Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wok concern

• 07-06-2006 2:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

Have bought a cheap wok (5 Euro), now I'm a bit concerned about the risk of the surface becoming eroded, i.e tiny particles of metal coming off the wok and gettinginto the food. I suppose if there is any risk, then the same risk is associated with frying pans, pots etc, which I never worry about. It's just the fact that it was so cheap (although it seems decent quality), I'm a bit hesitant to use it. Would a more expensive wok from the department stores come with some sort of safety guarantee/quality mark? Or is it just take your chances?

Thanks in advance folks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭kmoon

the wok is apparently steel but does anyone know what these "non-stick" coatings are usually made of? It's the thought of this non-stick coatinf flaking off into the food that is worrying me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

Personally I'd go into the Oriental Emporium on Jervis St. and pick up a proper wok, I think they cost 12 euro or suchlike in there.

I dont think that the non-stick coating will come off on the one you have there now or at least not a lot more than other things do.

I had pots with non-stick coating on them and they got a bit scraped in parts despite using wood on them, no one has died so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

kmoon wrote:
    the wok is apparently steel but does anyone know what these "non-stick" coatings are usually made of? It's the thought of this non-stick coatinf flaking off into the food that is worrying me

It's usually Teflon.

http://www2.dupont.com/PFOA/en_US/about_teflon/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Get a steel one and temper it by cooking some vegetable oil (preferably not olive) at a high temperature in it, then letting it cool and wiping it out with kitchen paper. Then you can wok around the clock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

The whole idea with woks is that you use huge temps and flash fry food, with as much noise and scraping sound as you can manage.
    This is no place for the genteel non-stick wok which is more suited to a leisurely fry on a sunday morning.
    Get a cheap wok with a wooden handle and normal steel finish, and season it as luckat suggests above, oh and don't wash it just give a quick rinse with water and reseason or it will rust on ya.The black stuff that builds up on the outside is character leave it there for street cred;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

There's actually a difference between wiping the wok with oil and seasoning the wok.

If you heat oil in a wok and then wipe the hot oil, with lots of kitchen paper, around the interior, you'll protect it from rust and that's a perfectly good piece of wok maintenance.

If you spend a goodly amount of time burning oil onto the inside of the wok so that it creates a hard, black laquer that makes a non-stick finish, that's seasoning a wok. Takes ages. And sets the fire alarm off in my flat, more often than not...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

I used to season mine with salt rather than oil, is it as effective as oil seasoning, or should I be giving that a go?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

No idea in this corner, I've never used salt. When I use oil, I literally burn it around the wok - the oil turns a dirty colour, there's lots of tugging the wok on and off the ring, and this laquer begins to build in the base. If you have a moment of "God almighty have I just burned the arse out of the pan?!!" you're doing it right.

If you have a moment of "God almight... I have just burned the arse out of the pan", you've gone too far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 267 ✭✭AdrianR

It's usually Teflon

It usually is allright. I personally wouldn't buy anything with teflon non stick coating if i can help it, it doesn't last and when it does start to come off the pan or wok or whatever it shouldn't be used any more as it has been suggested that it's carcinogenic (spelling?) if ingested. Buy a prober carbon steel wok and remember to rub oil on it after use, don't worry about heating the oil first I find it works fine cold, this is for day to day use, you will have to temper it before use as described by Minesajackdaniels above, there should be instructions with it for doing this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

Shabadu wrote:
    I used to season mine with salt rather than oil, is it as effective as oil seasoning, or should I be giving that a go?

My understanding of it was always that salt was to clean the pan when it needs to be reseasoned, the salt picks up all the old grease and dirt off the pan. After doing the salt then I would season it with oil. I may be wrong, but I do remember seeing salt used in one of the restaurants I worked in, but in that place I was a waiter.

This may be wrong, but it was my understanding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Blub2k4 wrote:
    My understanding of it was always that salt was to clean the pan when it needs to be reseasoned, the salt picks up all the old grease and dirt off the pan. After doing the salt then I would season it with oil.
    I think you're right. After all, in the "olden days", before detergents were invented, a common (and surprisingly effective) way to clean pans was to use a paste of salt and lemon juice rubbed into the pan. Sometimes sand was added if the pan was extra dirty as an extra scouring agent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Accidentally bought a new frying pan a couple of months ago (don't ask!) turned out to be the best I have ever bought. It's non-stick but instead of teflon it has titanium on the surface, made by a German company called Pro Cook comes with a 25 year guarantee! (but I've lost the receipt already)
    It's incredible, you can dry fry most things in it, no oil or fat needed. And it's the easiest thing in the world to wash. It's got a big heavy base so it takes a while to heat up, but when it does it's got an nice even temp. all over.
    I don't know if you can get them here, I purchased on a trip to an outlet store in Ashford Kent, it was very pricey £44 about €65 in real money, but then again it looks like I won't be needing another one for about 24 3/4 years!

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,441 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

That one like the one on here or here?

Some great claims there, no matter what pan I get with a non stick coating I've found after a couple of years thats its wairing off even using plastic spatulas - you see NO sign of wear on yours ?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

My one is the 28cm frying pan Longfield. Got it at Easter and there are absolutely no signs of wear on it! Would recommend it without question. Your link is to the same company I purchased from in Ashford!

invest4deepvalue.com

Advertisement