Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorms Thread Only

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Thunder and lightning now in Clonee, couple of miles north west of Blanchardstown.

Pouring rain, very breezy also.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

That map you posted shows up lightning over me around 6-630pm, heard no thunder, probably due to the intensity of the rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Astro1996

heavy rain and a few rumbles here in Tallaght now

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Danno wrote:
    That map you posted shows up lightning over me around 6-630pm, heard no thunder, probably due to the intensity of the rain.

there is a lot of static/electricity in the air Danno,can be high based lightning too which detector detects all of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Was this tornado risk for the area earlier on, serious?

I would think so....that photo I posted; I haven't seen a cloud spinning/spiralling like that since I lived in texas....if any sort of funnel was going to form it was going to be on the boundary of that sort of system.

• Advertisement

Just heard my first rumble

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

PauloMN wrote:
    Thunder and lightning now in Clonee, couple of miles north west of Blanchardstown.

Pouring rain, very breezy also.

Make that torrential rain, storm practically overhead right now.

Bone dry here all day except for a sharp shower before lunch with one rumble of thunder.

I like the look of the current radar as it means theres heavy showers for here in the next few hours and its badly needed.

I see a red dot over south west Dublin which explains the thunder in Tallaght

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭ST*

Storm rattling away, getting a bit angry now -N Co Dub.

pic32.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Ongoing thunder here to the southeast and east of me. Seems to be mainly cloud-to-cloud stuff. Saw a flash reflection just there too.

What's the outlook for tonight? Are these cells moving northwards or northeastwards?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Heyes

It is absolutaly lashing down now in south dublin, waiting for the old rumbles to kick in.

Ongoing thunder here to the southeast and east of me. Seems to be mainly cloud-to-cloud stuff. Saw a flash reflection just there too.

What's the outlook for tonight? Are these cells moving northwards or northeastwards?
    North eastwards

Belting down here heard the rain coming before i saw it then the lightning followed by an explosion overhead.

moving north of me now

Sunny again, beautiful rainbow - pic taken about 8 minutes ago.

Theres a heavish looking shower approaching here from the sw with cb's and a dark grey anvil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Sunny evening with me, but I can see the anvils to my north over, or north of Dublin, and I can a shower, possibly the one EM has just mentioned well to the SSW

short and sharp -lasted about 3 minutes and delivered 0.5mm

That will make the grass grow :rolleyes:

Activity dying down now.

Some more low rumbles at the moment... The radar has another squall line about to hit. Light rain at the moment.

• Advertisement

All but gone now,look at the total strikes so far today up at the top and all red dots indicate last 3 hrs worth of strikes around the country,the brighter the dot the more recent the strike.
    The graph at the bottom shows the activity dying down.
    Recorded high of 21 strikes per min.

Rain has died out here and no other thunder to report of. Sky is clearing up to catch the last rays of sun.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Had a good few flashes and rumbles here a while ago. Some more cells are likely to develope in the west shortly as a new trough is coming onshore. These will probrably be thundery but more isolated and a rumble cant be ruled out anywhere really overnight. Most places will be dry though from now on.:)

Dm showers are dying out as a result of no solar convection and increase in pressure as a frontal system is approaching.
    no more Thunder for now.

We will have to agree to disagree;)

darkman2 wrote:
    Had a good few flashes and rumbles here a while ago. Some more cells are likely to develope in the west shortly as a new trough is coming onshore. These will probrably be thundery but more isolated and a rumble cant be ruled out anywhere really overnight. Most places will be dry though from now on.:)

Just windward coasts will experience showers tonight,in other words the western seaboard and nowhere else.Convection was main result in these TS today fueling overland as they were imported from the Atlantic.So 0% showers will reach east or even midlands for that matter.

The end of your statement is contradicting what your trying to say,"rumble cant be ruled out and most places will be dry" Whats this mean.TS with no precip or very localised:confused:
    No agree to disagree only exception to the rule.

Snowbie wrote:
    Just windward coasts will experience showers tonight,in other words the western seaboard and nowhere else.Convection was main result in these TS today fueling overland as they were imported from the Atlantic.So 0% showers will reach east or even midlands for that matter.

The end of your statement is contradicting what your trying to say,"rumble cant be ruled out and most places will be dry" Whats this mean.TS with no precip or very localised:confused:
    No agree to disagree only exception to the rule.

I dont think there is anything to mis-understand in what I said. Isolated thundery showers - most places dry. Cant rule out a shower anywhere.

Well going on the radar,if we were in Kerry West Cork or Galway city right now, we'd want a pretty strong umberella.

The whole of Kerry is under pink.

Earthman wrote:
    Well going on the radar,if we were in Kerry West Cork or Galway city right now, we'd want a pretty strong umberella.

The whole of Kerry is under pink.

Yes windward coasts/counties alright getting a lashing.

• Advertisement

darkman2 wrote:
    I dont think there is anything to mis-understand in what I said. Isolated thundery showers - most places dry. Cant rule out a shower anywhere.

Sorry you said anywhere,thats why i have replied.East is anywhere,we wont see this happening here as showers will die out inland away from west.Maybe west would get a rumble,nothing so far yet.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement