Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

my dog is weird

Options
  • 07-06-2006 11:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭

my dog has started to suck his you know what does anyone elses dog do this its really horrible because straight after he tries to jump on you

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭fabcat

eeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwww

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

If your dog is oversexed and you can't handle it then maybe you should consider having him neutered, depending on his age and general health.

Sarah

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭animan

rang up about that 2day 120-140 is a bit pricey and as 4 oversexed there r no other dogs in the house he is chasing the cat alot tho he is 9 months old

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

A bit of licking of the genitals is perfectly normal. After all we all wash ourselves "there", don't we?

Excessive licking should

a) be checked out by a vet. Could be caused by an itching infection / bladder infection. Quite a few (male) dogs carry unchecked and untreated genital infections of all sorts.

b) not permitted. If he's found to be all healthy and still licks himself excessively just tell him off repeatedly and consistenly. That should make him stop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭themole

Why does a dog lick his balls?

Because he can :)

• Advertisement

Peasant, excessive licking in males is very common and has more to do with the sex drive than anything else unless the dog has discharge from its penis. Animan, I don't know where you are are but neutering of male dogs costs between 45-65 Euro here, depending on the size of the dog. Also, at 9 months the dog is a teenager and has sexual awakening like other mammals. Try to control this behaviour by telling him off but some dogs are oversexed and you need to deal with it before he starts humping your visitors ;).

Sarah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Spliffany692000

LOL...LOL...LOL....Sorry but sounds so funny!! Your dog sounds as bad as my pervy hamster...maybe we should introduce them...sounds like a match made in heaven to me!!!

Egar

Not every genital infection comes with a visible discharge ...no harm in having the dog checked for infection(s) anyway.

And while I would agree that neutering the dog is a good idea (no offspring, less chance of testicular cancer, reduced sexdrive, etc) I don't think neutering should be seen as a way of correcting behaviour.

If the dog has an overly prominent sexdrive, by all means help it by reducing his hormone levels via neutering ...but also work on correcting unwanted behaviour actively through training.

The "snip" alone will not automatically guarantee the end of all unwanted behaviour. Even a neutered dog may still try to hump visitors / other dogs if you let it, be it for "sexual" or "dominance" reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Arcadian

EGAR wrote:
    but neutering of male dogs costs between 45-65 Euro here, depending on the size of the dog.

Sarah

HA ! I think your confusing cats and dogs. Even a tiny male dog costs about €130 at any vets i've check out, with females closer to €200.

Whatever the cost, the dog should still be neutered and at the very least checked over by a vet just to be sure there are no infections present.

Arcadian: No, I am not confusing cats and dogs. I have an average of 40 dogs each year at the vets for spaying or neutering, so I know what it costs here ;). And the price I mentioned was without the rescue discount that I am getting at my vets. It really seems to depends where in the country you are.

Peasant: I did not suggest that neutering is the be all end all for behavioural problems. I merely stated that at this age behaviour like that is very common and if telling him off doesn't work then the owner should consider a snip. I had several dogs here which humped everything with or without a pulse and even the strictest training did not work. I usually do not believe in pediatric spaying/neutering but in some cases there is no other way as this also reduces the stress level for the animal tremendously (sp).

Sarah

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

A dog costs €45-55 here in Laois - where the heck are you? Are you taking them to the Blackrock clinic for dogs?

where the heck are you ? im in dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Arcadian

I'm in Dublin, surprise surprise :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

I've been hearing ads on the radio saying you can get your animals neutered for €14 if you're on the dole, I think?

Try the Dog Neutering Hotline, 1890 946 336

Your dog sounds as if he might possibly be stressed. Are you training him, giving him at least a 40-minute walk every day, giving him a life of routine and enough petting but not making him the centre of the household?

yes we are training him he has 1 hour walk a day and a 2 hour walk on weekends and we do pet him alot

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Strokesfan

You said he's 9 months! I have a male pup and the vet told me that if he "becomes a problem" (humping, escaping etc) around 8 months that we should get the snip! 9 months is right on target for the dog coming into his own ha ha - seriously it should be cheaper for males to neuter - I know how you feel, it's traumatic for the owners :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

My grandads dog was a bit frisky in his younger years and we got him snipped, felt sorry for the poor little guy but it has helped him a lot, he is very settled and doesnt stray to far unlike before...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭matu

I wish I could lick my you know whats, how bad I think you should give him a gold medal or a big bone .... oh wait he already has one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

matu wrote:
    I wish I could lick my you know whats, how bad I think you should give him a gold medal or a big bone .... oh wait he already has one.

I've never understood this! I have never felt jealous of a dog or had any inclination to want to blow myself. I cannot believe that it is a common lament by most blokes. Now I am not prudish either. There isn't a part of a womens body I would not lick but my own C***. No thanks! :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

peasant wrote:
    ...less chance of testicular cancer...
    I've always wondered about this statement, and it seems to be a standard part of the 'promotional material' encouraging people to neuter their pets.

Surely, if the testicles are removed, the chances of the dog getting testicular cancer are now zero? Or is it possible to get testicular cancer without having testicles?

• Advertisement

Rovi wrote:
    Surely, if the testicles are removed, the chances of the dog getting testicular cancer are now zero?

Absolutely correct.
    But a non-neutered dog doesn't automatically get testicular cancer. The percentage figure, I believe, is somewhere in single digits.

So zero is "less of a chance" than a small chance ...if you get my drift.

Should have formulatated it better, I guess :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

peasant wrote:
    Should have formulatated it better, I guess
    I wasn't having a go at you peasant, apologies it appeared as if I was :o

It's just that I've seen the phrase "less chance of testicular cancer" (or similar wording) used in 'official' promotional material, and it always struck me as a bit odd.

That said, the ISPCA site states: "Neutering your male dog or cat prevents testicular cancer...", so I can't go blaming them for wherever it was I saw it.

Advertisement