Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorms Thread Only

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Snowbie wrote:
    There is nothing over Ireland at the mo some sporadic strikes down in the Celtic but Scotland havin a few.

Well I had two rumbles (the sharp loud type which is surely fork lightning) this morning. Some of it isnt showing up on seferics. The activity is definatley dying down for now but the Cape will kick in, in the afternoon and convection should really get going:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭pp_me129

darkman2 wrote:
    Yeah its hard to know whats gonna happen on the south coast especially when the upper level cloud (the stuff were interested in) starts coming in off the Irish sea. Have to wait and see. I think your guarenteed a storm or two today. Good sunny weather on sattelite coming into the south.

Good personally i love thunder agus lightning so i am keepin my fingers crossed
    will Keep ye up to date with weather in waterford without fancy gadgets and numbers
    all i do is look out the window

pp_me129 wrote:
    Good personally i love thunder agus lightning so i am keepin my fingers crossed
    will Keep ye up to date with weather in waterford without fancy gadgets and numbers
    all i do is look out the window

Its the best way:) Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

darkman2 wrote:
    Well I had two rumbles (the sharp loud type which is surely fork lightning) this morning. Some of it isnt showing up on seferics. The activity is definatley dying down for now but the Cape will kick in, in the afternoon and convection should really get going:D

Im hesitant,cape low for today but higher tomorrow.We have to get some nice high surface temps to really start convection.

Relying on something special to come up from south.

darkman2 wrote:
    Its the best way:) Cheers

Cheers ? u from dublin by any chance

• Advertisement

pp_me129 wrote:
    Cheers ? u from dublin by any chance

Yup, the 'northside', well north of the northside....

darkman2 wrote:
    Yup, the 'northside', well north of the northside....

See i can sniff ye out like a dog

pp_me129 wrote:
    See i can sniff ye out like a dog

Its not hard I wouldnt think;)

Anyway some strikes to the south of Ireland now and I can see the upper level clouds here now and they do look very threatening.

darkman2 wrote:
    Its not hard I wouldnt think;)

Anyway some strikes to the south of Ireland now and I can see the upper level clouds here now and they do look very threatening.

Yay Any graphs ? or watevea u want to call them

pp_me129 wrote:
    Yay Any graphs ? or watevea u want to call them

Here is one:

http://www.isleofwightweather.co.uk/live_storm_data.htm

• Advertisement

Wooo its gettin *busie* out there now

pp_me129 wrote:
    Wooo its gettin *busie* out there now

Aye, it will be a while yet before it really kicks off. Some very good stuff coming out of Biscay toward soutwest England. Also a storm off the south coast, not too far from you.

too me looks like cork is going to get a battering ???

pp_me129 wrote:
    too me looks like cork is going to get a battering ???

I think you will find the strikes spread and intensify in very different ways. Looks can be decieving. The storm should be heading Northeast but could turn north at the last moment because the wind direction is about to change to a southeasterly.

darkman2 wrote:
    I think you will find the strikes spread and intensify in very different ways. Looks can be decieving. The storm should be heading Northeast but could turn north at the last moment because the wind direction is about to change to a southeasterly.

well a sign of things to come no?

Untitled-1-1.jpg

pp_me129 wrote:
    well a sign of things to come no?

Untitled-1-1.jpg

Oh yeah:D

darkman2 wrote:
    Oh yeah:D
    see U have to watch 4 the signs!!

It is really kicking off down there. That storm is now being tracked....

darkman2 wrote:
    It is really kicking off down there. That storm is now being tracked....
    yea
    tracked?

• Advertisement

That said I've seen livelier sferics down there than that come to nothing but distant rumbles when they head north...
    The lightning might be very high based.

pp_me129 wrote:
    yea
    tracked?

At the bottom of the link to the lightning detector;)

Earthman wrote:
    That said I've seen livelier sferics down there than that come to nothing but distant rumbles when they head north...
    The lightning might be very high based.

Earthman, what do you think of the cloud formations on the latest sattelite down south?. Some potential there I reckon....

darkman2 wrote:
    At the bottom of the link to the lightning detector;)
    yea wateva

its comin north quite fast but i dont think ill be see anything until this afternoon anyway

pp_me129 wrote:
    yea wateva

It was being tracked, that was quick.......

It may be dying out as quick as it started.

darkman2 wrote:
    It was being tracked, that was quick.......
    was.. your living in the past man like mellow out

oh sweet its lining up for a go a waterford yAY

theres nothing on the radar for the area where the IOW detector is showing all those strikes which leads me to think they are very high based and wont in themselves amount to much other than distant rubles.
    The stuff off NW France is a lot more active and interesting though and will come into play later on.

Also the temps over SW England and wales are very high which is more than likely to trigger some late afternoon activity there which we could import.
    We *should* ( but arent guaranteed to ) also import some of the stuff off NW france at the moment.

The stuff with the high based lightning could fire off properly later in this instability as it pushes further north over us.It needs local heat of the day to help this and thats not a certainty but its a highish probabliity.

Overall assessment stays the same... :D "I would be surprised if we didnt see a fair scattering of thunderstorms in Ireland today and over the next few days" :D

• Advertisement

Earthman wrote:
    theres nothing on the radar for the area where the IOW detector is showing all those strikes which leads me to think they are very high based and wont in themselves amount to much other than distant rubles.
    The stuff off NW France is a lot more active and interesting though and will come into play later on.

Also the temps over SW England and wales are very high which is more than likely to trigger some late afternoon activity there which we could import.
    We *should* ( but arent guaranteed to ) also import some of the stuff off NW france at the moment.

The stuff with the high based lightning could fire off properly later in this instability as it pushes further north over us.It needs local heat of the day to help this and thats not a certainty but its a highish probabliity.

Overall assessment stays the same... :D "I would be surprised if we didnt see a fair scattering of thunderstorms in Ireland today and over the next few days" :D

Yeah, high based. There isnt much cloud in the area either! I agree that activity coming out of biscay is of far more interest for now...

It may be high up but it is really starting to flare up just off the south coast......

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement