Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Games for use with a PC controller

Options
  • 07-06-2006 1:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭

I got a controller for my PC (logitech cordless rumblepad) as I play quite a bit of Need for Speed: Most Wanted and I like the old console emulators. Just wondering what are the best games for use with a PC that use a controller.

I know EA does quite a few sport games but i'd like to maybe get a flight sim or some other good Car games for the PC?

Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

The only games I've recently used my pc controller(xbox 360 controller technically) for are tomb raider legends, dreamfall and psychonauts. I don't play many sports or racing games so I can't recomment anything like what you mentioned, but regardless of the sports/racing game in question psychonauts is better - so go buy it and use your controller to play it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Dragging this up. Anyone got any games that work well.

I have an x360 controller and a decent machine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭Trode

The GTAs? You lose the precision mouse-shooting but you gain a whole lot in control of vehicles, especially aircraft.

Also, the actiony flight games, particularly the space ones like X-wing or Freespace. They don't need the roughly 400-odd controls a full-on realistic sim requires. Even more simple are things like Jedi Starfighter and Heroes of the Pacific.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

The only games I've recently used my pc controller(xbox 360 controller technically)

Sorry to butt in but how do I do this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

1. Buy a wired 360 controller
    2. Plug it into PC

:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

ah never thought of that ok carry on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

midnight club 1,2,, 3 ,burnout games, the 007 bond games, fps,s like quake 4,doom, that dont use jumping around motion,just straight ahead shooting,left right,,360 controller or ps2 adapter for pc gets good reviews.try medal of honour demo.theres loadsa good driving games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

gamer wrote:
    burnout games, the 007 bond games
    do you mean flatout?

and 007??? he's asking for good games here:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

TOCA Race Driver series is a favourite of mine, especially as it supports split screen with two controllers or one controller and one keyboard. Fantastic gameplay too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

While I played the Prince Of Persia series with my keyboard/mouse and loved it, I've been told its even easier with a game pad so might wana look at that series.

• Advertisement

Burnout ,1 to 4 all all brilliant driving games,360 controller is compatible with winxp pc,s.midnight club 1 to 3 is a great fun, street racing game, much better than need for speed underground.decent 2 is good space shooter if you can find it secondhand.tRY the quake 4 demo..

gamer wrote:
    Burnout ,1 to 4 all all brilliant driving games,360 controller is compatible with winxp pc,s.midnight club 1 to 3 is a great fun, street racing game, much better than need for speed underground.decent 2 is good space shooter if you can find it secondhand.tRY the quake 4 demo..
    But Burnout isn't on the PC and only Midnight Club 2 is on the PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

gamer wrote:
    midnight club 1,2,, 3 ,burnout games, the 007 bond games, fps,s like quake 4,doom, that dont use jumping around motion,just straight ahead shooting,left right,,360 controller or ps2 adapter for pc gets good reviews.try medal of honour demo.theres loadsa good driving games.

THOU SHALT NOT PLAY FPS GAMES WITH A JOYPAD!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

gamer wrote:
    fps,s like quake 4,doom, that dont use jumping around motion,just straight ahead shooting,left right,,360 controller or ps2 adapter for pc gets good reviews.try medal of honour demo.theres loadsa good driving games.

Sacrilege, nobody plays fps with a controller, and say what you like about doom, quake 4 is all about movement, esp. multiplayer. Jesus.

i prefer to use mouse/keyboard for fps games, a joypad is better for driving games,if you have to use controller theres loadsa good fps, farcry ,black, cod ,on the xbox ,original console,2 for 25 euro in GAME ,shop.pc is way better for online games like battlefield 2 ,quake 4,if you have broadband.you can leave controller plugged into pc, and just use it for driving or flying games/platform type games .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Ohh fss :rolleyes: PC nubs complaining cause they cant beat their friend in console fps....

You can play fps with a pad, infact, I challenge any of you PC heads to some cross platform gaming when it launches! I fancy handing you all yer asses on shadow run, halo2 (prolly wont happen) prey, etc...

I'm quiet handy with a controller in FPS's but there is no way in hell I could touch someone using a keyboard and mouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

Ohh fss :rolleyes: PC nubs complaining cause they cant beat their friend in console fps....

