Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carphone Warehouse problems

Options
  • 07-06-2006 2:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced very poor customer service with the Carphone warehouse? I recently was pressured into buying a brand of phone I didn't want (I wanted a Nokia) with a verbal agreement that I could change it if I didn't like it, when I went to change it the next day (it was unused) for a phone of equal value they refused. I'm pretty annoyed as it is not what I want and I cannot understand why they would not want to ensure their customer is satisfied.

Anyone else have a similar problem like this and interested in having their say?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

i had great service off them, tbh I'm not sure how what you described is bad service. you bought something you then decided you didn't want, they are perfectly within their rights to refuse to change it.

maybe try again though, you may get someone different who will change it for you..

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Did they threaten to kill your pet? Were they holding a gun to your head?

You got suckered into purchasing something you didn't really want. This is what a good sales jerk does. If the box is unopened and phone unused, and you have a receipt - try again. However, I'd recommend bringing someone bigger and bossier than yourself - you're probably too soft.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Consumer1

daveym wrote:
    i had great service off them, tbh I'm not sure how what you described is bad service. you bought something you then decided you didn't want, they are perfectly within their rights to refuse to change it.

maybe try again though, you may get someone different who will change it for you..

Yes, I know that is legally the case, but in any other shop they would try to keep the consumer happy and being told if the phone wasn't what I wanted I could bring it back would imply a refund is available, so was pretty surprised they had no desire to help me out.
    I now have 200 euro phone that I am just not going to use!

Tried ringing head office and they were spectacularly disinterested! It wouldn't cost them anything to switch it for me and would have made me happy.

Karoma wrote:
    Did they threaten to kill your pet? Were they holding a gun to your head?

You got suckered into purchasing something you didn't really want. This is what a good sales jerk does. If the box is unopened and phone unused, and you have a receipt - try again. However, I'd recommend bringing someone bigger and bossier than yourself - you're probably too soft.

WEll that's not very nice, I was looking for some help/advice not sarcasm!!

Yeah, I know, stupid sleazy salesman totally got me, THEY opended the box in the shop before I had the chance to say not to so now they don't have to change it. I was pretty forceful but to no avail.

However, am a journalist so have just written an article naming and shaming!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Consumer1 wrote:
    WEll that's not very nice, I was looking for some help/advice not sarcasm!!

-v-
    Anyone else have a similar problem like this and interested in having their say?
    However, am a journalist so have just written an article naming and shaming!

Really? Help/advice? Sounds more like you're digging for more dirt and trying to name and shame some more.

The advice offered is all I can give, other than "go to citizens advice bureau et. al." and see what they say.

• Advertisement

Karoma wrote:
    -v-

Really? Help/advice? Sounds more like you're digging for more dirt and trying to name and shame some more.

The advice offered is all I can give, other than "go to citizens advice bureau et. al." and see what they say.

No, I just want a phone that I can use, thats all. Nothing extra, no major special treatment, just a satisfactory purchase. But I feel they could have been a bit more helpful. Name and shame was the wrong terminology to use, I was being facetious, but I do want to have my point heard I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Slinky>

I used to work for them, When I was there and as far as I know it hasnt changed, there is huge incentive to sell certain phones on high tarrifs, It can mean the difference to a 'sales consultant' earning €1 or €30 on a sale, and possibly being disciplined for having poor sales.

There was various other incentives where you can win holidays or luxury goods by selling certain brands or certain tarrif's which encourages sales consultants to push them regardless of the customers needs/wants,

You could go from minimum wage to 30-40k PA if you were clever in what you sold,

I remember they had to bump of the basic salary when minimum wage came in so you can imagine anyone with mortgages ect. . has a big incentive to sell.

I meant to ad that on the back of the receipt they used to have a thing where you had 14 days to change your mind and most of the networks have this 14 day cooling off period, <this may be a legal obligation worth checking>

Slinky> wrote:
    I used to work for them, When I was there and as far as I know it hasnt changed, there is huge incentive to sell certain phones on high tarrifs, It can mean the difference to a 'sales consultant' earning €1 or €30 on a sale, and possibly being disciplined for having poor sales.

