Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you keep your old passport when renewing?

Options
  • 07-06-2006 6:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭

I'm going to have to renew my Irish passport in the next few months. Does anyone know if you can get your old one back when you renew it (or will I end up losing all the stamps and visas that I've collected over the years)? In Spain they cut off the back cover (to destroy it) but let you keep the rest.

I know that it's possible to claim you "lost" your passport and they will issue you a replacement for a higher price (I think it might cost about EUR 150 for this service). Besides the extra cost, I wouldn't like to do this because if I was unlucky enough to really lose it or get it stolen after making a claim previously then they will only give me a passport that's valid for one year. Trying to renew my passport every single year would be a nightmare...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Gandhi

I got mine back the last time, and it just had "Invalid" stamped across all the pages. All visas and stamps were still quite visible. This was about two years ago - and it was via the consulate in NYC. Though I presume they send them back to Dublin for the actual processing. You could always phone them up and ask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭themole

you will get it back.

they stamp it with invalid and cut off the corners

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Indeed, as themole say they stamp Cancelled or some such on all the pages and cut the corners off (Obviously the international sign for nackered passport)

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭elivsvonchiaing

Be warned - they cut off the corners of the front only: easy to pick the wrong passport if you are stupid enough to keep them in the same drawer.

(You may know who you are- not sure ! :p )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Afuera

Thanks guys for the replies. Glad to see that they let you keep it (or most of it anyways).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭themole

Be warned - they cut off the corners of the front only: easy to pick the wrong passport if you are stupid enough to keep them in the same drawer.

(You may know who you are- not sure ! :p )

hmm,
    they cut all 4 corners off mine.

Maybe the person who did yours was getting a bit lazy :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭elivsvonchiaing

themole wrote:
    hmm,
    they cut all 4 corners off mine.

Maybe the person who did yours was getting a bit lazy :)
    Complaints were made. Must have hit home 'nuff said!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Norinoco

One of the girls im travelling with got her passport renewed before leaving last october.
    They kept her passport and would not give it back - she was gutted, had loads of stamps in it.

Personally, when Im renewing the passport im going to say I lost it. Not taking the chance...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Norinoco wrote:
    Personally, when Im renewing the passport im going to say I lost it. Not taking the chance...

They won't be impressed if you really lose one in future - probably be flagged as one to watch. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Norinoco wrote:
    the passport im going to say I lost it. Not taking the chance...

Then you'll have to declare it lost which means more forms etc. You also can only do it once or twice and after that they'll refuse to issue you a passport at all!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Norinoco

Well the one I have is valid until I’m 30, another 10-year visa will get me to 40 - have a feeling my travelling around the world may have slowed down by then...

I’m not saying that everyone should 'lose' their passports...just saying be sure that you are going to get it back. I would be devastated if they kept mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭cuppa

yea but u dont get to keep your old drivers licence ,with your secy pic when u had hair.

Advertisement