You can play fps with a pad, infact, I challenge any of you PC heads to some cross platform gaming when it launches! I fancy handing you all yer asses on shadow run, halo2 (prolly wont happen) prey, etc...

Most of those games have huge crosshairs and auto aim, try that **** online and you're going to get your ass handed to you, noob. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Perfect example is when PC players managed to crack the Dreamcasts Quake3 to allow them ot play on Dreamcast servers with their PC rig, absolutely annihilated the console players in every way possable, as their reaction were 20 times faster (turn 180 degree's in a quater second with a controller, good luck), and strafe jumping around a map is nigh on impossable on a controller too. Without auto-aim controllers cant even touch kb/mouse, as will be proven when the Windows vista arrives and lets PC gamers play with X-box360 players, oh fun will be had.

Pugsley wrote:
    Perfect example is when PC players managed to crack the Dreamcasts Quake3 to allow them ot play on Dreamcast servers with their PC rig, absolutely annihilated the console players in every way possable, as their reaction were 20 times faster (turn 180 degree's in a quater second with a controller, good luck), and strafe jumping around a map is nigh on impossable on a controller too. Without auto-aim controllers cant even touch kb/mouse, as will be proven when the Windows vista arrives and lets PC gamers play with X-box360 players, oh fun will be had.

The dreamcast had one analog stick :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

TomCo wrote:
    Most of those games have huge crosshairs and auto aim, try that **** online and you're going to get your ass handed to you, noob. ;)

noob :rolleyes: I am far from it buddy ;) I could hand many asses weather it be with a mouse/keyboard or a pad. :p

Setup CS:S or DoD to use a controller and see how far you get.

Ciaran500 wrote:
    Setup CS:S or DoD to use a controller and see how far you get.

I wasnt aware You could play css with a pad? I think I tired it before but joystick was the only option.

I've heard of people doing it, but I've no idea how to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Ok, so i got TOCA 3, excellent game btw, and it works great. Also Prince of Persia TTT is impossible without the controller. Played GTA:SA since as well and it is'nt possible to fly using the keyboard. I actually thought it was a wasted investment getting a game controller for the PC but I don't know how i'd live without it now.

Going to try and get flatout 2 and see how it goes. Is there any other decent car games for the PC? Can't wait for NFS:Carbon to be released as Most wanted has to be the best car game for the PC ever.

I know there is debate here, but seriously, there is no way you can get the accuracy of a mouse with an analogue stick. Thats why in GTA:SA they remove the autoaim feature when using the keyboard. In fact using a keyboard makes it so easy to get headshots everytime some of it just seems ridiculously easy. Like was said there are certain maneouvers (i.e the jumping-straffing-turning-aiming move) that are not possible with a controller.

Ok so I need more game titles. 3rd person games seem to do well with a controller (i.e PoP or splinter cell) so if you can recommend any others let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

L31mr0d wrote:
    Ok so I need more game titles. 3rd person games seem to do well with a controller (i.e PoP or splinter cell) so if you can recommend any others let me know.
    Dude, seroiusly, psychonauts, it's fantasticle.

Yus!

Buy Psychonauts!

all burnout games ,are great,get 1,2, as well as revenge, im playing nfs most wanted,great fun, getting chased by 5 cop cars ,build up rep, its got a nice story with beautiful cut scenes,great graphics, i find nfs underground, boring ,bland, not much of a story.midnight club 1,2,3 are great, nice atmosphere,story,take shortcuts thru buildings, explore the citys paris,the enemy driver ai on midnight club racing 1 is excellent.no 3,s abit too easy to win any race.

gamer wrote:
    all burnout games ,are great,get 1,2, as well as revenge, im playing nfs most wanted,great fun, getting chased by 5 cop cars ,build up rep, its got a nice story with beautiful cut scenes,great graphics, i find nfs underground, boring ,bland, not much of a story.midnight club 1,2,3 are great, nice atmosphere,story,take shortcuts thru buildings, explore the citys paris,the enemy driver ai on midnight club racing 1 is excellent.no 3,s abit too easy to win any race.
    For the second time, none of the Burnout games are on the PC and only Midnight Club 2 is on the PC and TBH its crappy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Ciaran500 wrote:
    For the second time, none of the Burnout games are on the PC and only Midnight Club 2 is on the PC and TBH its crappy.
    Some people just read the title and first post :)

Advertisement