Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blueberry programming question

Options
  • 07-06-2006 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭

My dad's after getting a blueberry for work and he uses it only to access his emails. He was remarking the other day that he can't gain access to stock prices or other info as it only supports email. I was considering how difficult it would be to work a solution for him. Basically he sends an email to some account that I specify, maybe with some parameters in the subject. I have a perl script sitting on a server which is continually checking for any emails coming in. As soon as one hits, use LWP/TreeBuilder to take down whatever info from the site he wants and than email it back to him.

As far as I can tell as long as the website doesn't use javascript I should be able to do all of the above with little difficulty. The reason I'm posting this is to find out if anyone has a better/cleaner solution to this problem or would suggest using something other than ruby.

Also does anyone know of an automatic way to access javascript forms? I'd like to be able to check my AIB account details but it uses javascript and seemed to be defeating LWP/TreeBuilder.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭bishopLEN

No offense, but you do mean BlackBerry.. yes ?

I also seem to have a problem with a 7290 BlackBerry. There should be a wireless email reconciliation* option and it is just not there. I have a feeling vodfone have it removed anyway back to you......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Thorbar

Doh blackberry you're right. Well I hadn't had a look at my Dad's phone until this evening and I'm after seeing that he's got an internet browser on it. He hadn't told me this. I'll probably just serve up a website for him with stocks and scores in a blackberry friendly manner, or try and find a version of this on the net.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

bishopLEN wrote:
    No offense, but you do mean BlackBerry.. yes ?

I also seem to have a problem with a 7290 BlackBerry. There should be a wireless email reconciliation* option and it is just not there. I have a feeling vodfone have it removed anyway back to you......
    Unrelated to the OP's question, but the Wireless reconciliation option is only available for Blackberrys on a BES. It doesn't apply with the Mobileemail system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭bishopLEN

seamus wrote:
    Unrelated to the OP's question, but the Wireless reconciliation option is only available for Blackberrys on a BES. It doesn't apply with the Mobileemail system.
    Vodafone are now going to send an "update" to enable the option on the BB.

Advertisement