Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How To Draw Manga

• 07-06-2006 1:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

Hi

Im looking to learn draw manga. I cant attend classes. I was wondering if anyone new any good sites or had some advice.

Tnx

Peter

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

There's actually a series of books called How to Draw Manga by the Society for the Study of Manga Techniques. They're quite good, but the amount of titles available makes the whole process look a little daunting (you can get books specifically for animals, mechs, weapons, etc.)

Still, have a look at the first few books and work from there. I think you can get them in Forbidden Planet, but they look cheaper off play.com.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Art_Wolf

The books are great, I have several now.

We are hopeing to get some manga drawing classes actually running next year in AMS but depends if the guy is still willing to run them :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

Anyone ever read 'Even a Monkey can draw manga'?

How to draw manga, delivered manga style. Lots of humour, irreverance and whistleblowing too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 456 ✭✭Scratch Acid

sharingan wrote:
    Anyone ever read 'Even a Monkey can draw manga'?

How to draw manga, delivered manga style. Lots of humour, irreverance and whistleblowing too.

Yeah, it's not bad. Most of the parodies of the various genres are spot on. The mahjong manga parody was my favourite part I think. The whole thing gets kinda old by the end of the book, though. The artwork ain't exactly spectacular either. Worth a read I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 917 ✭✭✭carbonkid

Would of thought the best way to learn how to draw anime/manga is just sketching from mangas or print outs? Ive paused likes of naruto, eva, X and sketched from the screen but can be bit harder to get the body proportion right.

Any artist or art treachers in the past would given me a funny look if i mentioned about getting any of these how to draw books. Guess sense behind it is you need to develop your own style or something...besides those books cost loads of moneys!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

carbonkid wrote:
    Any artist or art treachers in the past would given me a funny look if i mentioned about getting any of these how to draw books. Guess sense behind it is you need to develop your own style or something...besides those books cost loads of moneys!

Well, they're certainly not a quick fix. You're not going to draw a body at some angle following the guidlines from one of those books and then be able to pull off that same pose again naturally. You need to put in the application.

I believe manga artists sketching from other people's work is fairly common. Fine if you're learning the skill, but not when you sell it off as your own!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 129 ✭✭Rei-chan

Pfft, I wouldn't bother buying those books, they're a waste of time. You can find perfectly good 'how to draw' sites online, I've seen a few that are actually better than the books.
    I learnt how to draw anime(I never really draw manga much...) from studying various anime and pictures, although I very, very, very rarely copy pictures. Here's a quick sketch I done, coloured in even quicker, taken quickly by a digital camera. It's not my best, or even close. I can do way better, and have many that are better, just need to upload 'em.
    Animals319.jpg
    <3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 peterh321

I have tried searching it but get loads of sites trying to make me pay. Can you please give me some of the links.

tnx

peter

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Graki_Khan

If you want to draw manga/anime - all you have to do is practice.

Those books are borderline rubbish for the amount of money they cost. Whats inside is cool and all but, really you don't need them if you wanna draw. They're just making money from people that dont want to put in the effort to draw, and want a quick fix.

First of all, just learn to draw, draw anything, just draw, and keep drawing. Drawing people helps. Hands whatever. Learning human anatomy helps a lot too. A lot of the time I've read manga or watched anime and you can tell that the person who designed the character had no idea of human anatomy, stylisation or whatever.

Once you've got that down a bit, I'm sure you'll develope your own style, from being influenced by your favourite anime and manga series. Fanart is fun. Character design is hard, but whatever.

Do whatever is fun, so you'll stick at it longer. The longer you stick at it the more likely you'll be able to draw like the pros.

"Any artist or art treachers in the past would given me a funny look if i mentioned about getting any of these how to draw books."

Yeah I got that a lot when I was at school too. But I say f**k them! If they're so closed minded as look down on a different style, well what kind of teachers are they really, eh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 129 ✭✭Rei-chan

Graki_Khan wrote:
    Fanart is fun. Character design is hard, but whatever.

I find character design wwwaayyy easier than fanart. Yah can use your own style, instead of other people's.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Neo Android

The only site i know is http://www.howtodrawmanga.com/ you can order the books of there, but if you go into te tut section there are sevral there on how to draw faces,bodies,etc

Sorry cant be more help

- NA

Advertisement