Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pistol Ammo Prices

Options
  • 07-06-2006 11:40am
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Price of pistol ammo seems to have shot up. I was paying €10 per 50 for 9mm and thats gone up to €12. I hear its the same for the rest of the calibers. Anyone else come accross this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

It's been creeping up a bit, but not as dramatically, I was paying €12 for 50 for ages, now it's €12.50.

That €10 price was the best I'd heard of (though unfortunately never took advantage of!)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Of course, even top-of-the-line .22lr pistol ammo's only about half that ;)

(And the top-of-the-line air pistol ammo is going for around €6 for 500 :D )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭cantona

.40 cal €300/1000 down south, £175/1000 up north

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

9mm: €10-€12/50 rounds.
    Less if you purchase by the case (1000 rounds).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 slugster

Why not set up a deal with one or two ammo suppliers/dealers.

For example you could show your interest by replying to a thread advertising this Group and its intention.

With one person in charge of admin by way of recieving the enrolling e-mails from registered users, containing details of ammo and quantity usage.

Create a tender request for the supplier/dealer and Negotiate the rest of the way.

After agreeing the rates, the supplier would get a list of E.G. [names + 1st 3rd charachter of the serial number(s)]. The remainder of the details would be given to the supplier/dealer by the individual. All who are enrolled in this would automatically gain the improved rates.

The agreement would be subject to a periodic review of service. (Lets get the sales man to chase us for a change)

A Courier sysytem could also be set up in the same way.

By centeralizing our purchases under one banner we would take some of the monetary bite out of the sport.

• Advertisement

It wouldn't be legal slugster, at least not right now. Dealers aren't being granted import permits for fullbore pistol ammo, so they can only import ammo for people with licences up to (I think) 150% of the amount on your licence. So say you have two people, A and B, both allowed to have 100 rounds of 9mm ammo each. The dealer can import 300 rounds of 9mm ammo for both of them; but legally, if he sold any of A's ammo to B, he'd be committing a crime. Practically, it's not enforcable with the way things are done right now, but what you're suggesting would be a very explicit act and you could get hammered for it.

More practically than that, unless you're buying in excess of 10,000 rounds, few ammo companies would even talk to you; and you'd still have to go through a firearms dealer unless you wanted to get registered as a dealer yourself (which isn't cheap as you'd need secure storage and so forth). And why would a firearms dealer assist you in undercutting both himself and other firearms dealers?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

Sparks wrote:
    It wouldn't be legal slugster, at least not right now. Dealers aren't being granted import permits for fullbore pistol ammo, so they can only import ammo for people with licences up to (I think) 150% of the amount on your licence. So say you have two people, A and B, both allowed to have 100 rounds of 9mm ammo each. The dealer can import 300 rounds of 9mm ammo for both of them; but legally, if he sold any of A's ammo to B, he'd be committing a crime. Practically, it's not enforcable with the way things are done right now, but what you're suggesting would be a very explicit act and you could get hammered for it.

That's about the long and the short of it, but it's actually 250% of what's allowed on your cert. that the dealer can get in for you.
    Given what I'm currently paying for .45ACP ammo (€15 - €16 for 50 rounds) I've already started looking at reloading kit so that I'll be ready to go immediately once the CJB is through.
    On the basis of my preliminary figures, I reckon I will be able to produce .45ACP rounds for €6.00 to €7.00 per 50 (using saved brass).

Sparks wrote:

I appologise for firing these up on the boards but you wont know if you dont ask.

lets say 20 people from around the country decide to pick Dealer X as ther supplier of ammo.(all types)

lets also say that Dealer X keeps a log of the multiples of pistol ammo held/sold for each of those 20 to avoid confusion.

Dealer X isnt interested in Company Cartels and opts for the healthy compitition approach.

Dealer X offers Preferential prices for ongoing business from his new customers.

What is rong with the above?

Is it illegal for one person to utilise this type of buying power for the consumers benefit?

Could a club for example negotiate a price benefit for its members?

Are there rules on where you can and can not buy your ammo from?

Am I wrecking everybodies head?

I forgot that everything from cars to Kitchens and bullets to bathrooms are over priced by colluding companies.:confused:

What law would you be breaking ? Im obviously not doing this myself as my pistol Licence is ...Im Pretty Sure ..on a slow boat from China....now thats De-centralisation..:D

slugster wrote:
    I appologise for firing these up on the boards but you wont know if you dont ask.
    No need to apologise slugster, that's what the board's here for.
    lets say 20 people from around the country decide to pick Dealer X as ther supplier of ammo.(all types)
    lets also say that Dealer X keeps a log of the multiples of pistol ammo held/sold for each of those 20 to avoid confusion.
    Dealer X isnt interested in Company Cartels and opts for the healthy compitition approach.
    Dealer X offers Preferential prices for ongoing business from his new customers.
    What is rong with the above?
    Nothing. But there's no advantage in it either because you're proposing that 20 people choose a dealer who offers the lowest price; but since everyone's going to go to the dealer with the lower price anyway...
    Is it illegal for one person to utilise this type of buying power for the consumers benefit?
    Could a club for example negotiate a price benefit for its members?
    Are there rules on where you can and can not buy your ammo from?
    It's not illegal for a dealer to set a low price; and there are no rules on where a licence-holder buys his ammo from as such; but the dealers are currently restricted in their imports of ammunition. They can't bulk-buy because they're restricted to ordering small amounts (250% of the licence limit as said above) rather than the usual tens or hundreds of thousands of rounds that ammunition companies usually deal in. A club could buy it's own ammunition, yes - if it was a firearms dealer (DURC for example could do just that with .22lr ammunition). But if the club was a firearms dealer, it'd face the same problems our dealers have right now anyway.
    Am I wrecking everybodies head?
    It's not you, it's the current legal situation that's head-wrecking!

Thanks for the answers Sparks.. I ment to say (e.g. 20 people) The number would be far greater ......I here Gardai quaking in their boots - Viva Le Revolution.:eek:

Not everyone knows where to go for a cheap deal!

So only 7% of the population own firearms, most of those are probably old double barrels like what my uncle had ....The pinnacle of Master Gunsmithing , A Great big GutterBolt holding it together. No wonder the Superintendinos are nervous of all these newfangled auto laser semi thingies that people keep requesting tickets on.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

He might not be able to though Samson - technically, even if he had ten thousand rounds on the shelf behind him while talking to you, he couldn't sell you one round legally until he'd imported your ammunition, if you follow me. It's a very daft situation, but unless the DoJ changes its mind on import certs for dealers for ammo, we're probably stuck with it until after the CJB comes in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

I'm not sure that all pistol ammo import certs have had those conditions attached, I've heard of at least a couple that came through with no such conditions as to who they could be sold to.

You've heard more than me on this one so civ - I hadn't heard of any dealer getting an import licence for pistol ammo.

Sparks wrote:
    He might not be able to though Samson - technically, even if he had ten thousand rounds on the shelf behind him while talking to you, he couldn't sell you one round legally until he'd imported your ammunition, if you follow me. It's a very daft situation, but unless the DoJ changes its mind on import certs for dealers for ammo, we're probably stuck with it until after the CJB comes in.

True.
    I have deleted my foot in mouth post.

Advertisement