Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Wiring up a Stereo & Speakers in a Mini

Options
  • 07-06-2006 11:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭

I'm posting this for my brother.

Yesterday myself and my brother spent a few hours installing a Stereo & a set of speakers in his '89 Mini.
    Here's what we had wired up:
    1 wire from the battery to to head unit, this was for memory power or something
    1 wire from the ignition to the head unit and
    1 ground wire from the unit to a screw

Speakers where wired up corectly to from what i could see, polarities where right.

The whole system worked fine but only for a few mins when the head unit just turned of and never came back on.
    I check if there was current coming trough on a multimeter, it showed just under 15 volts (to high?).

Some how i think the speakers arent right (i didnt think they sounded right at least). He has them under the back seat in a board facing forward. I think the magnet of the speakers might be touching of the frame (metal) for the back seats, could this cause problems?

There was 1 wire we didnt wire up which had something to do with a earial, for powering them ones that extend when the car turns on.

If anyone has any idea's what could have gone wrong, please post before we fry the replacement head unit to.

Jozi

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

if its new then there prob is a fuse on the positive wire (red?) in a little inline fuse box, mine blew when i put in my radio, one may be at the back of the radio, if you wired it up from the battery then i suppose the car fuse box has been bypassed. check these out maybe, also a strong earth is needed.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,573 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Quite possibly a blown fuse alright!!

Pop over to www.manic-motorz.com and ask the lads there!! They will help you out aswell!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

Checked the fuse in the radio, just over the main connector on the unit, and it looked fine. Must check if there was a in line fuse, dont recall seeing it tbh.

By strong earth you mean a thick wire? I'll change the earth wire with a thicker guage wire anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

jozi wrote:
    Checked the fuse in the radio, just over the main connector on the unit, and it looked fine. Must check if there was a in line fuse, dont recall seeing it tbh.

By strong earth you mean a thick wire? I'll change the earth wire with a thicker guage wire anyway

By strong earth i mean that the earth wire is well screwed in to some metal part of the body.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

Grand. I'll just move it else where just incase that i had a bad ground where we put it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement