Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

God's next Army

Options
  • 07-06-2006 12:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone see this? I didn't get to see all of it but I did see was a bit disturbing.

It was a documentry on some university in America that is focusing on creating only solicitors/politicians so that they can change the culture of America to Christian fundimentalism.

The people in the school have to follow the bible to the word and if they break the rules they are thrown out, for example even 1 alcoholic drink will get you shunned. The Geology teacher teaches using Noah as examples instead of scientific methods, and the biology teacher using creationism to explain stuff.

While its hard to say they will make a dent or not but they reckon in 20-30 years America should be a place where they have laws similar to these guys.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

Ahh, you beat me to it Hobbs. I was going to start a thread in Christianity to get their views on the subject. I always find these types of Documentaries far scarier than any horror film. It is clear that their aim is to cement the relationship between religion and state making them one of the same. It is frightening to see the influence and access to power that they have. They are basically being mass produced for the sole purpose of creating a right wing Christian state and they make no attempt to hide that fact. It is most depressing to see the rise of oppression in America, with these people clearly gaining more influence every day. I dont think it is hard to see if they will make a dent, they already made the dent are are gaining more influence and power all the time.

A state with no religious influence over its decision making does not discriminate against religion but a religious state does discriminate against everyone who does not conform to hard line Christianity. (And these people are hardline and oppressive, not moderate at all)
    I can see a mass exodus of liberal and free thinking people across the boarders to Canada and to Europe with the rise of these fundamentalists to the highest organs of power in America. They are training right wing Christians to become judges and politicians and encourage them to assume power in order to bring about a Christian state. The scary part is that they are obviously succeeding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭trillianv

And people ask me why I moved from America. Yes it's more expensive here but at least the religious people here are very proudly religious. In America, people like this will now go into political and social power positions and start making changes quietly and slowly. Before you know it, America is a conservative right wings wet dream.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭mcgarnicle

So there is some tv programme now proclaiming a Christian conspiracy to make America a fundamentalist Christian country and all you guys lap it up. How would you react if they were saying there was a Jewish conspiracy to take over America, an equally ridiculous idea only for some reason it is now cool to believe America is nothing but right wing lunatics

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭trillianv

mcgarnicle wrote:
    So there is some tv programme now proclaiming a Christian conspiracy to make America a fundamentalist Christian country and all you guys lap it up. How would you react if they were saying there was a Jewish conspiracy to take over America, an equally ridiculous idea only for some reason it is now cool to believe America is nothing but right wing lunatics

I can tell you apart from sections that are more liberal and outspoken (i.e. San Francisco, Oregon, parts of New York, etc) the country has turned more towards fundamentalist right wing ideals. Laws are being passed that are barely constitutional, yet they are "for the country's best interests" as per the politicians. It is crazy. The Patriot Act will allow them to hold any allien up to 7 days with no charge. And this often gets extended. I am American and my own government scares me...it should scare you too!

mcgarnicle wrote:
    Only it’s not a big secret conspiracy and its not based on one TV programme.Any observor of American politics would not deny the influence of the religious right. It is openly happening and is not denied. Politics in America is becoming more right wing and more religious based, this is a fact. The aim of this group is to formally make America a Christian state and they wish to be the people running that state. It is their only aim; they don't deny that they are training exclusively for the purpose of becoming leading politicians, lawyers and judges. It is not a conspiracy; it is a fact of life in America that these people are gaining more and more power with each graduation class every year with republicans taking the new graduates under their wing once they leave the college.

It might be a conspiracy if this group claimed their aims were something other than control the organs of power in the state but they don’t. They are clear about their intentions.

• Advertisement

trillianv wrote:
    I can tell you apart from sections that are more liberal and outspoken (i.e. San Francisco, Oregon, parts of New York, etc) the country has turned more towards fundamentalist right wing ideals. Laws are being passed that are barely constitutional, yet they are "for the country's best interests" as per the politicians. It is crazy. The Patriot Act will allow them to hold any allien up to 7 days with no charge. And this often gets extended. I am American and my own government scares me...it should scare you too!

Well I would imagine most countries turn to the right when they feel they are under threat or at war and whether you agree with the war or not it is clear that alot of Americans, probably the ones you are eluding to here, do agree with it. The Patriot act etc. has no Christian connotations as far as I know so I don't see how it shows an attempt to make America fundamentally Christian

clown bag wrote:
    Only it’s not a big secret conspiracy and its not based on one TV programme.Any observor of American politics would not deny the influence of the religious right. It is openly happening and is not denied. Politics in America is becoming more right wing and more religious based, this is a fact. The aim of this group is to formally make America a Christian state and they wish to be the people running that state. It is their only aim; they don't deny that they are training exclusively for the purpose of becoming leading politicians, lawyers and judges. It is not a conspiracy; it is a fact of life in America that these people are gaining more and more power with each graduation class every year with republicans taking the new graduates under their wing once they leave the college.

It might be a conspiracy if this group claimed their aims were something other than control the organs of power in the state but they don’t. They are clear about their intentions.

There is a difference between the religious right influencing politics, which it does in plenty of countries other than American most notably our own, and potentially completely taking over the government and judiciary. What you are suggesting is a conspiracy you are saying they are conspiring, through this university, to fundamentally change American culture and society. A conspiracy does not have to be secret. I'd love to see the statistics to see just how many of these graduates actually make it into politics and become judges i.e. the members of the Supreme Court are graduates of the following law schools; Harvard (5), Northwestern (1), Yale (2) Harvard/Columbia (1). How many are from this crack pot university? Looks to me like people getting into the top jobs in America get there on merit, having gone through some of the best universities in the world.
    If I say that there are some muslim schools in England does it mean that England is soon going to be run by muslim extremists?

mcgarnicle wrote:
    There is a difference between the religious right influencing politics, which it does in plenty of countries other than American most notably our own, and potentially completely taking over the government and judiciary. What you are suggesting is a conspiracy you are saying they are conspiring, through this university, to fundamentally change American culture and society. A conspiracy does not have to be secret. I'd love to see the statistics to see just how many of these graduates actually make it into politics and become judges i.e. the members of the Supreme Court are graduates of the following law schools; Harvard (5), Northwestern (1), Yale (2) Harvard/Columbia (1). How many are from this crack pot university? Looks to me like people getting into the top jobs in America get there on merit, having gone through some of the best universities in the world.
    If I say that there are some muslim schools in England does it mean that England is soon going to be run by muslim extremists?

You’re missing the whole point of this school. The mission statement of the school is exactly to completely take over the government and judiciary. That is the purpose of the school; it has no other purpose except to make America a Christian state by controlling the organs of power. The frightening thing is that the school is out performing the other colleges you mentioned and its students are actively sought by republican politicians to work for them.

Your point about Muslim schools is not relevant as those schools have not got the sole intention to train Muslims as politicians for the purpose of creating an Islamic state. Even if they were it still wouldn't be as frightening as in America at the moment as the party in power (the republicans) agree with this school and actively encourage the students to achieve their aims with the students in the college actively supporting the Republican Party and condemning the opposition. The link between the Republican Party and the Christian school is definite and strong, this is the worrying thing about the school.

clown bag wrote:
    You’re missing the whole point of this school. The mission statement of the school is exactly to completely take over the government and judiciary. That is the purpose of the school; it has no other purpose except to make America a Christian state by controlling the organs of power. The frightening thing is that the school is out performing the other colleges you mentioned and its students are actively sought by republican politicians to work for them.

Your point about Muslim schools is not relevant as those schools have not got the sole intention to train Muslims as politicians for the purpose of creating an Islamic state. Even if they were it still wouldn't be as frightening as in America at the moment as the party in power (the republicans) agree with this school and actively encourage the students to achieve their aims with the students in the college actively supporting the Republican Party and condemning the opposition. The link between the Republican Party and the Christian school is definite and strong, this is the worrying thing about the school.

So basically one tv show says x,y,z about some crack pot university and you lap it up, that was my point in the first place. Any evidence for this other than what the tv show said?

My point about the muslim schools is relevent as there are reports that some of them do encourage muslim extremism, obviously they can't do this overtly but the point is the same. How does the Republican Party actively support this school, because the tv show said they do? What is the deffinate and strong link that you mention?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

i hate when others ask this, but have you got a link?
    not to the tv show, but maybe the schools website?

i'd like to read more about this from their perspective.

• Advertisement

mcgarnicle, when you have a president who says that god is on his side in the war [strike]for oil[/strike] on terror, you can be fairly assured of his support for a right wing fundamentalist christian school.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

The funny thing about this - is that in doing this they (and sadly the rest of Amercia) will learn about evolution the hard way.

Ignoring the politics and morals it can be shown in theory (and has been shown in practice) that a capitalist free market out-produces a communist state controlled one.

Is it not also obvious (from world history) that a science driven economy, coupled with a secular state and personal freedom far out-competes a theocracy at all levels.

