Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quitting WoW

Options
  • 07-06-2006 2:06pm
    Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭

This is not a moan thread really, I'm just curious about something. I've decided to quit playing this game for various reasons. How many others have quit too or are considering it? Has WoW peaked; is it now on the decline?

I suppose if I'm asking the question, I should say why I'm quitting. Basically it boils down to the fact that the game is geared towards keeping you playing and only drip feeding rewards to you for that time investment. You do a raid for 5 hours say, and most likely get nothing you want out of it. Maybe the next raid, you'll get it, if it drops, if you have the dkp etc. If you pvp, you must spend hours upon hours gaining rank. It was a game from lvl 1-60. After 60, its just a job and a con to boot, in my view. Also, typing /played scared the crap out of me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

I think the above is the reason Blizzard are releasing the expansion. New races, new level cap, new world.

I know what you mean though, I'm starting to get tired of the apparent constant upgrade of items, with no real benefit from them. Items just keep getting better and better and eventually become stupidly powerfull. Its what happened in Everquest and its the reason why people became bored of it afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

That sums up how I felt about it. It just wasn't anywhere near as much fun anymore. It was turning into a job, I already have one of those and I'm getting paid for it, no one paid me to play WoW.

I didn't enjoy PVP in WoW tbh, and PVE was just dull after a while. Same old bosses who weren't hard at that stage (even Rags), every day, build up your DKP, get some item, start building DKP again for another item, just so you can do more instances to get better items. Yawn. After a while I realised "why keep playing when it isn't fun anymore?" and turned to the stack of games I had neglected while I'd been playing WoW.

Everyone I know (personally, not here) has quit playing bar a few people that only started a few weeks/months ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Totally agree with you. I quit WoW quite some time ago simply due to the fact that I can't afford the time commitment that it requires (demands). But when a game runs on a subscription basis as most MMORPG's do, then its in the publishers interest to keep you on the drip fed for as long as possible.
    I'm developing a real dislike for games which use leveling (with eve the exception) they're a fools game really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

I'm in this exact position..

I just realised that im not even palying it anymore cos i enjoy it,

More cos it seems like i HAVE to..

I think im gonna delete account and just forget about it.

Its more like a chore than a hobby now if you know what i mean,

And i walk around in work like a zombie cos of raids lasting until 2am arguing with

assholes that i probably wont ever see IRL....

This thread has released me from the burden,

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

Do it. But be prepared for a great big gaping hole in your schedule. I think the hardest part of giving up WoW was not falling back into it out of boredom as you reconstruct the rest of your life.

Finding stuff to fill 40 hours a week worth of WoW time takes a bit of looking :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭Scuba_Scoper

I have to slightly disagree... 1 year on and I am still enjoying WoW but only if I mix it up....

Rolling a new main every couple of months but keeping my raiding priest going, questing with my son (I'm old) and being in a 'mature' guild makes for having a good laugh while still taking the game semi-seriously.

If you are farming BWL and AQ then fair play, I see your point but I still
    think 20-29 bg's are the roxxor.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I got the game soon after release and have quit twice or three times before for long periods mostly because of time constraints as i was putting too much time into it.
    Each time i missed it ,came back and slipped into the same routine of not being able to get enough.
    This time round i made a conscious decision to play short periods and not allow it to consume too much time,not easy i know but its working perfectly.

I have 4-5 chars with the highest @ 56,even though i have the game for a long time i never reached 60 and tbh im in no rush.
    I just pop on for an hour or two when i get a chance,if i dont get a chance its no big deal but when i do i just take my time and enjoy the game without a race to get to 60.
    I just mix it up a bit by playing my other chars,to me this has made the game as fresh today as the first day i ever played,as a result im thoroughly enjoying it at a leisurely pace,i rarely do instances as i cannot justify 2-3 hours,oh and i get to keep my life with my family :)
    I cant really comment on post 60 wow however.
    Maybe someday i can but im in no hurry.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Some interesting replies there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Exploring lvl 60 at the moment. Can see the obvious problems already...

Alts are a fun way of keeping it fresh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭NeoSlicerZ

quozl wrote:
    Do it. But be prepared for a great big gaping hole in your schedule. I think the hardest part of giving up WoW was not falling back into it out of boredom as you reconstruct the rest of your life.

Finding stuff to fill 40 hours a week worth of WoW time takes a bit of looking :)
    /shakes fist @ Quozl.

Tbh, if you've got a good guild, people will still play because of the community I've found, exploring new content keeps things fairly fresh too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Dev 17

I have never played WoW but maybe you guys should play another online game to fill your "gap". I play Counter Strike Source and while it gets boring sometimes it does seem to be a different leveling up. There is no limit as to how good you can really get. I mean leveling up in WoW just seems to take time. In games like Counter Strike some pick it up quicker than others. Its much more competive and is best enjoyed in short burst like clan matches whereas WoW seems to be more enjoyable but for longer hours.

Just my €0.02.:D

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Been there, done that, got banned from the CS forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Drakar

That would make a good signature.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

quozl wrote:

Thats EXACTLY what happened to me the first time i gave up the fricking game. I just found i had nothing to do on those boring mon/tues nights so i fell into the 'ill just roll an alt' trap.

This time round, i cant play cos my pc is knackered, so its more a cold turkey thing.

As has been said above, i also did the whole CS thing so going back to that is a bit....eurgh.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mad Mike

I quit about a month ago when my main character hit level 50 after playing an average of 3 hours every day for 4 months. I know this only puts me in the lame noob category of WOW addicts but this is more time than I have spent playing any other computer game. I have had very few withdrawal symptoms.
    I was just so happy to have all that time back and I finally got around to playing those games that I have been meaning to try since Christmas (Oblivion anyone?). Funnily enough the thing that I miss the most is probably the Auction house. Every other area of WOW is so tightly controlled that you can only advance at a predetermined slow rate but in the auction house a low level character with a nose for trading can become the richest player in the game.

The main reason I quit was because I resented the amount of time the game was taking and from blogs and forums I realised that it would only get worse at higher levels.

I also resented what the level 60 equipment grind does to guilds - the casual friendly guilds that people use to level up are abandoned as people vie to get into the big raiding outfits. I could already see changes happening in my own guild as the number of lvl 60s began to increase. I guess my eyes were opened when the Guild Master of the largest casual guild on our server quit to become a lowly member of one of the raiding guilds.

WOW give me a taste of Massively multiplayer gaming. I did enjoy the social aspects of the game and I would be tempted to try others. The current "timesink" model of MMORPG really doesn't suit me though. When someone comes out with a new MMORPG that is similar to the early casual levels of WOW then I may be tempted back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Liber8or

I quit WoW 2 weeks ago. I had a lvl 60 Paladin on Darksorrow and lvl 60 Mage on Quel'thalas.

Why did i choose to quit? Well allow me to elaborate...

WoW takes over your life. It really is as simple as that and every patch is a new and better "fix" to keep you pumped up on it.

With my Paladin i had a Guild that did MC/ZG/BWL etc. We killed every boss in those instances and in BWL we killed Chromaggus. But it was then i started to realise it will never end. You never get finality/closure/conclusion. It will just keep going, bigger bosses/better loot/advanced reputation. Like a snowball the more advanced in the game you get the more time you must put into it to maintain that level.

I would be in UCD 5 days a week then come home for weekends which would involve the following :

Friday Evening, ZG run. 3-4 hours in the evening.
    Saturday, catching up on what i missed during the week from being at College, e.g PvP Honour, farming materials, farming set items.
    Sunday, 12.00 MC run. 5 Hours followed by some BWL depending on how well the MC run went.

No time for anything else and attendance at these RAIDS were compulsary. Compulsary because the game demands so much of you and compulsary because if you want to see progress you had to build up DKP to get better items. Then when you spend your DKP you gotta keep raiding to get MORE DKP to get another piece of your Lawbringer Set or whatever it is...

Its as "Fat Bastard" puts it - a vicious cycle, i raid cos i need epix, i need epix cos i raid. :P

Typically as it is an MMO, the game will never end, but there is only so much Blizzard can throw to keep people happy temporarily. I cant see The Burning Crusade coming out until 2007, so i would like to see what Blizzard's strategy will be over the next few months to keep people playing.

