Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorms Thread Only

Options

Comments

Dr. Dre wrote:
    It was OK here alright, just spent the last 2 hrs in a dark room with a crate of beer watching the show - it seems to have picked up considerably over the cooley penninsula area, it seems more or less non stop from my vantage point in Dundalk, looking out over Dundalk bay to the Cooley mountains.
    I do love a good lighning show :o

Yeah it got really active when it headed into NI.

18,000 homes lost power and the NI electricity service had to deal with a 1000 strikes on their lines :eek:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/northern_ireland/5197248.stm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Jaysus man, are you nuts! :eek: You say it's banging away right over your head or pretty close to you and you're online? Get off your computer and unplug, unplug, unplug EVERYTHING (don't forget the phone line) and go take cover under the duvet for God's sake! :D

I plug out everything in the house if I so much as see lightning or hear thunder no matter how far away it is. I tend to take the cautious approach that if it's close enough to see (even on the horizon) or hear it's already too close for comfort. It's probably overkill, I know, but I don't take any chances when it comes to my electrical and computer stuff! ;):D

Meh, there was no C2G strikes and I was on the laptop....the only thing that was taking a hit was the surge protector and the wireless router. Unless lightning can somehow use wireless networks :D (some smartarse is gonna tell me it can now)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

Hey Snowbie, mate, you around by any chance? If you are, are you showing up anything for the midlands and in particular the Laois area at the moment? Got a really menacing looking sky overhead here in Portlaoise right now and we've just had a pretty sharp, short shower. Neither the blitzortung, Isle of Wight or meteorologica websites are showing anything around here right now, all's clear according to them, but by God does it look thundery outside here right now! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Hey Snowbie, mate, you around by any chance? If you are, are you showing up anything for the midlands and in particular the Laois area at the moment? Got a really menacing looking sky overhead here in Portlaoise right now and we've just had a pretty sharp, short shower. Neither the blitzortung, Isle of Wight or meteorologica websites are showing anything around here right now, all's clear according to them, but by God does it look thundery outside here right now! :eek:

Hey Aidan,nothing anywhere atm.:(

That shower Aidan was talking about might intensfy further as it approaches the eastern counties.Nice and clear here atm over Dublin so if you look west in a half hour we might be able to catch a couple of CBs building.
    22c here and 72% humidity so i say lifted index is negative in the Dublin area,which can trigger a TS.

• Advertisement

Can see towering Cumulus and CBs with anvils in front of a lowering sun,quite a spectacular view moving NE towards Drogheda and Louth area.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Dunno how accurate this site is but its reporting cloud height at 25,000 ft. I presume they are columbus clouds too, if so could it pose some TS activity?
    ;)

Oh that red dot has my name written all over it, if it manages to keep going after the sun drops

[edit] Just looked out the window and it's sitting to my SW...must be close to that height judging that I can see it and it's still a far few miles away yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Thunder_struck

darkman2 wrote:
    Looks like good thunderstorm potential for the east tomorrow atm:)

Don't mean to be unkind to the rest of you but Snowbie seems to be the only one on this board who gives accurate TS forecasts :rolleyes: With everyone else it seems to be TS wishful thinking, whereas Snowbie appears to go by the facts. Unlike most (all?) of you I HATE TS's (:eek:) and have now learnt to ignore every forecast on this board....except Snowbie's, they've been spectacularly accurate so far. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Don't mean to be unkind to the rest of you but Snowbie seems to be the only one on this board who gives accurate TS forecasts :rolleyes: With everyone else it seems to be TS wishful thinking, whereas Snowbie appears to go by the facts. Unlike most (all?) of you I HATE TS's (:eek:) and have now learnt to ignore every forecast on this board....except Snowbie's, they've been spectacularly accurate so far. :)

Bit like one of those 'I'm not racist, but...' statements eh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

I focking Love T-Storms, and of course like all things that one loves they only happen very rarely,

Where Im from we used to see the T-showers coming straight for us then, theyd magically avoid us everytime, used to pizz me of big time,

they dont make them like they used to.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

I can take upfront criticism. I forcast that hot spell 2 weeks ago and the one before that 1.5 weeks prior. You will find that we can only on whats put in front of us. Thats what the charts say. Its not as easy as it looks to forcast anything weather wise beyond a matter of hours.

Absolutely mad sky out there today.
    Lots of cb's and weaved cloud patterns at the moment.

I'm convinced I saw a funnel cloud too very high to the west near croghan mountain.No camera with me at the time unfortunately but it curved and tailed upwards and disolved minutes after I saw it.

A thunderstorm/heavy shower wouldnt surprise me this evening given all that turbulence up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Nothing like that here in Rathgar unfortunatly.
    Clouds have a distinctly linear look to them (cumulus and stratus crapus), explosive cyclogenisis it ain't, any precip here looks likely to be light if at all.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Have to agree with the mad sky....was coming home from Dublin and the moist air coming in off the sea was bubbling up like crazy over the land. Saw a good few mid level cumulus bubble up and then "loose" their tops, which would float off in a different direction. A sky full of cotton wool balls.

Saw the cumulus tower up into anvil only to dissipate straight away and then do it again,doing it over and over again till dusk untill convection was lost.Great shot with camera if it was`nt broke.:(

Things will get interesting in England tonight and tomorrow:(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Snowbie wrote:
    Things will get interesting in England tonight and tomorrow:(

Things look interesting over there now, the south coast started showing activity around 3am this morning, and now it has a hell of a lot more TS's, they must have had them all night :mad:

http://www.blitzortung.org/index.php?mode=0&map=5&lang=e

Any risk at all today of us getting a rumble or two??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

http://85.214.49.20/wz/pics/sfanim.gif Just noticed this out the the west a few hundred miles out. does it look like its headed inland?

it died off hal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Good cape for wedensday for Ireland.One to watch.

Thunderstorms will be breaking out tomorrow. Mostly midlands though. Very warm tomorrow too. Up to 26C again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,263 ✭✭✭highdef

Just got confirmation of a thunderstorm in the Lackagh area of Galway in the past hour - looking at the radar, I'd well believe and more on the way, I reckon

highdef wrote:
    Just got confirmation of a thunderstorm in the Lackagh area of Galway in the past hour - looking at the radar, I'd well believe and more on the way, I reckon

Yeah, not particularly organised though. Patchy in nature. Probrably something similar tomorrow though more widespread.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

2 messages from EM in Galway area.

15:10
    Even tough it's cloudy you can see a lot of crazy shaped CB towers and anvils, 24C

16:52
    Monsoon now at Lough Corrib!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Linky
    Wales is under attack.:D :D
    Would love to be the other side of the Irish Sea right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭swalsh

Looks like there are some mental TS across the waters!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

http://www.estofex.org/
    Says there is a risk of one or two tornadoes with gusts of 25m/s 90km/h, looks like it could be a lively day today, or maybe the forecast is wrong but theres still a chance of a few isolated thunderstorms everywhere:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement