Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car Stereos

Options
  • 07-06-2006 9:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Quick question . . Does anyone have any experience with using US-bought car stereos in Europe ? Will they work ? I know that I need to confirm that the FM frequency range covers Europe, but is there anything else I need to be aware of ? ?

Thanks for your help ?

HJ

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

The frequency range is practiaclly the same. However, a US FM stereo will only tune in 0.2MHz steps unlike FM tuners in Europe that tune in 0.1 or 0.05MHz steps. For example you can tune top 88.5MHz but not to 88.6MHz - you cannot tune to any frequency where the first digit after the decimal place is an even number. So, if your in Dublin you cannot tune to FM104 (104.4MHz), Newstalk (106.00MHz) and lots of others.

Some RDS fuctions are slightly different - some PTY categories are labeled differently and there is no AF (Alternative Frequency) function. So if you drive from Dublin to Cork you and listen to RTE 2FM you will manually have to change frequency as the US stereo will not detect the stronger signal on an alternative frequency.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭hallelujajordan

I'm looking at one in Crutchfields that apparently has European tuning so presumably this means it will increment in 0.1 steps . . Are there any other variables that might cause me a problem fitting in a European car ? Its amazing how much cheaper they are in the US . .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

If it has European tuning then you should be OK. I bought most of my ICE in the US and the prices are so much cheaper. Remember to factor in the VAT if your having it shipped. I just 'smuggled' my kit back in my luggage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭hallelujajordan

Excuse the ignorance, but what is ICE ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

In Car Entertainment

• Advertisement
Advertisement