Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorms Thread Only

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Damomanye

thats one class picture

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bamboozled

Brilliant photo.
    I drove from Mallow to Silversprings last night watching it.
    I've never seen lighting like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Best lightning pic i seen in a long time,yous guys must of getting a hammering alright,good on yeah.Send it east now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

I can see out my window some good and quickly anviling clouds over the Irish sea. Later on things should beef up nicely:D

Large cumulus off the east coast alright now,air is rapidly destabilising now.
    Temp has gone up to 19.6c in the sunshine now,here is hoping.:)

• Advertisement

Earthman goes out for a gander...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Looks like there is a smaller lightning bolt to the right hitting someones window :D

Excellent photo i must say.. lightning is not easy to photo since you can never be sure where it will hit!!

It's almost totally cloudy here with milky sunshine to the west.

But looking towards the East theres a dark gre wall lining the entire horizon,I can see the cumulus peeping out over the top of that.
    It looks like a good distance out to sea.

On Satellite there is nice cloud development coming out of Biscay but as yet no strikes........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Takeshi_Kovacs

woah darkmaster!! that is sweet... and damn close too
    good timing as well to get the shot
    what kinda camera you use?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭darkmaster2

woah darkmaster!! that is sweet... and damn close too
    good timing as well to get the shot
    what kinda camera you use?

It was taken with a canon A70, set to 15Seconds shutter speed, tripod.
    Its a bit over exposed maybe, but came out well enough! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Just a quick note here. It is getting a little bit cloudyer around Navan now. What would be the chances of seeing a decent bit of lightning over the next few hours:D ? (I am sooooo happy).

Thats the advancing clouds ahead of the front coming in from the SW,hopefully something will break out over the warm land as it moves NE.

TBH I think the potential may have passed. You would expect something by now, though I suppose it cant be ruled out.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

yeah i think the threat is over.. its after turning much much cooler in the southwest as well... 14c in Cork and 15c in Valentia compared to 20 to 24c in the eastern half of the country.

Cloud to our south is getting thicker and thicker, maybe not ruling it out just yet:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭sunbeam

When I looked at our garden thermometer at 11.30pm last night it read 19c here in Achill. :eek: There were a few flashes of lightning, some rain, but no thunder. At the moment it's 20c, cloudy and has been extremely windy all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

very windy at the moment here in Bray, 21.3C
    The clouds are rolling in now but they look much thicker further north towards Dublin
    Looks like somethings appeared in wexford
    http://www.nowcast.co.uk/lightning/

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Strokesfan

Lightning storm for at least 2 hours last night seen from tralee and clearer out near Banna Beach coastline! It was eerie - like a sign

The thunderstorm risk is really over. Frontal rain tonight, light and patchy:)

• Advertisement

Cape and LI never really showed signs of TS activity over the Dublin area at all,i was hoping it would be wrong:(

Snowbie wrote:
    Cape and LI never really showed signs of TS activity over the Dublin area at all,i was hoping it would be wrong:(

I was saying that the other day. Although it wasnt good for Cork either and they got thunderstorms last night. Its a help when its in your favour. Oh well, chin up there will be plenty of other opportunities this summer:D

LOL, off topic but does anyone notice anything about the beeb summary:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/charts/uk/uk_summary_06061112.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

darkman2 wrote:
    LOL, off topic but does anyone notice anything about the beeb summary:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/charts/uk/uk_summary_06061112.jpg
    Don't think that snow will settle for long in the 29C temps :D

All is calm in north tipp overcast and breezy.
    I notice on the isle of wight detector there were two strikes in the past hour over Cork, doesn't look like anything will happen tonight.
    How is looking for the next few days?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Met office reporting a thunderstorm over cork (dont know where abouts their weather station is based). Your not out of the woods yet :D

Thats at Cork airport which iirc is out on the kinsale rd

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭sunset

Belatedly - congratulations Darkman on such a magnificent picture last night in Cork. So that was what was watching. Well done.

sunset wrote:
    Belatedly - congratulations Darkman on such a magnificent picture last night in Cork. So that was what was watching. Well done.

:confused:

There is a continuing risk of thunderstorms on the East Coast today according to Estofex, personally I doubt it but stranger things have happened.:rolleyes:

You never know,weather can change in an instant.

• Advertisement

Thunder look more likely tonight. An area of thundery rain is developing in Biscay and will move north. Some torrential falls of rain possible in the East.
    From the UKMO:

Tonight:
    Showers in eastern areas dying away. Thundery rain into southwest England, spreading north across Wales to affect Northern Ireland, much of Scotland and northwest England.

:D:D

Initially it was thought it would be simply frontal rain but it looks increasingly likely that some thunder and lightning will be thrown in.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement