Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

good stretch of royal canal for roche etc

Options
  • 07-06-2006 3:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭

I want to introduce my twin boys 3yrs to the joys of coarse fishing. I live in Drumcondra beside the royal canal. I need a stretch with a couple of roach,perch etc. I would travel to the grand canal. I have heard the grand near portobello was recently stocked..Any Ideas ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

There are always a few people fishing around Leixlip and even more down at Maynooth 'harbour', maybe they'd be worth checking out. Train from Drumcondra is handy enough, and its nice and quiet down there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭MarinoMark

Brilliant idea joe, they love trains too..Where in maynooth is the harbour ? near some pub or will I just ask when I get off the train ? Thanks..Mark :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

MarinoMark wrote:
    Brilliant idea joe, they love trains too..Where in maynooth is the harbour ? near some pub or will I just ask when I get off the train ? Thanks..Mark :D
    Once you get off the train, walk through the station and its right in front of you, basically just the big open area of water there. Was down there tonight and there were a few fishing, though the harbour itself was fairly dirty. You'll be better off crossing the wooden footbridge and setting up somewhere over there. Plenty of ducks around for the kids too, and a playground right there beside you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭adonis

did u get anything in maynooth? i was fishing in leixlip the other night, and missed a couple of bites but managed to get one roach at about 6 ounces..no sign of tench or bream or anything though...

I wouldnt really recommend leixlip, its really over fished...
    you can get the train to mullingar too..or enfield, the canals there are pretty good and not so over fished...
    plus there is the grand canal...the train goes from heuston to a place called Sallins, there is a huge bend there that used to have huge shoals of tench and bream ....
    tight lines

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Its a pity about leixlip because it used to be a good spot.IF you want to travel a bit further afield Tarmonbarry in Co Longfor or Clondra(where the canal begins)are great places to fish and they're quiet and secluded.

• Advertisement
Advertisement