Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forthcoming vB 3.6 - the features that seem to be of interest...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

[snitch] Cool :) will be no more need to report siggies anymore *sniffles* [/snitch]

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

The infraction thing looks cool!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

zomg! THIS IS A POLICE STATE!

hehe. The Return of Rep?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

I like the option for mod to PM user about the infraction. Nice. Sig control looks good too.

Any timeframe for boards to move to v3.6?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Infractions are implemented as a user group permission (not a moderator permission) so you can also allow any of your users to give infractions if you desire. A hierarchical system is used such that:

1. Administrators can not be given infractions
    2. Super Moderators can only be given infractions by Administrators
    3. Moderators can only be given infractions by Administrators and Super Moderators
    Hmm... Does this sound to anyone else like it could violate the "mods are regular users outside their own forums" policy that boards has? If a mod was to start acting the pillock on another forum (unheard of, I know :o), the mod of that forum can't issue an infraction against them?

Huzzah for sig rules!

The RSS robot sounds interesting, but I'm not sure I see an awful lot of use for it on any of the existing boards. Any ideas on something new it could be used for yet?

For all the added AJAX, I wonder if they have added anything that actually looks like its doing something when you're sitting there waiting for it to respond?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

multiple quote
    ajax forum read
    linked quotes
    infraction
    sig restrictions
    RSS poster bot

REP!!!!

individual smod abilities

Pm quota check
    admin quota override

and lots more ajax :D I like :P

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

BCC on PMs. Delighted to see this mod made it into the next release.

The increased use of AJAX looks good aswell. Moving vB into a real "Web 2.0" application.

Infraction system looks interesting. One of those things which will need to be fully planned out before switching it on. It would certainly be a useful tool for deciding whether or not someone deserves a serious slap on the wrists or just a warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

You know, I think I may try out this beta to see how it preforms when its released to members.

I like the sig idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

seamus wrote:
    Moving vB into a real "Web 2.0" application.

Yer lucky you used quotation marks around "Web 2.0" - or I'd have to beat you silly for using god awful buzzwords.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Some of those look, bring it on.
    BCC Pms
    Infraction
    Multiple quotes, good.

New, REP FASTER system too.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

I like it. Especially the infraction system, and the fact that pages won't be reloading as much when you do various things.

When is it out?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

poor John Doe, nobody likes him :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I like it. Especially the infraction system, and the fact that pages won't be reloading as much when you do various things.

When is it out?
    Downloadable B3ta in the next few weeks.

Downloadable B3ta in the next few weeks.

I can't wait to try the infraction system, and see what admin extras there is.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Oh I like that infraction system too. It means that if (say) 5 mods slap a user, we can automatically put them in a premod queue and await an SMod or Admin to handle them. It allows for late night consensus between the mods but doesnt go as far as allowing roving gangs of mods to beat up on people :)

I also like the idea of being able to review a list of troublemakers who are causing aggro across several boards without doing anything so bad on any of them that they get banned.

We'll move to it when we're sure its stable. Theres load of change going on around here at the moment as it is!! :)

DeV.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

DeVore wrote:
    but doesnt go as far as allowing roving gangs of mods to beat up on people :)

Thats a shame....:(

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

I am looking forward to the infraction system.

As I'm sure Lemming and Blade are.

*watches entire FS section quake*

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

DeVore wrote:
    Theres load of change going on around here at the moment as it is!! :)
    Indeed. Have to say things are running smoother since new search came online. So kudos!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

CuLT wrote:
    I am looking forward to the infraction system.

As I'm sure Lemming and Blade are.

*watches entire FS section quake*

Yesh indeed

(bye bye adverts.ie - no just kidding, OR AM I)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

INFARCTION

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Nukem

Looks very fancy........old skool *sigh*

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

Woah woah woah- mod only rep? I have a feeling this is going to increase hitlermod lollercaust threads on feedback exponentially. w00!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Can a tiny bug be placed into the siggie limit thing so I can still have something to do? Lots of great features. :)

im using the beta right now. Its quite good, the infraction system is excellent.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

oohhhh new toys

** rubs hands with glee **

The best bit, is if you give a user infraction, by a setting in the vB options, it creates a thread in a selected forum to inform other users.
    Very simular to the reported posts thing.

I installed beta 1 at 11 this morning, then they bring out beta 2 an hour later :D

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

This is quite definitely NOT mod-only rep. It will hopefully be a very handy points system for the admin to look at a borderline case and decide if the user deserves some slack or not. I commonly do this with search, where I will look at a users recent posts and take those into account before I decide if they should be banned. Someone losing the rag once is one thing, someone who is a repeated troublemaker is another imo.

DeV.

By not mod-only rep, do you mean that normal users can use it?
    Because thats not what I see.
    As far as it looks, you click a button beside the report post button etc, upon doing this you have preset options and then a box for anything you like.
    An automatic PM is sent to the user when you do give them an infraction.
    Along with text appering under the post on the postview.

Does cloud have a test board running for you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

"Private Message Preview in Notification Emails"
    This is a great idea, was about to suggest that.

The AJAX stuff looks great, but stuff like auto-completion of usernames for buddy/ignore lists could put additional strain on the servers, as it is increasing (as I understand it) the amount of queries made.

Advertisement