Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Park Exam Results.... so... how did you do?

• 07-06-2006 2:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭

So the results are out... how did everyone do?

I did ok, got over 60 in most things but I failed Ear Training:mad: I have to repeat it at the end of the summer:-(
    But once I pass it I'm in to 2nd year:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Fusion251

Ya failed ear training?? Aren't you a singer?? Wonder is it different to my ear training? Did you have to hear intervals & chords? Melodic Minor chords? Jazz progression etc?

One thing I did if I had trouble with chords is create a rhythmic vamp on the owl piano just using the one chord...sometime I'd write a bass line around it or even a melody, depends on the chord really...maj7#11 & susb9 were always favourites of mine :)

Fusion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Velvet Vocals

yes I'm a singer! We're allowed to have ear training probs too you know:rolleyes:
    No actually I think it was just that I didn't put in even half the work I should have on it, I found it hard at the beginning so instead of working on it I avoided it (clever!) but I've been working on it really hard over the last week and even now I can recognise chords that I couldn't before:) I'm such a spanner! If only I'd done this before the exams! But it is easier when I only have to worry about one subject.
    I know what you mean about maj7#11 & susb9.... another one of my fav's is 7#9....good ol Jimmy Hendrix:)
    Thanks for the tip about playing the vamp, I'll give it a go.

The Jimmy chord, yeah well I'm a guitarist so that was never an issue! Do you have Earmaster? That's pretty good for intervals, found it a bit dodgy for chords, midi piano isn't my favourite sound in the world...
    Actually now that I think of it, some of the singers in my ear had a few problems with Ear training so don't worry about it...yizzir'll be grand in all in anyways!

Fusion

Actually I think ear master was part of my problem, I used it too much rather then just sitting at the piano and playing chords and getting the real feel for them.
    Intervals and modes are fine for me, I'd say they are what got me the mark that I did get, it's chords and 3 note dictation that I find the hardest closely followed by rhythmic dictation... but actually rhythmic isn't that bad either... it's really the chords that let me down and they had the most marks. I think that maybe singers might find it ear training harder if they don't play an instrument and aren't used to voicing and hearing something on a regular basis. At least that's the case for me anyway. So the last week or so I've been playing chords on the piano in a few different voicings and stuff and I recoded them on my mp3 thing and I've been listening to them in work....(I temp and I do nothing all day, it's great I study all I want) so hopefully by the repeat I'll be ok.

Who are you by the way.... :) Feel free not to tell of course, I just wanted to put a face to the name

I am the great Fusion251!!!

Don't think you know me though, I finished Newpark last year :)

Fusion

• Advertisement

Oh right. No worries. Thanks for the advice anyway!

No probs!!

Anything to get me through a boring day at work :)

Fusion

I know how that feels:rolleyes:

Advertisement