Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gravestone Rubbings

Options
  • 07-06-2006 3:51pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone know if one has to ask for permission to take gravestone rubbings in Ireland?

I'm thinking of doing some in an old church which hasn't been used in 100-odd years close to my house.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

I'd say go for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭arctic lemur

No i dont think so, when i was in primary school our teacher tok us to the graveyard to do this and i'm sure she didnt get permission! I'd do it, i mean you are not damaging the stones in any way right?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Yeah, that's what I was thinking myself. I may just mention it to the PP anyhow even though I doubt he's ever even been to the place :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Just call up a police station and ask, they should know.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭AdrianR

What's the best way of taking the rubbings? There's an 18th centuary gravestone on our family plot and some of it is very hard to make out.

• Advertisement

id say a piece of paper and a bright crayon or a 3D laser scanner if you have one :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭arctic lemur

A crayon and tracing paper as the image will come out clearer. I suppose the stones are all lichens being so old and that, making them hard to decipher.

but you should still get the indentation of the engravings

Advertisement