Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving cert starts in 2 hours!

Options
  • 07-06-2006 7:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭ThE_IVIAcIVIAIV

are you scared? lol... im afraid im too tired... i went to bed at 11:30 and didn't fall asleep until like 4 am so that was a waste of time! just up now to revise some notes before i set off on my journey lol

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Good luck with it. It's not the end of the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭ThE_IVIAcIVIAIV

Sparks400 wrote:
    Good luck with it. It's not the end of the world.

true but i wouldn't like to repeat :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

haw haw, exam weather!

but yes its true to say the leaving cert is but a blip

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

its really evil that they have the LC on such a nice day. feel sorry for ya man. good luck :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭Dermington

I did it twice. I can honestly say that one month after you get your college place/results you will have to think to remember what you scored in it.

Its one of the biggest anti climax's ever.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

its really evil that they have the LC on such a nice day. feel sorry for ya man. good luck :)

could be worse. the opening match of World Cup 98 was on the same afternoon as my History exam :mad:

the weather was great too

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭DannyBZR

Dont worry about the leaving cert, its definatly not the end of the world, In fact ul probably look back and wonder what all the fuss was about when its all done..

Just go in, Do it, Forget about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

Ah the leaving. Kids worry about it, think its the end of the world, study their holes off, get their points, serve 4 years in college and then end up in exactly the same wage position, or often even a lower wage position, than their mates who went straight into the workforce or dropped out of college midway. I did feck all for it, got a pretty decent points score (not exceptional, but 320 points including B`s in honours History and English when I hadnt even done my History special project or read the novels required* is pretty damn decent) went to college, realised it was sh1te, dropped out, and now Im possibly the best paid 19 year old I know, working with quite a few people in their mid to late 20s who did the 4 years of college shabang and are on my wage, and have just as much chance as me, maybe even less, of moving out of that bracket, seeing as where I work your knowledge of the system has nothing to do with your 4 years spent doing Arts in UCD. I never have to do an exam again, I merely go out and enjoy the good weather that always coincides with exam season :D 3rd level isnt pointless, but unless you are doing something pretty high up (medicine, law, IT, certain science courses) you are going to be probably less well off than hard workers who went straight into the workforce, seeing as by the time you get out of college theyve been in the workforce for 4 years and saved a bit, whilst you have nothing left from 4 years of working Saturdays in Dunnes Stores. My mother has a degree, she did it over 5 years started when she was about 37 or so, thought it would get her decent work. I currently earn 4- 5 grand a year more than she does. It was a degree in English, Philosophy, bit of Socialogy, something like that. Feck all use.

*:tip for the kids. If the thought of reading Pride and Prejudice or trawling through the gay subplot of A Room With a View terrifies you, simply watch the film/tv adaptions of them, get some very detailed chapter by chapter summaries off the internet and lo and behold, you will find yourself able to write 7 page essays on them as if you had read the poxy yokes. Worked for me :)

And you are lucky now, back in my day there was only Pride and Prejudice the tv show from the 90s. Now you can watch the big screen one with Keira Knightley

*wipes drool from keyboard*

• Registered Users Posts: 13,895 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

are you scared? lol...

I'm not scared at all.

Just bored in work. :D

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭SpAcEd OuT

Oh **** I Slept In

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

Tha Gopher wrote:
    Ah the leaving. Kids worry about it, think its the end of the world, study their holes off, get their points, serve 4 years in college and then end up in exactly the same wage position, or often even a lower wage position, than their mates who went straight into the workforce or dropped out of college midway. I did feck all for it, got a pretty decent points score (not exceptional, but 320 points including B`s in honours History and English when I hadnt even done my History special project or read the novels required* is pretty damn decent) went to college, realised it was sh1te, dropped out, and now Im possibly the best paid 19 year old I know, working with quite a few people in their mid to late 20s who did the 4 years of college shabang and are on my wage, and have just as much chance as me, maybe even less, of moving out of that bracket, seeing as where I work your knowledge of the system has nothing to do with your 4 years spent doing Arts in UCD. I never have to do an exam again, I merely go out and enjoy the good weather that always coincides with exam season :D 3rd level isnt pointless, but unless you are doing something pretty high up (medicine, law, IT, certain science courses) you are going to be probably less well off than hard workers who went straight into the workforce, seeing as by the time you get out of college theyve been in the workforce for 4 years and saved a bit, whilst you have nothing left from 4 years of working Saturdays in Dunnes Stores. My mother has a degree, she did it over 5 years started when she was about 37 or so, thought it would get her decent work. I currently earn 4- 5 grand a year more than she does. It was a degree in English, Philosophy, bit of Socialogy, something like that. Feck all use.

*:tip for the kids. If the thought of reading Pride and Prejudice or trawling through the gay subplot of A Room With a View terrifies you, simply watch the film/tv adaptions of them, get some very detailed chapter by chapter summaries off the internet and lo and behold, you will find yourself able to write 7 page essays on them as if you had read the poxy yokes. Worked for me :)

And you are lucky now, back in my day there was only Pride and Prejudice the tv show from the 90s. Now you can watch the big screen one with Keira Knightley

Your inane anecdotal "evidence" proves nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Best of luck everyone.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

I agree, that statement was ridiculous and should not ever be said, especially to people about to start the leaving

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭me and the biz

Tha Gopher wrote:
    And you are lucky now, back in my day....
    lol you said you were 19... so a year or two ago?!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

good luck to all the LCers. my brother's doing his... he said english this morning was easy, so that's a good start i suppose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

Tha Gopher wrote:

thats not what you said yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

Tha Gopher wrote:
    Ah the leaving. Kids worry about it, think its the end of the world, study their holes off, get their points, serve 4 years in college and then end up in exactly the same wage position, or often even a lower wage position, than their mates who went straight into the workforce or dropped out of college midway. I did feck all for it, got a pretty decent points score (not exceptional, but 320 points including B`s in honours History and English when I hadnt even done my History special project or read the novels required* is pretty damn decent) went to college, realised it was sh1te, dropped out, and now Im possibly the best paid 19 year old I know...

haha. :rolleyes:

Been a while since I did the LC... anyway there's no way I'd get anywhere unless I did my college course and am continuing the way I am

nevermind all that

LC is no bother, don't worry about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Catney

Tha Gopher wrote:

Not a great thing to write when people are just starting their leaving cert. It is important that people get the leaving cert in perspective, ie it is not the end of the world if you dont get it, but it is important, and going to college does open doors.

btw... you wouldnt even get an interview where I work unless you have a 2:1 in a university degree.

Also I know plenty of people that took the road that you took, and were doing really well. And by their late twenties when it actually came to the point where high ranking jobs should open up, they didnt get a look in. I started my first proper job when I was 22. There was a lady who was at the time 10 years my senior, and I was one of her direct reports. As the company grew, it became evident that she didnt have the skills, and she is now one of my direct reports.

If you are not entrepreneurial in this country you need education. A degree at this point isnt even something that distinguishes you. Just look at the amount of people taking ACCA, CFA's and Masters Degrees. People are realising that not even a degree differentiates. It does get the foot in the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

Tha Gopher wrote:

You see, you sound to me like you're trying to justify it to yourself.

College is not just about earning more money when you graduate, it's about having fun and studying something you enjoy.

• Advertisement

What, the fact Im on the same wage as a pile of graduates in their late 20s who think what they did was feck all use proves nothing? bwahahaha:D As said, Im on a fairly good wage. However, if Im on the same wage when Im their age Id be heading down the river with a rock and a rope.

Pet- college is exactly about earning more money in the future. If you spend 4 years largely absent from the workforce in college doing a degree that will get you the same job as a dropout got when he was 19, that is 4 years of mortgage/rent money not saved up.

I think that when it comes to real life some boards posters need to stop listening to what their mammy and their teachers told them, and instead talk to people around the age of 30 who have lived it and are better capable of giving unbiased advice.

Tha Gopher wrote:
    What, the fact Im on the same wage as a pile of graduates in their late 20s who think what they did was feck all use proves nothing? bwahahaha:D As said, Im on a fairly good wage. However, if Im on the same wage when Im their age Id be heading down the river with a rock and a rope.