Also, with regards the poster who said he is enjoying his WoW time by rolling a new main, is that the purpose of the game? The idea is you roll a charachter and watch his progress develop over a period of time. Unfortunately with WoW to see ACTUAL progress you must invest a lot of time into that particular charachter, how can you have time for others??

I dont discredit the game, i did play it since it went Live in Europe but due to its simplicity and large fanbase this game has become an addiction to millions of people. Im going back to the games where you play it, get immersed, have fun and get a conclusion...

P.S I ****ing hate Gnomes! They are rat-faced ****ers who have only one aspiration in life : to become a footstool!
    This outburst of racism may come from the fact that 99% of Gnomes i came across were 12 year old kids who just dont stfu!

Good gaming! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭Scuba_Scoper

Liber8or wrote:
    Why did i choose to quit? Well allow me to elaborate...

WoW takes over your life. It really is as simple as that and every patch is a new and better "fix" to keep you pumped up on it.
    Also, with regards the poster who said he is enjoying his WoW time by rolling a new main, is that the purpose of the game? The idea is you roll a charachter and watch his progress develop over a period of time. Unfortunately with WoW to see ACTUAL progress you must invest a lot of time into that particular charachter, how can you have time for others??

Because I don't take the game as seriously as you did. :)
    For me it is a game. A way to relax after work.. If I don't play - I don't get the DT's. However, some nights I will play from 10pm-4am just to get that last bar complete :)

More epix is the addiction. Playing a couple of chars can rid yourself of the addiction while still having fun with pug's and other noobs.(like myself)

Then again, I will gladly do MC on my "main" main and will /cheer when anyone else gets there 'fix' for the weekend and 250 dkp.

ps Play later at night - 12 yr old gnomes go to bed at 10pm server time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

I quit for nearly a year and a half. Had almost played since release before that and was investing a stupid amount of time to the game. I started playing it again in the middle of last month, again invested a lot of time but this time I got bored easily. Everyone's L60, there's no-one for me to quest with unless I manage to get myself into a half decent guild.

My main issue with the game is, I really love co-operative play. It's why I play these games, but unless you find a good guild the majority of your pick up groups with have at least one, if not many, idiots in it who either can't play, can't speak the language and thus can't co-ordinate with the party or are some muppet teen who thinks he's playing CS or a single player game and doesn't understand what co-operative play means or that he shouldn't roll on BoP items he cannot use or rolls need constantly.

I end up spending most of my time grinding away quite happily, but that gets real boring real quick so you end up grinding things 3-5 levels above you so at least there's some chance you can die but with the way the game is set up at the moment, unless you are a co-op player you are screwed. Soloing instances of higher level than you to get your set or weapon isn't exactly feasible. You're basically gimped if you don't have a good raiding guild.

I like the game but I'm really not sure if it's worth my while getting back into. Sure I could easily and quickly grind to 60 and probably get into a decent guild using my charm wit and rugged good looks but tbh I'm not sure if I could be bothered. Perfecting grinding patterns was fun to begin with but once I'd sorted out my macros it was basically mark, send pet in, macro, macro, macro, oh I've gotten aggro, macro, run away, intimidate with pet, macro, macro, macro. It's when that works on things that should eat you easily (6 levels above ffs) that it gets boring. The only thing that amuses me atm is pulling multiple mobs of higher level and trying to find a challenge that way. Then once you get used to that you start looking for elites higher level than you and by that stage you know you're past the point of the game being fun.

The only that actually interests me atm is playing the AH. I like economics and making a fortune buying and selling goods on there appeals to me but it's too easy. It's an inflated server so people just seem to click buyout on whatever is the cheapest when they check the AH. Not exactly a challenge.

Bah, humbug and such.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

/signed

Though, having gotten to 60 (which was horrible, I basically spent a full week of all my WoW time grinding undead in Western Plaguelands) its alot better with the end game content. Not having xp as a primary focus is very satisfying and the end game raids are just great fun, if a little chaotic, at times.

I'm sure this feeling will pass and I'll get bored again, but thats to be expected. I just want to experience all of the end game raids before I get to that stage and then I'll happily quit wow, for the last time.

Advertisement