There was various other incentives where you can win holidays or luxury goods by selling certain brands or certain tarrif's which encourages sales consultants to push them regardless of the customers needs/wants,

You could go from minimum wage to 30-40k PA if you were clever in what you sold,

I remember they had to bump of the basic salary when minimum wage came in so you can imagine anyone with mortgages ect. . has a big incentive to sell.

That does make sense, because I was wondering why they pushed me to this certain phone when the one I really wanted was only 30 euro cheaper and I was going to buy a car charger with that one too!

Just checked receipt and there is nothing about a cooling off period, thanks for the advice though. So annoyed with this stupid phone!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

What do you mean when you enquire as to people having their say? Who are you working for? Is this some sort of an attempt at "investigative journalism" on the cheap?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Hobart wrote:
    What do you mean when you enquire as to people having their say? Who are you working for? Is this some sort of an attempt at "investigative journalism" on the cheap?

I believe that's exactly what it is. I've already reported the post.
    This sort of muck raking could end up leaving boards.ie as a source and being quoted in the gutter press.
    We need that like a hole in the head.

Hagar wrote:
    This sort of muck raking could end up leaving boards.ie as a source and being quoted in the gutter press.

Relax! Talk about conspiracy theory!

There is no muck raking, just a dissatisfied customer voicing their opinion, there's no need to get your knickers in a twist!

Hagar wrote:

Im prepared to sell my story for €50k and a 2 page splash of me in a Bikini, Obviously i get described as steamy at least 14 times in the article,

Back to topic Consumer, You should give the network a quick call and ask them about cooling off periods, I remember cancelling a few contracts years ago during the cooling off period, If all else fails the MD's email address is in the catalouge maybe his PA will sort it he's a decent guy,

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Consumer1 wrote:
    Relax! Talk about conspiracy theory!

There is no muck raking, just a dissatisfied customer voicing their opinion, there's no need to get your knickers in a twist!
    Well we like to protect our community around here, so its best to be careful.

As a matter of interest, which came first the story or the new phone, or was the latter a result of the former?

Slinky> wrote:
    Im prepared to sell my story for €50k and a 2 page splash of me in a Bikini, Obviously i get described as steamy at least 14 times in the article,

Back to topic Consumer, You should give the network a quick call and ask them about cooling off periods, I remember cancelling a few contracts years ago during the cooling off period, If all else fails the MD's email address is in the catalouge maybe his PA will sort it he's a decent guy,

Thank god for well rounded NORMAL corresponders like you Slinky!
    Yes, will also reveal your diet and beauty secrets in the article...but please, call me by my real name...Mr. Clifford.

It was a new handset I bought keeping the same contract so don't think I'm entitled to a refund. Just spoke to customer services manager and she said there policy is no returns or exchanges and she will not deviate from it.

When I remined her of the company's princicples (copied and pasted below)
    She said policy comes first!

"At Carphone Warehouse everything we do is based around you, our customer. With this in mind we have five fundamental rules that we aim to live by:

If we don’t look after a customer somebody else will.
    Nothing is gained by winning an argument but losing a customer.
    Always deliver what we promise. If in doubt under promise and over deliver.
    Always treat our customers as we ourselves would like to be treated.
    The reputation of the company is in the hands of each and every individual."

Seems like they are all talk and not willing to commit to their principles.

Also spoke to the MD's PA who repreated that they will not deviate from policy.Am really annoyed now, they really don't have any intention of satisfying their customers unless it prescribes to their policy.

Don't suppose you wanna buy a sony ericsson K7501????

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Consumer1 wrote:
    Hi,

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced very poor customer service with the Carphone warehouse? I recently was pressured into buying a brand of phone I didn't want (I wanted a Nokia) with a verbal agreement that I could change it if I didn't like it, when I went to change it the next day (it was unused) for a phone of equal value they refused. I'm pretty annoyed as it is not what I want and I cannot understand why they would not want to ensure their customer is satisfied.

while at this stage you are clearly a disgruntled customer, and youa re not happy withthe choice you made, the fact of the matter is that YOU made a choice.

at any point in the proceedings, YOU could have said no, thats not what i want.

at any point, YOU could have not handed over your CC details.

at any point, YOU could have said im not going to do this.

You made a choice.
    you handed over your details
    you sat there whlie they asked you for your details
    you accepted the phone and the contract
    you were no doubt given the contract to read before you signed it
    you signed the contract.

im interested to learn why you decided that this was not the phone for you?

i mean, if im going to part with that much money for something that is really just an accessory, then i always do my own research, and i know exactly what i want.
    at what point did you decided that what you had was not what you wanted, and why?
    consumer1 wrote:
    No, I just want a phone that I can use

what do you mean?

are you unable to make phone calls or send texts? is your own inability to navigate the layout, or is it actually a device that does not have telecommunications abilities?

why didnt you realise that it didnt have the features that you wanted before you bought it.

i mean, if i want a chair to sit on, i dont buy a wardrobe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

hopefully this reply will be helpful. Was this a phone with a monthly bill? If so conatct the phone company and tell them what happened and that you will be cancelling the direct debit if you dont get satisfaction. That should push carphone warehouse into sorting you out. AFAIK mobile phone contracts have a cooling off period.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,104 ✭✭✭✭muffler

It seems to me that you bought your phone and sometime later you decided you didn't like it so you decided to ask for a different one. They did not accede to your request Mr Clifford so you being the journalist decide to get a bit of revenge by "naming and shaming".

Not content with the notion of writing an article in whatever mag or paper you come here with a post asking "Anyone else have a similar problem like this and interested in having their say?". it is quite obvious what your intentions are.

This forum is for consumer affairs and if you had asked what your consumer rights were then I assume that you would have got a lot of detailed replies. I didn't see the need to name the company involved in your very first post and in my opinion you are merely conducting a form of market reasearch which is simply not on

i have to say I am finding it hard to believe that the people at CPW said anything like what 'consumer' is saying above. It sounds made up to me.

I got the same k750i off them (which is one of best phones around as most people know), had an issue with it and they replaced it with a brand new one there and then one day outside of their 14 day return period, which they didn't have to, they could have left me waiting for the phone to be repaired.

couldn't be happier with how they treated me and as the only real independent company selling phones who will give decent impartial advice about which tariff to go with I don't like to see unsubstantiated claims on here.

Post who you talked to by name, what shop you were in etc etc, then at least we can confirm your 'facts' (or not as the case may be)

Oh and this is the policy off the UK site, if you are really a 'consumer' with an issue, quote this to them and you should be fine:

7 - day right to cancel* (phone or website purchase only)

As you will not have had the opportunity to examine your product before purchasing it, you are entitled to cancel your agreement with us under the Consumer Protection (Distance Selling) Regulations 2000. If you notify us within 7 working days from the day after receiving the product (the "Trial Period") we will provide you with a full refund.

If you have purchased a handset upgrade and are continuing with your existing airtime contract, you will not be entitled to cancel your airtime contract. See our return or exchange process below.

14 - day exchange+* (not applicable to e2save and One Stop Phone Shop customers)

If within 14 days of purchasing your product you are not entirely satisfied, we will be happy to exchange your product, where permitted, provided your return it to us within 14 days of receiving it.

See our return or exchange process below.

Exclusions to this policy

Handset only (SIM free)
    Hands-free units with earpieces that have been used
    Car kits once they have been installed
    Games, ring tones, downloads, Talk2Text and graphics
    Pre-pay airtime purchases (top-ups)
    Orange upgrades: Orange will not permit us to exchange your handset after the 7-day right to cancel.
    T-Mobile connections: T-Mobile will not permit us to exchange your handset after the 7-day right to cancel.

28 - day faulty exchange+*

We are happy to offer a refund or exchange if your product develops a fault within 28 days from you receiving it.

If you are returning a pay monthly product for a refund, there may be an associated airtime agreement that cannot always be cancelled. In this case you may prefer an exchange. See our return or exchange process below.

