Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netopia Router not working with Smart!!

Options
  • 07-06-2006 2:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

Hi all,

We have just signed up for smart and have got the connection working fine with their own router.

When we signed up they said there'd be no problem using the Netopia router.

Now when i try to get this working using Smart's settings I cant connect no matter what i do..

Tech support dont want to know about it as its not a supported modem..

Thing is we need the wireless router to work as we are sharing the connection around the appartment..

Is there any way out of this.. as far as i can see there are 2 options

a. Use the Netopia router and aolynk modem as some sort of 'bridged connection'
    b. Buy some sort of wireless bridge adaptor that i can plug into the Aolynk modem to broadcast a wireless connection

Does anyone know how to do either of the above?

Your help would be much appreciated...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭TimTim

Set up the Aolynk as usual

Login to the netopia and turn off dhcp.

Plug netopia into Aolynk with a network cable. Problem solved, able to use wireless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 anonymous2004

TimTim wrote:
    Set up the Aolynk as usual

Login to the netopia and turn off dhcp.

Plug netopia into Aolynk with a network cable. Problem solved, able to use wireless.

Ok, that's great, do i not have to setup bridging also as per this post...

http://support.smarttelecom.ie/forums/showthread.php?t=226&highlight=netopia+bridging

Thx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 anonymous2004

Ok, that's great, do i not have to setup bridging also as per this post...

http://support.smarttelecom.ie/forums/showthread.php?t=226&highlight=netopia+bridging

Thx

Also i've just found this product
    http://www.peats.com/cgi-bin/shop/db.cgi?view=1&id=8977&type=6&sid=1394078x0

Would this solve the problem, i.e i plug wireless access point into wired router and wireless access point beams wireless net access to our multiple pcs?

OR do i need a wireless router? (Already have a wired combi router / dsl modem)

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

Also i've just found this product
    http://www.peats.com/cgi-bin/shop/db.cgi?view=1&id=8977&type=6&sid=1394078x0

Would this solve the problem, i.e i plug wireless access point into wired router and wireless access point beams wireless net access to our multiple pcs?

OR do i need a wireless router? (Already have a wired combi router / dsl modem)

Thanks.
    TimTims suggestion basically just uses the Netopia as a Wireless Access Point. If you plug the Aolynk into one of the Netopias LAN ports, any traffic on any of the other Netopia Ports wil be able to talk to the Aolynk. If you disable the DHCP server on the Netopia, then all machines on the network (including the wireless ones) will get their DHCP response from the Aolynk.

The only conflict that you need to check for is that the Aolynk and the Netopia don't both default to the same IP address.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Is the Netopia you are trying to use a combined adsl modem and router? If so surely then that will not work with another adsl modem router which is what the aolynk is?

If the Netopia is a combined adsl modem/router then it might be worth asking on the smart support group if anyone there has succeeded in getting it to work on Smart.

• Advertisement

dub45 wrote:
    Is the Netopia you are trying to use a combined adsl modem and router? If so surely then that will not work with another adsl modem router which is what the aolynk is?
    The suggested configuration doesn't use the "modem" part of the Netopia. By plugging the Aolynk into a LAN port on the Netopia, and leaving the WAN or Modem port empty, you're just using the builtin 4-port switch and wireless capabilities of the Netopia. If you're starting from scratch, it'd be cheaper to just by an Access Point, but of you already have the Netopia, then you can use it - you're not using it as a router, just as a switch and access point. Any firewall/NAT/portforwarding settings will be managed by the Aolynk, not the Netopia.

Foxwood wrote:
    The suggested configuration doesn't use the "modem" part of the Netopia. By plugging the Aolynk into a LAN port on the Netopia, and leaving the WAN or Modem port empty, you're just using the builtin 4-port switch and wireless capabilities of the Netopia. If you're starting from scratch, it'd be cheaper to just by an Access Point, but of you already have the Netopia, then you can use it - you're not using it as a router, just as a switch and access point. Any firewall/NAT/portforwarding settings will be managed by the Aolynk, not the Netopia.

Surely though a combined adsl router will be geared to look for the bb signal from the internal dsl modem and not the ethernet ports? After all there will be no wan/modem port on a combined unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

There is another recent thread about this here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054940982
    For some reason it doesn't work with Smart BB.

dub45 wrote:
    Surely though a combined adsl router will be geared to look for the bb signal from the internal dsl modem and not the ethernet ports? After all there will be no wan/modem port on a combined unit.
    The suggestion involves using it as a switch, not a router - there's nothing plugged into the WAN port at all.