It would be impossible to have a the US as a theocracy with anything like the same wealth and productivity it enjoys today. So if the US wants to become a third world economy then fair enough, they can provide the migrant low-paid workers when to Asia and Africa when their economies have taken off.

julep wrote:
    mcgarnicle, when you have a president who says that god is on his side in the war [strike]for oil[/strike] on terror, you can be fairly assured of his support for a right wing fundamentalist christian school.

Why is that? America is a Christian country, like it or not. If the leader of a moderate muslim country says he is guided by god does it mean that he is sympathetic to al queda? There is a difference between being devout and being fundamentalist. While Bush may act like he is a devout Christian now all the Bush bashers know that his past activities don't really suggest he is doing any more than trying to get votes with this persona so I doubt his attempt to grab votes would extend to totally supplanting liberal democracy with religious fundamentalism

pH wrote:
    The funny thing about this - is that in doing this they (and sadly the rest of Amercia) will learn about evolution the hard way.

Ignoring the politics and morals it can be shown in theory (and has been shown in practice) that a capitalist free market out-produces a communist state controlled one.

Is it not also obvious (from world history) that a science driven economy, coupled with a secular state and personal freedom far out-competes a theocracy at all levels.

It would be impossible to have a the US as a theocracy with anything like the same wealth and productivity it enjoys today. So if the US wants to become a third world economy then fair enough, they can provide the migrant low-paid workers when to Asia and Africa when their economies have taken off.
    well the key thing there is, america is a child state.
    they don't pay attention to history.
    the only historical events taught in their schools are american ones and anything else is portrayed in a romantic light.

mcgarnicle wrote:
    Why is that? America is a Christian country, like it or not. If the leader of a moderate muslim country says he is guided by god does it mean that he is sympathetic to al queda? There is a difference between being devout and being fundamentalist. While Bush may act like he is a devout Christian now all the Bush bashers know that his past activities don't really suggest he is doing any more than trying to get votes with this persona so I doubt his attempt to grab votes would extend to totally supplanting liberal democracy with religious fundamentalism
    you kind of answered your own question there.
    yes, the majority of americans are christian and his stance does get him votes. the people behind this school have obviously picked up on this (i can't be too sure, as i only have the above posts to go on) and they too will get votes. the thing about this school is, it's agenda will only begin to bear fruit in about 20 years time.
    they can pump out lawyers and politicians all they want, but these people need to find their own way in life after college. it only takes a few of them to make it to the upper echelons of power for their plan to begin. then the nepotism (is that the right word? i can never remember) begins.
    they will undoubtedly gain support frok the bible belt states and all those other hell preaching nut balls.

I don’t think it is their intention to create a communist style government, quite the opposite. Their alliance with the republican party suggests free market neo liberal economics all the way with strict religious laws governing the population. How they compare neo-liberalism with feeding the world and helping the poor I don't know. They concentrate on reinforcing the family unit as a man and a woman with children (the woman staying at home to look after the kids)and outlawing non-Christian activities, including sex before marriage. Apparently rampant capitalism and Christian values go hand in hand.

linkys for julep - channel4 programme report

the college itself

pH wrote:

So now the American right is actually communist? If you knew your history you would see that is pretty unlikely.
    pH wrote:

Not really, any examples? I'm sure there are plenty of examples in history when this was not the case.
    pH wrote:

I actually agree that if the US was to become a theocracy that the country would collapse, the point is this is clearly a ridiculous idea and will never ever happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

mcgarnicle wrote:
    So there is some tv programme now proclaiming a Christian conspiracy to make America a fundamentalist Christian country and all you guys lap it up.

Its not a conspiracy. They were very open with what they were doing and yes thier goal is to turn America into same as thier religon. Read it here..

http://www.phc.edu/about/default.asp

If they do or not is another story.

As for crackpot school.. take a look at the trustees. They have money.

http://www.phc.edu/about/trustees/default.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

Surprised it took til Wednesday for this to appear :)

So long as the republicans are in government they will have some success in getting graduates into positions where they can start their way up the ladder, however a change of government in the US would stunt their growth.

This college will only appeal to a niche, I cant see a college which bans booze and shagging having a mass appeal.

for those with the link fetish ;)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrick_Henry_College

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Really annoyed I missed this on Monday, been looking forward to it since I heard about it, any know if their going to re-air it?

• Advertisement

Hobbes wrote:
    Its not a conspiracy. They were very open with what they were doing and yes thier goal is to turn America into same as thier religon. Read it here..

http://www.phc.edu/about/default.asp

If they do or not is another story.

A conspiracy doesn't have to be secret. I don't deny this college exists and is full of crack pot christians, my point was so what? There are crazy people every where but other people in this thread seem to be giving this university alot more respect than it deserves. Just because it exists does not mean it will succeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Cabaal wrote:
    Really annoyed I missed this on Monday, been looking forward to it since I heard about it, any know if their going to re-air it?

DOCUMENTARY: God's Next Army
    On: Channel 4 (104)
    Date: Saturday 10th June 2006
    Time: 03:50 to 04:50 (1 hour long)

Another chance to see Monday's documentary which examines how the students of Patrick Henry College have provided the current White House administration with more interns than any other college in America.
    (Repeat, Subtitles)

Excerpt taken from DigiGuide - the world's best TV guide available from http://www.getdigiguide.com/

Cabaal wrote:

I think it will be repeated this weekend sometime. Go to channel4.com and check out their schedule. I think it will be in the early hours on Friday or Saturday night. Might want to set you recorder for it. It’s usually a 3am job when they repeat stuff. There are a lot of hardline right Christian schools in America but the difference with this one seems to be their aim to eventually control government through politicising the students.

mcgarnicle wrote:
    A conspiracy doesn't have to be secret. I don't deny this college exists and is full of crack pot christians, my point was so what? There are crazy people every where but other people in this thread seem to be giving this university alot more respect than it deserves. Just because it exists does not mean it will succeed.

The fact is they are succeeding in placing students in positions of government more so than other schools. This after only a few years, if the trend continues 20 years down the line washinton will be dominated by this group ( not taking into account that the far right in the republican party are in power already which is bad enough)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Like I said this isn't just some two bit crackpot place.

Just looking at some of the bios on the trustees (that I could find easily).

Jack W. Haye - "Senior Vice President and National Manager of the Treasury Management Consulting Practice for Wells Fargo Bank."

Barbara Hodel - Husband served under Reagen as secretary of energy. Major connections with the Christian Coalition

Paul De Pree - Head of Christian Home Educators of Midland Ministry

Janet Ashcroft (Ashcrofts wife) - Served the state of Missouri as a first lady, special assistant to the Attorney General, and as general counsel for the Department of Revenue.

Kenneth L. Connor - President of Family Research Council (far right wing group).

James R. Leininger - "conservative and devoutly religious Republican businessman." Leininger is one of the biggest funders of far-right causes in Texas. During the decade 1987-1997, Leininger "spent more than $1.4 million of his personal fortune to affect how Texans vote and another $3.2 million to change how Texans think on political issues such as tort reform and private school vouchers."

John E. Urban - Retired partner of Goldman Sachs.

Also on my travels found that previous members of the school currently work under Bushes Administration.

So yes I would take them serious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

mcgarnicle wrote:

You seem to be slightly underestimating the growth and power the Christian Fundamentalist Right has in America at the moment. We are not talking about a few crack pots, we are talking about a political movement that has the votes of millions of Americans and is the most significant individual voting group within the Republican party.

There are schools like this all over America. More worrying is the attacks by the CFR on more established schools and universities, as evident with the Creationist battles of recent years in school boards up and down America.

I grant you this school is an extreme example, and with out providing its students with a proper education I doubt they will go very far. But at the same time, this is the tip of the iceberge of a much larger problem of the rise of religious fundamentalism in America at the moment.

pH wrote:
    mcgarnicle wrote:

Not really, any examples? I'm sure there are plenty of examples in history when this was not the case.
    the simplest and quickest answer is right in front of you.
    the second people got off their knees and stopped listening to the church, this country prospered.
    yes, we had outside help, but the decline in the catholic churches influence and the growing prosperity of this country is not coincidental in my opinion.

thanks for the links, clown bag. (not words i ever thought i would write)

julep wrote:
    the simplest and quickest answer is right in front of you.
    the second people got off their knees and stopped listening to the church, this country prospered.
    yes, we had outside help, but the decline in the catholic churches influence and the growing prosperity of this country is not coincidental in my opinion.

thanks for the links, clown bag. (not words i ever thought i would write)

No it is not a coincidence it's generally accepted that a growth in prosperity leads to a decline in religious ferver, not so much that a decline in religious ferver leads to growing prosperity.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

mcgarnicle wrote:
    No it is not a coincidence it's generally accepted that a growth in prosperity leads to a decline in religious ferver, not so much that a decline in religious ferver leads to growing prosperity.

Except the US is one of the wealthiest countries and it doesn't follow that decline.

• Advertisement

US = Decline in prosperity leads to increase in religious ferver. That is of course if you believe the US is swinging more to the religious extreme, which I don't

Advertisement