Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorms Thread Only

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Thunderstorms are developing through the midlands. Sparadic but heavy and push ENE:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

BTW we are Cat 1 threat today. Very unusual:

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=storms;type=esto;sess=

DISCUSSION

Ireland, parts of western Britain

Within a cool airmass stratified, a strongly sheared flow exists. Some CAPE is expected to form in response to solar heating over Ireland and western Britain and may be enhanced by the lifted ahead of disturbances passing during the afternoon and evening. Linearly organized and more isolated storms are expected to form in the morning and pewrswist, some of which will likely develop rotating updrafts, given the strong shear. Low LCL and LFC heights and the 10 m/s 0-1 km shear suggest one or two tornadoes are possible. Additionally strong gusts may locally exceed the 25 m/s severe limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

atm no signs of TS in Ireland,but showers are rapidly developing throughout.
    Looks very turbelent out there in all directions.
    TEMP 23.5C
    HUM 43%
    DP 10C
    Giving me no indication of development within Dublin area atm.
    humidity and dp are to low for moisture content around here,so would have to be large shower from midlands to affect here or a TS lets say over laois kildare area to move ENE.
    The lifted index would be well above zero atm but cape should be good.

OK this is saying that development would be good here in Dublin region but i think looking SW towards midlands for TS to approach.Not optimistic.Heavy showers with a rumble but nothing too spectacular imo.

http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/FREE/stormwatch.asp

Ok storms breaking out now across the country

• Advertisement

Strikes located all over the country bar the east and south of yet.Sporadic

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Heads up anyone in County Lough, north of Dublin. The squall line has developed a 'kink', and this is already forming a large thunderstorm on its axis. This is a major risk area for a tornado in the next hour as it approaches the Irish Sea coast.
    The coastline between Drogheda and Dundalk is especially at risk IMO

This is a post taken from this thread on TheWeatherOutlook

http://theweatheroutlook.com/twocommunity/forums/2/58814/ShowThread.aspx#58814

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭gonker

just heard a crack of thunder a few minutes ago with that heavy shower in Drogheda. Nothing since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Kicking off big style in dundalk....squall shower and several claps of thunder

trogdor wrote:
    Heads up anyone in County Lough, north of Dublin. The squall line has developed a 'kink', and this is already forming a large thunderstorm on its axis. This is a major risk area for a tornado in the next hour as it approaches the Irish Sea coast.
    The coastline between Drogheda and Dundalk is especially at risk IMO

This is a post taken from this thread on TheWeatherOutlook

http://theweatheroutlook.com/twocommunity/forums/2/58814/ShowThread.aspx#58814

Noticed that on the radar image and has a impressive swirl in it.

• Advertisement

Suddenly just stopped raining, main source of thunder heade out over the bay...I'd guess there'll be waterspout or something off the carlingford lough/N. Down area after interaction with the mountains.

Now clear and sunny outside since I started typing this...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

clouds starting to build up again over Dundalk

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

It has just kicked off over Lifford/Strabane. Heavy rain, some lightning flashes and serious thunderclaps.

Oh man, did some one say mesocyclonic?

Just over in PC world to get some blank CDs...came out to this:

tstormqr7.th.jpg

Just rotating in the sky...squall line behind it, heavens opened for about 5 minutes...was in semi-shelter but it was too wet for the camera...a LOT of lightning very close...looks like another system to the south of me as well along the coast.

Most of Ireland has seen some lightning strikes apart from the Dublin area and south

TS around the Navan area

Ts headed towards Louth area now,Has your name all over it Wertz.

this is a big one...very active thunderwise....strikes every 20 seconds....oooh getting close now

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Kevok

Pity we aren't getting any in dublin. But then it's hard to complain about sunshine too. Still some nice scenery though with several nice anvils passing to the north and some amazing convection right now over dublin with cloud tops growing rapidly. Wales/Northern England might see something out of it but I don't think we will.

Kevok wrote:
    Pity we aren't getting any in dublin. But then it's hard to complain about sunshine too. Still some nice scenery though with several nice anvils passing to the north and some amazing convection right now over dublin with cloud tops growing rapidly. Wales/Northern England might see something out of it but I don't think we will.

Nice band of heavy showers coming towards Dublin area in next hour though.

• Advertisement

Just going my the metoffice radar (oh how I long for decent high res) it's by no means over for nay of the east coast for another few hours.

That last one here was a fast mover, not as much rain as earlier but a lot more electrical....didn't seem to be as much circulation in the cell as far as I could tell. Still a lot of rumbles going off out in the bay.

Geting some decent storms up there in Dundalk lately Wertz,still nothing overhead down here in Dublin as yet.But i have detected lightning over the Laois area moving towards Dublin for the next hour at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Have you a map with the lightning over Laois?

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Kevok

I posted too soon. Lovely dark anvil moving in from the west now, hope it brings some lightning with it. Wish I had a digital camera with me, the sky is really picturesque.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭drive3331

Just had a multiple claps of thunder in Kilcock

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

some of the strangest weather going on here. twenty mins ago it was flogging with rain, with two or so claps of distant thunder. now there isn't a cloud in the sky and the sun is shining

location Limerick City.

Danno wrote:
    Have you a map with the lightning over Laois?

Exploding out west now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Heyes

little rumbles of thunder in dublin south

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I've had the internet off for the last hour thanks to lightning. A storm passed over us at 6.45 and a second cell was passing to the east of us over the last hour. Some spectacular cloud to cloud lightning.

Squally conditions earlier but I wasn't paying attention as I was watching the GAA:o .

I'm 4 miles the north of Drogheda at 145m asl so I had a good view of proceedings. AM radio is picking up lots of sferics.

The front door has just rattled here from thunder.:eek: Some very menacing clouds just about over us and stemming back southeastwards.

Was this tornado risk for the area earlier on, serious?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33 thunderone

Hi all,

I'm in Laois, no thunder over my location but I can see that there are dark menacing clouds over the mountrath area, possible thunder?
    This would correspond with Snowbies image.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement