Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to remove a Linux distro without screwing up your MBR

• 07-06-2006 12:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭

If you are dual booting Linux with Windows there are a couple of things you have to remember when you want to remove the Linux distro from your dual boot setup.

Firstly boot up into Windows and extract the zip that is attached with this post.
    using the command prompt go to whatever folder you have put the extracted files in.. (Start -> Run -> cmd) then use cd to navigate there

when you have reached the folder type MBRFix /drive 0 fixmbr
    This will restore the old Windows bootloader on your system. Now to fully remove the Linux on your hard disk space, boot up the windows CD and delete the Linux partitions using the graphical interface.

Format them into FAT or NTFS and boot back into windows. Linux will be totally removed from your hard drive.

(Just thought this would be important incase someone went along and had problems with it)

mbrfix.zip is for the 32 bit version of windows while mbrfix64.zip is for the 64 bit version of windows

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭PhantomBeaker

Thanks. I find the mbrfix program useful... I'm planning to do some playing with grub (it'd be SO much simpler with lilo in this case, but grub has too many nice features), and this sort of utility is helpful... mainly because I can handle reinstalling stuff, but I want to leave my parents with a working version of windows at all times.

I just have one important question: Is this utility specific to any particular version of windows? I.e. is it specific to a particular service pack of windows XP, or is it universal (i.e. have you tested it with many distros of windows, or just your own?)

Thanks,
    Aoife

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

I tested it on SP2 32bit and I know that the 64bit one is for Windows XP 64bit, I'm nearly sure it should run on all 32 bit versions of windows

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 624 ✭✭✭lazygit

i have alsways just used "fdisk /mbr" then deleted the linux partitions using diskmanager in windows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

well as long as you can get it working again

Advertisement