Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English Paper One

Options
  • 07-06-2006 12:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

How did everyone get on? I thought mine went well, stayed in till 20 minutes from the end.

Part A: Text 2, Ghost Writing
    Part B: Text 1, the Diary
    Composing: "It was mad...ridiculous" - 4 guys cheating in their Leaving Certs

Edit: I did Higher Level

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭NADA

yeah very decent paper. Timed it prefectly
    Did question A text one
    question b text 3
    and the essay on the importance of romance in our lives.

Thank God its over though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kwekubo

Raphael wrote:
    How did everyone get on? I thought mine went well, stayed in till 20 minutes from the end.

Mate, you'll get very few people on here till after Paper Two! I'm not doing English since I'm repeating so that's my excuse. Get on your sample answers pronto!

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭EyeDeeOne

yo

did ordinary level

part a text 1
    part b text 2
    part c number 6

yeh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

NADA wrote:
    yeah very decent paper. Timed it prefectly
    Did question A text one
    question b text 3
    and the essay on the importance of romance in our lives.

Thank God its over though.
    Great paper, the texts were actually interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Yeah I'm thinking maybe a B paper.My essay was very strong(question 5),the rest less impressive but it was undoubtedly better then paper 2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Lord Oz

Good paper, nice essays. Did anyone get the farscape reference?

THAT'S WHO SHE WAS DRESSED AS! Thank you, I;ve been trying to figure out why I recognised that costume for hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭michelle_ie

Yay it went good me thinks!

Section A - question 1
    Section B- the letter! hahaha i wrote to Dan Brown!
    Essay- it was mad ridicolous- a short story about a drug addict...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

Nice enough paper, texts were quite enjoyable and there were a few nice essays in there.

I did Part A on text 1, decent answers, but a little disappointed because I usually nail the comprehension bit.

Part B's weren't fantastic for me, I did the letter from text 2. I hilariously wrote a letter to Gary Lineker. A surprisingly good letter, too, despite that, if a tad short.

I nailed the essay, did the speech to world leaders, same as my mocks, and improved it significantly.

Happy enough, but could have done better on section 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

I nailed the essay, did the speech to world leaders, same as my mocks, and improved it significantly.

Same here.Did it on casual racism and its impact on social integration,world poverty and Islamic terrorism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

Text 1 Question B
    Text 3 Question A
    Essay Q 2

Went well, had to rush the essay in 45 mins cos I went for perfection on the first two parts, but it was still solid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

I did pretty shite in this paper to be honest. My A questions were vague and a bit waffly. My report wasn't really a report and my essay was of poor quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

Her hair glistened in the rain like nose hair after a sneeze.

She grew on him like she was a colony of E. coli and he was room-temperature British beef.

The hailstones leaped from the pavement, just like maggots when you fry them in hot grease.

used those three on paper one :D that oughta get a few laughs. nailed paper 1, apart from, the report, i fcukd up the layout but i won't lose much, still on for an A on paper 1.

just hope a can scrape an A for paper 2 also.

smemon wrote:
    Her hair glistened in the rain like nose hair after a sneeze.

She grew on him like she was a colony of E. coli and he was room-temperature British beef.

The hailstones leaped from the pavement, just like maggots when you fry them in hot grease.

used those three on paper one :D that oughta get a few laughs. nailed paper 1, apart from, the report, i fcukd up the layout but i won't lose much, still on for an A on paper 1.

just hope a can scrape an A for paper 2 also.
    Except for the fact that that list is very well known and the corrector will almost certainly know you copied them from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 tweetypie

Text 1 - Question B (diary entry)
    Text 2 - Question A (ghost writing)
    And i did the first essay!:)

Raphael wrote:
    Except for the fact that that list is very well known and the corrector will almost certainly know you copied them from it.

ah well, at least that show i learned for the exam! i twisted them about a bit anyway to make them more personal.

i'd never heard of them 'til i read them on here so i doubt an old examiner who doesnt use the net will have either :) at least that's what im telling myself after your latest revelations :p

Section 1
    Part A Text 2
    Part B Text 1

Section 2
    Personal essay about honesty.
    (same as tweetypie!)

i've never sat a better paper to be honest. Will be pushing for an A, at the least a B2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭ThE_IVIAcIVIAIV

paper 1

text 1 :A
    text 2 :B
    section 2 :Q4 (get rich scheme article)

did great in text 1 and 2 then screwed my article i think!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭CrimE

Didn't like the essays at all and forgot to lay out report properly, oops!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭Faerie

Raphael wrote:

Edit: I did Higher Level

Weird I did exactly the same...except of course for the actual story in the essay. Mine was about a murder and an incestuous relationship....not sure where I get my inspiration from!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Rockerette

i didnt like the essays. not at all. big pile of bollocks for me personally...

i looked at them first, and they put me in a bad mood for the rest of the exam...

usually one sticks out for me, but i could barely get 4 pages on it, somethign about the stresses young people are under.

comprehensions were grand, did the Ghost Writer questions, and the Diary entry.

im not too happy with it all, both papers. i need a B3 for the course i want, got B1 in the mocks, was hoping for an A to boost up my points, but i dont think so. not after that essay, which set the tone for all of it.. i'll be lucky to get a B3 i'd say. gah im a bit annoyed.
    aah well.

you guys dont really care about my tale of woe though ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

Very nice paper.

Text 1: Question A
    Text 2: Question B - I love Thierry Henry :D
    Essay Q7. - Growing up make believe was the toy I never got tired of playing with :D AAAAAAA!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

Rockerette wrote:
    but i could barely get 4 pages on it, somethign about the stresses young people are under.

I did that one, and barely got 3 pages, if even that! But that was because I only had 45 mins to do it, and I don't like to rush myself. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭CrimE

Rockerette wrote:
    i didnt like the essays. not at all. big pile of bollocks for me personally...

i looked at them first, and they put me in a bad mood for the rest of the exam...

usually one sticks out for me, but i could barely get 4 pages on it, somethign about the stresses young people are under.

I know exactly how you feel! I've never written such random crap in my life :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

OctavarIan wrote:
    I did that one, and barely got 3 pages, if even that! But that was because I only had 45 mins to do it, and I don't like to rush myself. :p
    Tis about the quality :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭godfather69er

Saw pretnce at thought what the **** is that twas ok paper to be honest, i wonder if any muppets did 50c for a get rich scheme, my essay was about the street gangs in nyc in the 1980 if ya have seen the warriors you'l know xcept i was smart and made my own story and gangs,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

I did text one, question B
    text 3, question A
    and the essay on get-rich ideas.

Rockerette wrote:

you guys dont really care about my tale of woe though ;)

yeah initially i though the essays where a load of tripe, then just picked the one your on about and wrote 5 pages :D

i covered money, work, alcohol, decision making, peer pressure.... all in a humourus way though, the examiner will be in bits reading it :D if they have a sense of humour, if they don't i could well get a C or something cause it might sound pretty stupid :(

anyway, i battled on through it and kept a steady head. A1 hopefully. (i wish) B2 at worst though imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Lord Oz

I wrote the get-rich essay, just hope the examiner doesn't steal my idea.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭NADA

Yeah I hoping for an a1 but a b3 minimum. It could go anyway. If I get a C I will be pissed off to be honest. That was the best English paper in a long time.

Advertisement