Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorms Thread Only

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Strikes moving north at a steady pace.

Please bare with me as i am on dial up as my Broadband connection is down for now.Takes awhile to upload pics.

Thanks

Quite a bit of noise on long wave radio actually.

Tomorrow *could* get interesting. Regardless of whether there will be much in the way of thunder,I'm thinking theres plenty of potential for showers most of which *should* be thundery-what with a hot and humid air flow colliding with our cooler athmosphere.

Localised down pours and many loud rumbles are likely.

Meanwhile I'm disconnecting my modem tonight.This is par for the course for me after the october 2003 storms that fried my pc and modem.

Earthman wrote:
    Quite a bit of noise on long wave radio actually.

Tomorrow *could* get interesting. Regardless of whether there will be much in the way of thunder,I'm thinking theres plenty of potential for showers most of which *should* be thundery-what with a hot and humid air flow colliding with our cooler athmosphere.

Localised down pours and many loud rumbles are likely.

Meanwhile I'm disconnecting my modem tonight.This is par for the course for me after the october 2003 storms that fried my pc and modem.

Wise decision EM or just get a line conditioner at your outlet.Much safer again than a surge protector.:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

This is the thing in these situations, the 'should'. I wouldnt rule out 'only rain' in some places in the East tomorrow. The reason I would suggest is the wind will be northeasterly and im not sure thats the best wind direction even though its a very warm and unstable airmass. We wait and see. Ive a good feeling about it though....

I dont know which I prefer the thunderstorms or the 30C:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/5day.shtml?world=0031

Anyway wetterzentrale tracking those storms on seferics nicely.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/D2u.html

LoL at the 30c in the less than reliable(to put it mildly) BBC 5 dayers.

In my life time,I can never remember Dublin ever getting 30c,its on the East coast ffs.
    Kilkenny and Birr and a few places out west have managed it ...just

30c is not going to be happening in Dublin next week.

26 maybe or a very outside chance of a 27 or a very very very outside chance of a 28.

Chances of a 27 or 28 in the likes of Birr or Kilkenny is high though with an outside chance of a 30c in my opinion.

• Advertisement

Hi Earthman, I konw we wont get near it, I just put the link there for proserity.

Seferics look a bit flat too our south at the moment. Some very heavy rain approaching Southwest England but it dosn't appear thundery despite having a deep cloud base:rolleyes:

With an air temp of 23c and humidity of 85% will make it feel like 30c away from any wind.
    It will feel very sticky from now on till freshning up.

Lightning has begun. Lightining in the Irish sea, very bright flashes. 1 every 2 minutes.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

You living on a lighthouse Dm just curious of where you getting those images. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

lightning.jpg

updates every minute

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Just heard the first rumbles.

A few spots rain...

yes

loud thunder here at the moment

switching Comuter off now!!

Completely dry but the sky is very thundery

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

BANG CRASH WALLOP!

Just one extrememly load crash of thunder which woke me up!

Just starting to rain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Wow, that shook the house :D

Heard that one mothman.

Nice cg lightning with it :D

Nothing here for nearly an hour now but the sky looks well carved up.

Earthman wrote:
    Heard that one mothman.

Nice cg lightning with it :D

Nothing here for nearly an hour now but the sky looks well carved up.

Ive just woken up, it looks dull but no thunder:( Oh well just have to wait for the convection to get going:D

Saw lightning over the Irish sea at 3 am this morning. Nothing yet though.

Just got a really loud rumble here.......one of those freaky type of ones which indicate fork lightning:D Not showing up on seferics and no rain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭pp_me129

Still Nothing here in waterford
    Sun is shining but its overcast with dark gray clouds

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Snowbie wrote:
    Wise decision EM or just get a line conditioner at your outlet.Much safer again than a surge protector.:)
    What's a line conditioner? I had a surge protector/filter device just for the modem for the comp and let's just say a rating of 10 kV wasn't nearly enough.

I don't want any rain today. I've painting to do:D

pp_me129 wrote:
    Still Nothing here in waterford
    Sun is shining but its overcast with dark gray clouds

:D Some contradiction;)

Only one rumble in a very heavy snap downpour......

• Advertisement

darkman2 wrote:
    Lightning has begun. Lightining in the Irish sea, very bright flashes. 1 every 2 minutes.:cool:

Are you sure,didnt get to see that one,nothing detected.

Only activity happening over Scotland at the mo:(
    Just heard one rumble here this morning at 7:50.
    Nothing since,nothing dramatic goin on either out there.
    Temp holding at 15.6c
    Hum 93%

Looks like we will get embedded storms if any today,so no pics of lovely anvils etc unfortunately.

Snowbie wrote:
    Are you sure,didnt get to see that one,nothing detected.

Yes, the stuff over the Irish sea wasnt picked up on seferics either last night. Had a rumble about ten minutes ago, brightening up a bit now. Hopefully more to come later:cool:

Sun coming out here now actually. Temps should rocket. New instability now just showing the genisis of it on satellite off the south coast. Things should liven up again.

Temps up to 19.3c here now in cloudy skies.

I'd be surprised,very surprised if there isnt more thunder later today and over the coming days.
    The sky is ripe for it-very carved.

The sun comes out for a few seconds every now and again and when it does you can see sharp edges to the clouds,some ac there and definitely developing cb's.

Earthman wrote:
    Temps up to 19.3c here now in cloudy skies.

I'd be surprised,very surprised if there isnt more thunder later today and over the coming days.
    The sky is ripe for it-very carved.

The sun comes out for a few seconds every now and again and when it does you can see sharp edges to the clouds,some ac there and definitely developing cb's.

I agree, the scenario is perfect for Biscay storms to role up from the south. In fact we rarely get it any better.

The sky I cant judge because just now we are shrouded in low cloud but I saw it this morning and yep, has storms written all over it.

BTW we had some downpour here an hour or so ago:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Had thunder here at about 11.15. Rain came almost 15 minutes later. Heavy at first but dying out to drizzle.

Are there any Irish-based lightning detectors online at the moment?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭pp_me129

Weather seems to be getting better here in waterford at the mo.
    clouds are breaking up and they are now a vry light shade of gray

Cant see anything only haze,sun tryin to break through though,
    Recorded that downpour at 37.6mm/hr on rain rate,
    ah temp climbing steadily now,very dark to my sw now.

pp_me129 wrote:
    Weather seems to be getting better here in waterford at the mo.
    clouds are breaking up and they are now a vry light shade of gray

Yeah its hard to know whats gonna happen on the south coast especially when the upper level cloud (the stuff were interested in) starts coming in off the Irish sea. Have to wait and see. I think your guarenteed a storm or two today. Good sunny weather on sattelite coming into the south.

• Advertisement

There is nothing over Ireland at the mo some sporadic strikes down in the Celtic but Scotland havin a few.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement