Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorms Thread Only

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭pp_me129

clouds going away and brighting up here in waterford

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

http://www.met.ie/weathermaps/IRL-IR-sat.jpg You can see the activity coming out of France and Biscay effect southwest England atm.

darkman2 wrote:
    http://www.met.ie/weathermaps/IRL-IR-sat.jpg You can see the activity coming out of France and Biscay effect southwest England atm.
    Its comin my way:p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Nice one picked up SW UK,dunno where its headin,growin stronger though.

Snowbie wrote:
    Nice one picked up SW UK,dunno where its headin,growin stronger though.
    I've a hunch that could be heading north northwest so it may head our way eventually given its current mood.

• Advertisement

Earthman wrote:
    I've a hunch that could be heading north northwest so it may head our way eventually given its current mood.

Latest radar shows sporadic but thundery rain moving north from SW England. Seems to be intensifying:)

lots of activity donw south of me now
    any1 know what direction its goin

darkman2 wrote:
    Latest radar shows sporadic but thundery rain moving north from SW England. Seems to be intensifying:)

Yes a classic thundery arc of showers is that.I dont know if it will intensify much but its definitely heading for south east and Eastern Ireland.

Earthman wrote:
    Yes a classic thundery arc of showers is that.I dont know if it will intensify much but its definitely heading for south east and Eastern Ireland.
    Sweet better batten down the hatches

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Ryanoneill2006

Hi Guys, This is my first post...Great discussion, very informative!

• Advertisement

Hi, cheers:)

The latest radar shows the showers moving north but perhaps a nagging northeastly direction to the flow. We will have to wait and see whether or not they are heading for the South and East or going straight up the Irish sea. Assuming they do then they should really bloom in the next hour or two. A lively evening ahead:cool:

darkman2 wrote:
    QUOTE]

Cheers heehehehe
    hi welcome to the forum!!!
    Happy posting

Welcome

darkman2 wrote:

Cheers heehehehe
    Happy posting

pp_me129 wrote:
    darkman2 wrote:

Cheers heehehehe
    Happy posting

Whats wrong with saying 'cheers':confused:

Welcome to the fun house!

There is a few cells down south but a NNE direction heading.
    The sea seems to be more unstable than the land at the present time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Hi guys, I'm watching this thread here and keep an eye on the link below:

http://www.isleofwightweather.co.uk/live_storm_data.htm (its been posted a little earlier).

Anyway, I was just wonder what the symbols under 'new strike symbols' mean, ie:

+CG
    +IC
    -CG
    -IC

I see the symbols for them popping up on the radar but have no idea what they mean.

Cheers ;)

They havn't really hit a real landmass yet. We will soon find out im sure:)

Hi guys, I'm watching this thread here and keep an eye on the link below:

http://www.isleofwightweather.co.uk/live_storm_data.htm (its been posted a little earlier).

Anyway, I was just wonder what the symbols under 'new strike symbols' mean, ie:

+CG
    +IC
    -CG
    -IC

I see the symbols for them popping up on the radar but have no idea what they mean.

Cheers ;)

CG is cloud - ground
    IC is intra - cloud

- negative strike
    + positive strike

On the latest sattelite its obvious the activity to our south is expanding and becoming more intense. Really anywhere, not just the South east is at risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

darkman2 wrote:
    CG is cloud - ground
    IC is intra - cloud

- negative strike
    + positive strike

On the latest sattelite its obvious the activity to our south is expanding and becoming more intense. Really anywhere, not just the South east is at risk.

Ah, makes sense, thanks a mill :D

• Advertisement

I remember in Sep 2003 there were about 2 days of constant thunder and lightning in Dublin. From what I can remember it was really intense.. What are the chances of a storm of that intensity happening in Dublin over the next few days or are the circumstances different this time around?

Not even close to us yet,
    Have to go out,hopefully something materialises by the time i get back.

I remember in Sep 2003 there were about 2 days of constant thunder and lightning in Dublin. From what I can remember it was really intense.. What are the chances of a storm of that intensity happening in Dublin over the next few days or are the circumstances different this time around?
    Remember that very well,constant for 14 hours,which was freak,wont get that in our lifetime again.:(

Snowbie wrote:
    Not even close to us yet,
    Have to go out,hopefully something materialises by the time i get back.

Yep, taken their time. Im not even sure whether that crop is gonna hit us. As I was saying their track seem a bit Northeasterly atm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭solas

The air is thick with electricty here in waterford. I stepped outside about an hour ago and was blasted with a wave of heat, extremely close. The sun appears to be shining although you can't see it, it's very bright but it was raining slightly at the same time. Haven't seen any fireworks yet but its only a matter of time.

solas wrote:
    The air is thick with electricty here in waterford. I stepped outside about an hour ago and was blasted with a wave of heat, extremely close. The sun appears to be shining although you can't see it, it's very bright but it was raining slightly at the same time. Haven't seen any fireworks yet but its only a matter of time.

Agree with you Solas.. Really close here in Shankill too. Will be very suprised if you we dont get a few rumbles here in the next couple of hours.

Temp has hit a peak here now of 21.3c despite the NE wind...

It's not that close folk, you only think it is.

The RH is only 69% here with a dp of 16c which shouldnt feel muggy if you have had a shower( one in the bathroom that is :D )

Where's Weathercheck? Isn't he usually here when we're on the brink of something exciting!:D

Looks like it will be after dark before anything reaches our shores. The first group are going up the Irish sea and into Northern Wales. There is another crop of showers further south that have more of a bearing on us.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Thunder_struck

Afternoon all, it's the thunderstorm hater here :eek:

Have been looking at

http://www.seeviewo.org/seeview/weather/lightning.htm

http://www.isleofwightweather.co.uk/live_storm_data.htm

and just wondering, is it too early for me to crack open the champagne.....I know I'm tempting fate, but so far any activity up there seems to be swerving to avoid us :D

Bet I'll really regret saying that, all hell will probably break loose later.

But go on, reassure me, tell me it'll be a quite night in west Dublin :eek:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement