Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

flat screen monitor for pc and dvd use

• 07-06-2006 3:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭

hi all
    not sure if this forum, or a computer-hardware forum would be the best place for this question, i'll try here first...

i don't have a TV and don't want one, or to be obliged to get a TV license, but i *do* want to watch dvds.

so my plan is to buy a flat screen monitor, a dvd player and those little speakers you put 'round the room. we're talking really basic stuff here - budget equipment is fine. we've been watching on my laptop with cheap external speakers, so anything is going to be better than that.

i'd like to be able to use the monitor for my laptop and also for the dvd player, so a key question is what inputs/sockets does the monitor need to have, and what outputs do the pc and dvd player need to have?

apart from that, an idea of specs (contrast, speed, whatever) i should be looking for would be really helpful.

as a starting point, i see that dell are having a sale on some of their 19 inch flat panel monitors. Are they any use?

thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,942 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Dell monitors do a great job. While not cheap, I've got a Dell 20" Widescreen LCD and it does a great job with DVD's, highly recommend it.

You don't really need a DVD player, you could continue to use the DVD player in your laptop, there wouldn't be any difference.

Typically most good LCD monitors have two connector types, VGA and DVI. DVI is better and of a higher quality, but most Laptops only have VGA out, so that is what you would use to connect the Laptop to the monitor.

Now my 20" WS Dell is a bit more snazzy then most monitors and has a S-Video and Composite Video port. These allow me to connect my NTL Digital box, DVD player or Gamecube to my monitor to use it as a screen for those. However most monitors don't have these connection types, so if you are going to want to use a separate DVD player with the monitor, you will need to look out for monitors with these ports.

BTW you will need to get a Scart to composite video cable to get a standalone DVD player to work with one of these monitors.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭frost

thanks, bk, that's what i needed to know.
    it looks like widescreen monitors are a lot more expensive (640 euros for a 20" widescreen from Dell that has the ports you mentioned). hmm, might be cheaper getting a tele and paying the license after all!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,942 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

frost wrote:
    thanks, bk, that's what i needed to know.
    it looks like widescreen monitors are a lot more expensive (640 euros for a 20" widescreen from Dell that has the ports you mentioned). hmm, might be cheaper getting a tele and paying the license after all!

Dell runs sales all the time. I got the 20" WS for €540 and my house mate got his for €500.

Advertisement