Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on New 0.22lr magnum

Options
  • 07-06-2006 1:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

I've been shooting a Krico 0.22 magnum (bolt action )since I was taught to shoot. It was my late fathers and is now over thirty years old, still clean and firing perfect but I've decided to lay it to rest and purchase a new magnum for myself.

I'm looking for advice on whats good in the magnum line at the moment. It will be used for rabbits and the close in foxes. Any advice is much appreciated.

Cheers,

redstag. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

Why would you want to retire it???If it is still working perfectly,it will keep working thru your shooting life and your great grandkids shooting lives. Kricos are well built,and proably a 30 year old gun is better built than some on the market today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Given the line of business redstag is in, he won't be as worried about price as some people, so why not get a nice Anschutz?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

if your selling that kreiko i might be interested can you pm me so pics

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Redstag

if your selling that kreiko i might be interested can you pm me so pics

Sorry psittacosis, Definitely won't be selling it, this was the gun "the great one" used before me. I'll be making a nice display case and showing it off to all the grandchildren...when they come along.

Cheers,
    Redstag.

civdef wrote:
    Given the line of business redstag is in, he won't be as worried about price as some people, so why not get a nice Anschutz?

Nicely spotted Civdef,

I looking at the Anschutz 1516 D KL Walnut Monte Carlo Stock. What do you reckon? The internet reviews don't have anything bad to say about it. Also, I looking for new scopes to go on it, so again the next question what would be a nice set...3-9x40 or 4-10x50? All this advice will get you good credits from me!!!

Cheers,

Redstag.

• Advertisement

Why would you want to retire it???If it is still working perfectly,it will keep working thru your shooting life and your great grandkids shooting lives. Kricos are well built,and proably a 30 year old gun is better built than some on the market today.

To tell you the truth Clare Gunner, theres too much sentiment in the old gun, so I think a new display cabinet showing off the pride of the my late father would be a fitting tribute. But that then leaves me with the need to get myself a spanking new one.

Cheers,

Redstag.

My favourite Anscutz models have always been the 1700 series, the 1720 being the 22wmr versions. The 1720 doesnt seem to be currently listed on the Anschutz website, so I'm not sure if it's still being made, but even if it's not, Ardee might have one in stock. The 1700 series with the Monte Carlo stock is a thing of beauty.

Scopewise, if we're staying on the premium route, a Zeiss or similar...

depends on your budget cz are excellent rifles and if you get a good one they can be as good as anchutz with anchutz you just get quality everything out of the box and no messing around

can you still stick up a few pics my dad had a krico when he started shooting would like to see what they look like

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Croppy Boy

I had a Krico .22mag about thirty years ago. I had it for about six months, when firing at a rabbit one day, the gun blew back, blowing out the contents of the magazine, cracking the stock and splitting my lip. I had to bring it back to the importer (can't remember their name but as far as I can remember they were in Mount St. Dublin). They replaced the gun and a short time later it did the exact same thing. I'm nearly sure the bullets were RWS.

I then exchanged that gun for a .22lr and never looked back.

Warnants?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Croppy Boy

Thats sounds familiar.

ok maybe im wrong but i thought krico where well up there with the best

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

Redstag wrote:
    To tell you the truth Clare Gunner, theres too much sentiment in the old gun, so I think a new display cabinet showing off the pride of the my late father would be a fitting tribute. But that then leaves me with the need to get myself a spanking new one.

Cheers,

Redstag.
    Yeah,but it also means getting another liscense for another rifle that is just going to be a display piece,unless you are going to deact it.Maybe it's just me but I use both my late fathers guns as often as I can,in that way I feel that is more a fitting memory of him,and the same with my grandfathers guns.
    I mean,what is an old gun without it's ghosts and memories of previous hunts,historical battles that they might have accomponied our fathers or grandfathers on it?
    Ironic really, in a hundred years time we will be dead gone and forgotten,but if looked after properly,kept by people who treasure them,and not banned or destroyed by idiot politicans,our guns will still be here.They can be our true memorials.
    Ok,enough waxing maudilin for me tonite.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

but if looked after properly,kept by people who treasure them,and not banned or destroyed by idiot politicans,our guns will still be here

I'm sure the same could be said for yourselves!! :D

Advertisement