• Advertisement

daveym wrote:
    Oh and this is the policy off the UK site, if you are really a 'consumer' with an issue, quote this to them and you should be fine:

7 - day right to cancel* (phone or website purchase only)

As you will not have had the opportunity to examine your product before purchasing it, you are entitled to cancel your agreement with us under the Consumer Protection (Distance Selling) Regulations 2000. If you notify us within 7 working days from the day after receiving the product (the "Trial Period") we will provide you with a full refund.

If you have purchased a handset upgrade and are continuing with your existing airtime contract, you will not be entitled to cancel your airtime contract. See our return or exchange process below.

14 - day exchange+* (not applicable to e2save and One Stop Phone Shop customers)

If within 14 days of purchasing your product you are not entirely satisfied, we will be happy to exchange your product, where permitted, provided your return it to us within 14 days of receiving it.

See our return or exchange process below.

Exclusions to this policy

Handset only (SIM free)
    Hands-free units with earpieces that have been used
    Car kits once they have been installed
    Games, ring tones, downloads, Talk2Text and graphics
    Pre-pay airtime purchases (top-ups)
    Orange upgrades: Orange will not permit us to exchange your handset after the 7-day right to cancel.
    T-Mobile connections: T-Mobile will not permit us to exchange your handset after the 7-day right to cancel.

28 - day faulty exchange+*

We are happy to offer a refund or exchange if your product develops a fault within 28 days from you receiving it.

If you are returning a pay monthly product for a refund, there may be an associated airtime agreement that cannot always be cancelled. In this case you may prefer an exchange. See our return or exchange process below.

That was definitely the case when I was there, we had phones returned everyday, Anywhere I ever wanted to return anything in the last few years took it back no problem regardless of the reason for return I thought this was pretty much standard in all retail.

IF the OP was refused an exchange after one day its pretty poor customer care,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

In response to the original question, I will never shop there again after they tried to rip me off, and twice lied to me outright.

When I was upgrading my Meteor phone, according to Meteor's website, based on my criteria I was entitled to €70 credit - 20 up front, 10 a month for 5 months.

When I went to my local Carphone Warehouse, clearly stated I was upgrading with Meteor, and chose a phone, I was told that comes with 20 credit. I asked about the extra 10 monthly, and was told no, just 20 euro. When I pointed out that the Meteor website said otherwise, he told me Meteor had just changed their credit system and probably hadn't updated their website!

I had the printout from the website with me, and he said this was nothing to do with the upgrade, it was just an illustration of how much credit I'd get each month if I spent x amount. Which was nonsense. Given that Meteor's upgrade credit is based on how long you've spent/been with them, and the guy never even asked me for my number, it was as though he was just treating it as me geting a new phone from scratch.

I left, and mailed Meteor for confirmation. They came back and told me I was in fact entitled to a total of 100 euro credit, including 25 up front. And that I should clearly state I wanted an upgrade. And that CW should be able to do it for me.

Back to CW, different guy, I want to upgrade my Meteor phone please.
    - We don't do Meteor upgrades, you have to go to Meteor.
    But I was in yesterday and the guy said you did?
    - Oh, it's prepaid? then just buy a new phone. No difference between that and an upgrade.

I showed him a printout of the e-mail I got from Meteor, he gave me a new story about new stocks of phones, and credit system being different, and Meteor being wrong, then told me I couldn't have an upgrade, just a new phone, so I'd lose out on 80 euro of credit.

I left, went into Meteor in town the next day, and had my upgrade in two minutes. I also mailed Meteor to tell them what a shoddy job CW were doing selling their product. They just don't have a clue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭gonker

I bought a phone and insurance of them last week. The person I bought it for bought themselves one in the meantime. I brought it back yesterday they refunded the price of the phone and the insurance no questions asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I bought nokia cables on two seperate occasions from them on the understanding that if they didn't work for my phone I could get a refund, and I did, no questions asked. However I guess there is no commission for cables.

Advertisement