Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fastest way to lodge "inter-bank" cheque..

Options
  • 07-06-2006 3:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43,884 ✭✭✭✭

Not sure if this is the right forum for this but seems the most apt - well, either this or 'Consumer Issues'

Anyways, got a bit of a dilemma here.

Going to Brussels 2 weeks today for a weekend. Getting my fortnightly pay-cheque a day before i leave on the Wednesday.

However, my boss issues paycheques from Ulster Bank and my bank account is AIB.. hence the dilemma!

It takes an average of 6 working days to get lodged into my account.. is there any way to get into my account by the weekend if it's lodged on the Wednesday? Don't wanna ask for the pay-cheque early or anything awkard like that.

I don't think Ulster Bank cash cheques unless you've an account with them so can anyone set me straight on a possible resolution? And really don't want to go about setting up an account in Ulster Bank.

Many thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

If you go to the actual branch (note: BRANCH, not bank) that issues the cheque, and bring id (passport etc), then you SHOULD be able to cash it.

The only way, where you wouldn't be able to cash cheques in the specific branch that issues the cheque is if it has a particular type of 'crossing' on the cheque that prevents this happening. This is quite rare, though.

p.s. i've cashed cheques in Ulster Bank, even before i had an account there. Just had to go into the branch that issued the cheque.

Do you need any more details?

The other alternative, which is more expensive, is to go with ID to one of the cheque-cashing businesses on Dame Street, Dublin.

This will cost you about 10% of the value of the cheque, so it is obviously only a last resort.

You need to bring photo ID and a proof of address AFAIR

You might have to try more than one of the places to get the cheque cashed, as they all have different rules.

The places start from the Dame Street/George's Street intersection down to near Dublin castle.

Although, i note from your signature that you are based in Sligo, so maybe this is useless info...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dermot_sheehan

One option if the bank that issued the cheque is far away is to very nicely ask the cashier at AIB when lodging the cheque to allow access to the funds. They may be willing to do this if you have a good history with them (no bounces) and/or if the cheque is from a large company or the government (unlikely to bounce).

actually, that's another good option gabhain7

as a final option.

you could lodge the cheque into a family member's bank account. You can do this, if you sign the top of the cheque, and go into the bank to personally lodge it into their account (with id). Then, you could ask that person to lend you some money on the basis of having the cheque in their bank account.

Not ideal, obviously, but just as a last option.

People wouldn't really view it as lending money, as they have the cheque in their bank account, and know it is going to cash as it is an employer cheque. And, they don't have to ask for the money back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,884 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Cheers for the advice and cheers Roundtower for the PM reminding me but was keeping a close eye on the thread.

Lodged my paycheque for today so can't check the branch on that but will try and find out tomorrow. I know there's only one Ulster Bank in Sligo so i presume it's there but i'm convinced i tried there before and they told me i needed an account.

But will definantly try it on my next payday.

gabhain7: good idea but not a 100% chance they'd go for it.. never had overdrafts with them or anything like that though!

I will try going to the branch with a passport and my paycheque the day i get the next one and hope for the best. Might contact Ulster Bank in the mean-time and ask them if there's any problems with doing this.

And if it doesn't work out.. will try and get a loan of the parents and re-pay them when i get back. Probably won't even go near the money from the paycheque when i'm away but would like to have it to be safe.

Thanks again for the advice!

PS - as for the cash-chequing businesses... 10% of my paycheque... i think not! :eek: :D

Advertisement