Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Options when you BadFlash!

Options
  • 07-06-2006 9:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭

Recently badflashed my bios on a Shuttle SN45G, I'd like to think it wasn't my fault but i flashed it with the wrong bios :)

Anyways the harm was done, was looking around for options instead of replacing the mobo(kinda difficult for a SFF)

So, here we go.

#1 - Replacement Bios preflashed - http://www.flashbios.org/catalog/

#2 Bios Saviour - Backup Bios with dual bios facility (if your bios is boned, you need it preflashed as well) - http://www.eksitdata.com/

I went for option 1, costs 20euro shipped from Holland for a PLCC replacement chip with my bios of choice.

Removing a PLCC is straight forward, you can buy one of the tools or get surgical screwdrivers (or whatever they're called) and tweak the chip up evenly, then just pop her out.

These chips are not soldered in place, and quite easy to remove and insert.

Saves replacing the mobo and I should be up and working in a day or two.

Hope that helps anyone in a similar situation

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Or you could have posted here beforehand and I could have flashed the dud BIOS chip for you :)

But I'm glad you got it working anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Optikus

As Wizzard siad, you could of just had it hot flashed by someone with the same type of BIOS chip. Would have saved you downtime and money.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

I don't like relying on other people too much :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

A few PLCC chips and a programmer would be handy to have in anyone's toolbox.
    I've seen a few bios multiplexers, there is some scope for selecting which BIOS you boot from, though you'd have to cold-boot (SB5V off) after each switch.

Advertisement