardsies, but to the entire country as your's seems to be the best and most accurate lightning detector coverage we have in this country at the moment. What would it entail to set up such a service and would it be expensive and complicated to do, do you think? I suppose at minimum it would probably require a dedicated PC or server to record the data coming off your detector, a good broadband connection (maybe even a dedicated one) with no caps or anything like that and then some way to have the whole process automated to have the data posted up to a webpage or some such, would I be right? Or am I being naive and it would involve much more than that?

As I said earlier, maybe we should setup a donation fund towards a "Snowbie 24/7 Lightning Detector Website Fund" or something like that! ;):D

darkman2 wrote:
    Looks like good thunderstorm potential for the east tomorrow atm:)

I dont think so DM,moving into a drier air mass for tomorrow.IMO that is,science caught us off guard tonight just when i thought it was over.

Just out of curiousity, Snowbie, have you ever looked into providing live, 24/7 online coverage of your lightning detector like the Isle of Wight lightning detector website and others? I personally think it would be a great service, not just to us Boardsies, but to the entire country as your's seems to be the best and most accurate lightning detector coverage we have in this country at the moment. What would it entail to set up such a service and would it be expensive and complicated to do, do you think? I suppose at minimum it would probably require a dedicated PC or server to record the data coming off your detector, a good broadband connection (maybe even a dedicated one) with no caps or anything like that and then some way to have the whole process automated to have the data posted up to a webpage or some such, would I be right? Or am I being naive and it would involve much more than that?

As I said earlier, maybe we should setup a donation fund towards a "Snowbie 24/7 Lightning Detector Website Fund" or something like that! ;):D

Thanks for the vote of confidence there Aidan.
    I dunno actually tbh,defo have to upload to a server to host on a website which unfortuanately does cost.What i dunno,anyone shed any light on this.Got my broadband back now after short delay and already uploading data to my UK site atm Strikestar.

• Advertisement

Snowbie wrote:
    I dont think so DM,moving into a drier air mass for tomorrow.IMO that is,science caught us off guard tonight just when i thought it was over.

The CAPE is lower for tomorrow then today. Better convection, chance of storms. We'll see.

BTW I wouldnt rule out further storms developing in the Irish sea in the next while.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Have you a link to strikestar?

darkman2 wrote:
    The CAPE is lower for tomorrow then today. Better convection, chance of storms. We'll see.

BTW I wouldnt rule out further storms developing in the Irish sea in the next while.:)

Dm and lads/lassies,check out the rada on th ukmo.The squall line i was talking about during the week.Perfect. The radar at 00.30.

http://www.met-office.gov.uk/weather/europe/uk/radar/

Danno wrote:
    Have you a link to strikestar?

Subscription only Danno,would not be allowed to show live events only history of the last hour.

Snowbie wrote:
    Looks like louth got a battering all right.Lucky sods.:)
    Thanks Snowbie, the attachment is appreciated. Goodnight all, and hopefully those strikes out at sea will drift inland, so we can all enjoy:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

Snowbie wrote:
    Thanks for the vote of confidence there Aidan.
    I dunno actually tbh,defo have to upload to a server to host on a website which unfortuanately does cost.What i dunno,anyone shed any light on this.Got my broadband back now after short delay and already uploading data to my UK site atm Strikestar.

Hmmm, maybe you should make an approach to Met Eireann or something with such a proposal. They pay for your server and hosting/bandwidth costs and they can provide a live lightning data service on their website based on the data coming off your detector. ;)

Yeah, I know, I know, we can all wish I suppose but I'm surprised Met Eireann themselves don't have something similar already on their website. Seeing as they have an animated rainfall radar and all that, why not have a live or semi-live lightning detector on the site as well? Particularly during the summer and especially during warm and potentially thundery spells like at the moment. As I said, hey, if they don't want to setup a detector themselves why not instead pay for the use of someone else's data like yours, Snowbie, seeing as how accurate it already is?

Thanks Snowbie, the attachment is appreciated. Goodnight all, and hopefully those strikes out at sea will drift inland, so we can all enjoy:)

NP:)

Hmmm, maybe you should make an approach to Met Eireann or something with such a proposal. They pay for your server and hosting/bandwidth costs and they can provide a live lightning data service on their website based on the data coming off your detector. ;)

Yeah, I know, I know, we can all wish I suppose but I'm surprised Met Eireann themselves don't have something similar already on their website. Seeing as they have an animated rainfall radar and all that, why not have a live or semi-live lightning detector on the site as well? Particularly during the summer and especially during warm and potentially thundery spells like at the moment. As I said, hey, if they don't want to setup a detector themselves why not instead pay for the use of someone else's data like yours, Snowbie, seeing as how accurate it already is?

Now thats a thought,Thanks Aidan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

We got nothing in west just some light rain for a while :(
    Oh well maybe next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

It was OK here alright, just spent the last 2 hrs in a dark room with a crate of beer watching the show - it seems to have picked up considerably over the cooley penninsula area, it seems more or less non stop from my vantage point in Dundalk, looking out over Dundalk bay to the Cooley mountains.
    I do love a good lighning show :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭swalsh

Yeah but is really humid and hot over here, very little breeze too

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭swalsh

Galway, not Disneyland

Weve got lightning here again.......

Its flashing every couple of seconds:D (look east)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Dr. Dre wrote:
    It was OK here alright, just spent the last 2 hrs in a dark room with a crate of beer watching the show - it seems to have picked up considerably over the cooley penninsula area, it seems more or less non stop from my vantage point in Dundalk, looking out over Dundalk bay to the Cooley mountains.

Lucky sod ;), but hey try get some pics.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Dr. Dre wrote:

Some show alright, seen a brilliant orange bolt strike down in the area up by the wind turbine :D

darkman2 wrote:
    Its flashing every couple of seconds:D (look east)

Seen them DM

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

hellboy99 wrote:
    Some show alright, seen a brilliant orange bolt strike down in the area up by the wind turbine :D
    Ah yeah, that turbine would be an attraction for the lightning alright!
    Decent enough show, however I spent 3 months over in Colorado in the states back in '97 and oh man, do they get some thunder storms over there!
    I used to sit in my appartment in awe looking at the storms, just unbelieveable.
    It sort of spoiled the Irish thunder storms for me though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Dr. Dre wrote:
    Ah yeah, that turbine would be an attraction for the lightning alright!
    Decent enough show, however I spent 3 months over in Colorado in the states back in '97 and oh man, do they get some thunder storms over there!
    I used to sit in my appartment in awe looking at the storms, just unbelieveable.
    It sort of spoiled the Irish thunder storms for me though :(

We were due a show, say this one tonight is just the start too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

that meteorologica map looks to be wankered, it has all the lightning in the wrong place.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement