Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tinting house windows

Options
  • 07-06-2006 8:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭

Hi there

anyone know of a company that will fit tinting film to house windows? I know there are companies that do this for cars alright, but cant seen to find one that does it for houses.

Any help appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44 KILRB

Hi, I'm just in the process of also trying to find out about this. 3M do it but not directly so I've no idea of cost. They have an agent in Wicklow who subcontracts so I'm hoping to be able to get a quote set up in the next few days. I should be getting a call today. I'll keep you posted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭jessop1

nice 1, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭beolight

why do you want to tint your windows may i ask?

Because i get a lot of direct sunlight in the front and back windows in the morning and the evening. Basically I have to keep the blinds shut or all the carpet, furniture, curtains etc. will end up getting faded from the sun.

Ok the name and number of the guy who does the 3M stuff is Austin - 087 2577544 - he has a couple of solutions for domestic use.
    There is also a company in Finglas called Tintec where you can speak with Tom 01-8342700 - I haven't spoken with him yet.
    Best of luck, will be interesting to hear how you get on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

KILRB wrote:
    Because i get a lot of direct sunlight in the front and back windows in the morning and the evening. Basically I have to keep the blinds shut or all the carpet, furniture, curtains etc. will end up getting faded from the sun.
    Are you only doing this because of the recent good weather? Its not like this all the time here....:cool:

Interesting question Lex, the answer is no. My house faces due west so as soon as the sun moves around I get very strong sunshine in front. Ironically this is almost worse in the winter time when the sun is much lower in the sky.
    The tint also does very little about heat and it also lets good light through, esentially it is a UV filter which protects from the fading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭jessop1

Thanks for the info there KILRB.

I'm doing it for privacy reasons myself. I have an office/studio in a side extension on my house. We have a tall window with pull down blinds and every tom jack and barry walking by can see in.. there is some reasonably expensive computer & music hardware in there so I dont want to make myself a target for burglary. The darker the tint, the better!

cheers :-)

I only really went through the 2 lower end of the scale products but there are some more heavy duty more commercial products available from them. It is a good solution to maintain your privace but retain your light and view from the inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Interesting one for you...do you need to apply for any sort of PP to do this to the front of the house?

• Advertisement

No

Advertisement