Say the AOLynk has an IP address of 192.168.0.1, the Netopia has an IP address of 192.168.0.2 and a wireless laptop has 192.168.0.101. A packet from the laptop addressed to 192.168.0.1 will be sent out the LAN port that the Aolynk is plugged into, just as traffic between the laptop and a PC plugged into a wired port would be.

I am doing devil's advocate here I have to admit:) but I have seen guys here asking about using the all in one with another modem before and it just never seems to work - surely if it was that easy guys would be able to get it going no problem? Surely if it was to work you would need to be able to disable the modem part so that the router function would not be looking to it for the signal?

• Advertisement

dub45 wrote:
    I am doing devil's advocate here I have to admit:) but I have seen guys here asking about using the all in one with another modem before and it just never seems to work - surely if it was that easy guys would be able to get it going no problem? Surely if it was to work you would need to be able to disable the modem part so that the router function would not be looking to it for the signal?
    If your phoneline goes out, do you think your LAN will stop working?

You're not routing anything through the Netopia (routing involves going from one address range to a different address range). You're just switching traffic between ports on the LAN.

As for "it never seems to work" - the thread kaizersoze points to involves two suggestions - using the netopia as a "switch" with the Aolynk, and using it to replace the Aolynk. The "it didn't work" reponse refers to the replacement suggestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Foxwood wrote:

You're not routing anything through the Netopia (routing involves going from one address range to a different address range). You're just switching traffic between ports on the LAN.

As for "it never seems to work" - the thread kaizersoze points to involves two suggestions - using the netopia as a "switch" with the Aolynk, and using it to replace the Aolynk. The "it didn't work" reponse refers to the replacement suggestion.
    Correct, although I cant see why it wouldn't work as a direct replacement.

Foxwood wrote:

I wasnt referring to that particular thread - this is a regular question on here and I was just pointing out that it never seems to work!

dub45 wrote:
    I wasnt referring to that particular thread - this is a regular question on here and I was just pointing out that it never seems to work!
    There's lots of questions on here about stuff that people can't get to work - it's usually because they don't know what they're doing, and often because they can't follow simple instructions (Of course I'm talking about the simple instructions that come with the product, not the half arsed suggestions they read here :) )

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Maybe the software that Eircom flash onto the Netopia has something to do with it not working on Smart BB?

Though I dunno if the Eircom firmware can be removed from the Netopia. It refuses to flash firmware from Netopia site.

byte wrote:
    Maybe the software that Eircom flash onto the Netopia has something to do with it not working on Smart BB?

Though I dunno if the Eircom firmware can be removed from the Netopia. It refuses to flash firmware from Netopia site.
    You don't need to update the firmware if you just use the Netopia as a Wireless access point in conjunction with the Aolynk modem/router.

byte

Yup, I think that's what I will do. Easiest solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭TimTim

If you are willing to try, see if there is an option to backup your configuration.

Go ahead and do that, open it up in notepad and see if its readable, if it is look for the username and password eircom/broadband1. Change it to your Smart details, save and restore a backup.

(don't blame me if something catches on fire and burn your house down as a result or anything like that)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭darkmaster2

I picked up a netopia 3347nwg a few days ago and no luck with Smart either. I did a bit of googling and found a patch here, about halfway down the page.

http://www.cw.ky/internet/products/broadband-services/ADSL/FAQs.php#76603

Near the end of the patch config, select g.lite (or something like that) and that should make your 3347nwg (or maybe other netopias) connect to Smart. Worked for me anyways! :D

byte

Thanks for that darkmaster2. I must look into that! :)

I assume you're referring to "Download the Netopia DSL Config Wizard with WiFi patch"?

• Advertisement

byte wrote:
    Thanks for that darkmaster2. I must look into that! :)

I assume you're referring to "Download the Netopia DSL Config Wizard with WiFi patch"?

Yup, thats the one. It just goes through a few steps and reboots the router. Seems to work fine on Smart after

• Registered Users Posts: 6,735 ✭✭✭zg3409

I followed the link to the site
    www.cw.ky and I got a virus warning for the file.

I would recommend people NOT download the file and run it on their router

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Think they might have got this sorted.... Three years ago!

Yeah, the link I posted doesn`t work anymore anyway.

ps. it wasn`t a virus :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement