Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting the Keys of New house

Options
  • 07-06-2006 2:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭

Im moving into a new house (renting) on 1st July. I am going up to pay my deposit tonight and then 1st months rent is due on the 01/07. The landlord is moving out this weekend but wont hand over the keys until the 1st.

I wanted to have the keys a couple of days before so we can move in gradually rather than have a nightmare weekend of it. Is this reasonable? The house will be empty anyway and we wil have paid 1200 deposit from today

Any advice from landlord/tenant. Is it the norm not to have access until the day the rent is due??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

if you are only paying rent from the first you wouldn't normally have any access before that....

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭aniascor

Why don't you ask if you can pay an extra day or two of rent if you want the place a few days earlier? I have done that in a couple of places, and it has worked out well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

Unless the landlord is a complete pr1ck then there shouldn't be any problems with giving you the keys a day or two early.

Why would there be?? The house will be empty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭Dreamer 7

Ballyman wrote:
    Unless the landlord is a complete pr1ck then there shouldn't be any problems with giving you the keys a day or two early.

Why would there be?? The house will be empty.
    My point exactly, well im off up there tonight , I will ask again although he didnt seem keen before, if he wont allow me to I will post date the deposit cheque to the 1st July, if he wants to play mean so can I :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Dreamer 7 wrote:
    My point exactly, well im off up there tonight , I will ask again although he didnt seem keen before, if he wont allow me to I will post date the deposit cheque to the 1st July, if he wants to play mean so can I :)
    nothing like the 2 of you getting off on the right foot....

p.s he's being a dick

• Advertisement

Well ive signed it now and i did post date the cheque , he was none to impressed ha, one up for me! Anywho he is leaving the country next week so fingers crossed we will be left in peace

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭aniascor

Is your landlord resident in the country? (Or he is just leaving on holidays?)
    Taken from http://www.let.ie/articles/revenue.asp
    What if Rents are payable to a non-resident landlord?

If a landlord resides outside the country and rent is paid directly to him/her or to his/her bank account either in the State or abroad. tax must be deducted by the tenant at the standard rate of tax (currently 20%) from the gross rents payable. Failure to deduct tax leaves the tenant liable for the tax that should have been deducted.

Example:

Gross rent per month €1000

Deduct tax (I 000 x 20%) €200

Pay to Landlord (1000-200) €800

The tenant must also give a Form R185* to the landlord to show that the tax has been accounted for to Revenue.

Where an agent. resident in the State is appointed by the non-resident landlord to manage the property and the agent is collecting the rents, the rents must be paid gross to the agent. The agent is then chargeable to tax on the rents as Collection Agent for the landtord and is required to submit an annual tax return and account for the tax due under Self Assessment. leafler IT10 Guide to Self Assessment- provides more detailed information.

Note: The agent appointed need not be a professional person, i.e., it can be a family member or other person prepared to take on the responsibility and undertakes to make annual tax returns and account to Revenue for the tax due.

* (Available from www.revenue.ie, Revenue's Forms and leaflets Service at

LoCall 1890 306706 or your local Revenue office)

Be careful that you don't end up liable for tax on rent paid.

Oh f**k better look into that one, he is moving to England for work Arghhhhh!

Advertisement