Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athy and travel from and to it

Options
  • 07-06-2006 1:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭

Im thinking of moving to Athy not sure yet but seen a place I like anyway, the only other times ive been its just been travelling through, also does anyone travel from there to Dublin daily (or does the same distance) just not sure how bad its going to be, im on a bike so it will cut down on the time (aa gives 1 hour to get there) but not sure if it will knacker me out and i wont be fit to work

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭AndrewMc

I presume you mean motorbike? :) I don't know too many people here who drive up (which involves going through the N7 and Red Cow) - those who commute on a daily basis usually take the train. Whereabouts in Dublin do you need to get to?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Im thinking of moving to Athy not sure yet but seen a place I like anyway, the only other times ive been its just been travelling through, also does anyone travel from there to Dublin daily (or does the same distance) just not sure how bad its going to be, im on a bike so it will cut down on the time (aa gives 1 hour to get there) but not sure if it will knacker me out and i wont be fit to work

Athy is about 40 miles from the city centre, an hour all going well.
    The main road is the n78, which is OK, not exactly a highway though, it meets up with the M9 motorway at Kilcullen, and on to the Naas road.The new N9 dual-carriageway will link with Athy, and the N78 will be replaced by this, which will make athy even more attractive for commuters.
    Alot of people get the early morning trains (2) into Heuston, which is about 45mins, and is popular with commuters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Chunkylover

cheers, i would be going to sandyford, at the moment it takes 15 minutes from Greystones, and taking the bike is fairly cheap, any idea when the new N9 is opening up, ive seen the back ups on a friday evening heading down the n7 is it always like that and what time does it start to clear

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

I drive in from between Kilcullen and Athy every day, however I leave the house at 5.45 am. It takes me 45 mins to get to city centre (IFSC). Traffic starts to build up near Naas at around 6.30, but on the bike you should be okay. Once the N7 is finished (Sept I think) there should be no hold ups until Newlands where it will prob be nightmareish. Going home the back logs have improved as there are now only lights at Kill and none at Johnstown. Again once the N7 is finished you should be okay from Newlands all the way to Athy

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Pablod

i've just bought a house in Athy, i will also be commuting to Dublin, but fortunate enough not to the City Centre, only to Clondalkin. also will be changing my hours hopefully to suit, ( if that is possible at all), i've noticed the traffice build up latelty, its getting worse now but for the better, it gets really busy between 5:30 - 7pm because the builders are changing the lanes all the time!!!, what time would be sutiable to leave in the morning to make work in Dublin (Clondalkin) for 7:30am? any suggestions, cheers

• Advertisement
Advertisement