Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What shall I do with my cod?

• 07-06-2006 5:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭

As a major foodie and boards regular I have decided to start asking for cooking ideas for even simple stuff as we all have our little habits and favourites that it can be good to see beyond sometimes!

Todays meal is cod, my fishmonger has given me two lovely pieces this afternoon. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

With the weather just toss it lightly in flour (muellerin art, I dont know the English for this sorry) and fry it, serve that with a mixed salad with vinaigrette.
    If you want, cut some large chips, I do mine on a foreman now and again. Nice big chunks of potato, brush them with olive oil and foreman them.

So what did you do with your cod then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

...you foreman chips? For how long?

...you foreman chips? For how long?

It's an inexact science, until they're ready is the best answer that I can give you.
    I find they turn out really nice, just a brush of olive oil over them and then on the foreman, moving them once or twice to make nice crosshatch patterns :o Stab for readiness as with any potatoe.
    The last time I did it was with baby new potatoes halved and unpeeled, they were really nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

Ah crappit. I'm too late to suggest, but will do so anyway.

I like a good wallop of flavour with cod, so what I would do is make some extra garlicky pesto. Pop the cod skin side up on a pyrex plate or baking tray, rub the top with salt, pepper & a little olive oil. Grill till crispy, then flip over, pop on a spoon of pesto & grill for a minute more until done. With this I would have a roast flatcap mushroom, cherry tomatoes roasted until split, loads of lettuce & some boiled baby new potatoes.

But er, as a bleeding heart hippy liberal I don't buy or eat cod anymore. :'(

• Advertisement

Shabadu wrote:
    But er, as a bleeding heart hippy liberal I don't buy or eat cod anymore. :'(

My first suggestion was gonna be "Dont buy it" but I decided to be nice and answer the question.

Damn us hippies!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Blub2k4 wrote:
    It's an inexact science, until they're ready is the best answer that I can give you.
    I find they turn out really nice, just a brush of olive oil over them and then on the foreman, moving them once or twice to make nice crosshatch patterns :o Stab for readiness as with any potatoe.
    The last time I did it was with baby new potatoes halved and unpeeled, they were really nice.

Give me a ballpark - minutes? hours? 45 mins? I'm really curious.

I'd have said about 25 minutes, I can do it again over the next few days, I cut, blanched and froze off some chips last night so they are there ready to go.

I'm very domesticated when it comes to the kitchen me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

Blub2k4 wrote:
    So what did you do with your cod then?

When I got the cod in the fish monger I could tell that it was good fish, when I got home and looked at it closely I actually got excited. Everything about it just screamed quality. I put it skin side down in a hot pan on olive oil, when it was half way done I popped under a heated grill with a little salt and pepper. i basically just let the heat and oil do the work. Served with basmati rice and fresh shelled peas. It was truly was divine and an absolute pleasure to eat. I couldn't have been happier!

Advertisement