Pet- college is exactly about earning more money in the future. If you spend 4 years largely absent from the workforce in college doing a degree that will get you the same job as a dropout got when he was 19, that is 4 years of mortgage/rent money not saved up.

I think that when it comes to real life some boards posters need to stop listening to what their mammy and their teachers told them, and instead talk to people around the age of 30 who have lived it and are better capable of giving unbiased advice.

My bf dropped out of college, got a great job with good money for a few years, and hated it. Loathed it. Has now come back to college at age 30.
    *:tip for the kids. If the thought of reading Pride and Prejudice or trawling through the gay subplot of A Room With a View terrifies you, simply watch the film/tv adaptions of them, get some very detailed chapter by chapter summaries off the internet and lo and behold, you will find yourself able to write 7 page essays on them as if you had read the poxy yokes. Worked for me
    You must be ****ing joking.
    No wonder people have less and less ability in the areas of spelling and grammar - everything is "reading is too hard? Well then sit slack-jawed in front of a screen and the work will be done for you!"
    If you have 1-2 years to read a damn book, there is no excuse not to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Awayindahils

I skipped fourth year and a teacher in my new school said that i had missed out on a terrible opterunity by prejudging it etc And while I don't nessceesarily agree with him I do appricate the fact that i can't really comment in any agrument about TY and whether its good or bad, only that i didn't do it. I say it wouldn't ahve syuite dme but I don't know that.

It's the same for college. You can't just assume that it's not going to suit you or that you'll make more money by not going, well unless you've been offered some ridclously good job so as playing professional sport etc. If you have the opterunity to go to college then do so. If you hate it, it's cost you nothing. You've gained valueble 'life expierence' even if you drop out after a year. Aside from that its not just your degree which helps your employment opertunities, involvement in college through societies sports clubs and other bodies, the chance to improve your languages by studying abroad, increased chances of travelling in general, these thinks help you later life aswell. DCU even take extra curriculars inot account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

I wouldent want to spend another year in the prison for the mind and creative ability LOL:D

bluewolf wrote:
    You must be ****ing joking.
    No wonder people have less and less ability in the areas of spelling and grammar - everything is "reading is too hard? Well then sit slack-jawed in front of a screen and the work will be done for you!"
    If you have 1-2 years to read a damn book, there is no excuse not to.

Laziness? I read tonnes of books as a kid, and my mam read to me from god knows what age regularly, I could read relatively well before I started school. All of which gave me a good vocab when it came to essay writing for exams etc. Believe it or not, college actually killed that. In my one and a half years in college, I got the odd novel out of the library, but because there was always an exam around the corner that needed a bit of study I seldom got a book finished, or else rushed to the end. I havent read a full book in about two years now, though now Im out of college and have a life I might start again.

As for my advice, all Im simply saying is it worked for me. Tbh I used to be prouder when I pulled off a crackin result through skiving rather than an OK result through hard work. I think its just an Irish thing :) I busted my balls to get a D3 in ord level maths (honestly, I hadnt a fcuking clue, anytime I attempted to study it a voice in my head kept shouting "this is pointless to your life. you will NEVER need to know this. Go outside") but I was prouder of the B1/B2 I got in higher English and History, especially because the teachers were convinced Id get a low mark due to doing homework not exactly being my style back then. Thing is, I simply cannot read anything that doesnt interest me. Ill be half way through the first sentence and my brain will already be off. So I said feck it. Dropped out of college and now I have a decent job with opportunity for advancement, something that those entering in college in September wont see for 4 years, and thats if theyre lucky. As Ive said before, I work with an awful lot of graduates in their mid/late 20s who earn the same as me. And most started with or after me. So where were they for 3 years after leaving college? Presumably in a worse paying job. So, put simply, Ive skipped the queue by 6 whole years by not going. 6 years is alot of mortgage money to save up. And anyone who thinks a degree counts more than experience in most jobs has been taking too much acid in their college days.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

The whole college thing...

College can be different things to different people. For some it is the only way into their career of choice, medicine/engineering/etc. For others, it's a time to chill out and have some fun. For others it's a place to network. For others it's a place to gain life experience.

College isn't mandatory by any means. But neither is it something that should be quickly dismissed just because you happen to be on a good wage atm.

Advertisement